Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2015, 06:45 PM   #1

Keystone Montana or Jayco Pinnacle

Looking to get our first RV once we move out of California.

Originally we were looking at a used New Horzions but it's going to take a lot more truck than we really want to deal with. We've decided to go with a lighter 5er so the truck will almost certainly be a Ram 3500 dually as I don't want to be pushing the limits on the truck even with the lighter trailer.

At this point the two at the top of our list are the Keystone Montana and the Jayco Pinnacle. The DW has requirements for the kitchen and I'll only have a RR and so far these have met our basic requirements.

Just thought I'd ask about theses two manufactures and models when it comes to quality and customer service. Jayco Pinnacles two year warrantee is a real plus in my book since I've generally found that the longer the warrentee usually equates to higher quality.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2015, 07:18 PM   #2

I owned a 2008 Jayco Designer which was basically the predecessor of the Pinnacle. I compared and shopped long and hard before buying it. We owned it for 5 years and it was flawless. Compared to the Montana (at the time), it had a double stacked boxed frame compared to the standard Lippert I Beam frame which was on most others. It also had Dexter axles instead of Lipperts.
Jayco is a privately owned company that has been around since the dinosaur and is a rock solid company.
If the wife had not wanted to trade up to a motorhome, we'd still be enjoying it.
Montanas are fine too, but IMO, Jayco is a better choice.
I'm sure most Montana owners will disagree though. ;-)
Old 05-03-2015, 01:29 PM   #3

In my very very Humble opinion I would go with the JAYCO Pinnacle 5TH wheel over the Keystone Montana 5er. I am speaking from experience with Keystone products and I have stated to the DW that I would never buy another Keystone product again. Enough said.

Jim W.
Old 05-03-2015, 06:11 PM   #4

I agree ... I owned a Jayco and made the mistake of going with a Keystone and had nothing but problems! After 2yrs I took a hit and I just bought a 2015 Jayco eagle and at this point couldn't be happier. That's how much I disliked the Keystone. I for one will never buy or recommend a Keystone product!!!!!
Laredo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:33 PM   #5

The Montana is an ok model and competes with a dozen other upper scale 5th wheels. The Pinnacle IMHO is slightly better, especially if it comes with a better stacked frame.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 01:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
The Montana is an ok model and competes with a dozen other upper scale 5th wheels. The Pinnacle IMHO is slightly better, especially if it comes with a better stacked frame.
As to the frame, I don't think Jayco uses the boxed frames any more. I believe my 2008 model was the last year.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:45 PM   #7

My old stacked tube unit was so flimsy that the roof was hard to stay chalk.
I appreciate my 12in I beam unit.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:06 PM   #8

Not that this means much, but we see a ton of Montana fivers out in our neck of the woods...
pismocouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 06:37 AM   #9

Keystone is boss in my area but like Jayco they are weak on axles and tires.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:32 AM   #10

IIRC Montana is the #1 selling 5th wheel in it's class. Has been for quite a few years. With that being said that doesn't mean it's the best built. McDonalds sells a lot of burgers too if you know what I mean.
Our next trailer will probably be a Jayco. I don't think they're head and shoulders better than any others. But the two year warranty is a plus. Some will say no biggie to the two year warranty. And I used to think that too. Our current 5th wheel has front cap fading. Common across all brands. However if we'd had a two year warranty it would've been fixed. Unfortunately it started fading after one year.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 12:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by caissiel View Post
My old stacked tube unit was so flimsy that the roof was hard to stay chalk.
I appreciate my 12in I beam unit.
Don't know what you had, but Jayco did not use stacked tubes. It was a double stacked boxed frame.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
IIRC Montana is the #1 selling 5th wheel in it's class. Has been for quite a few years. With that being said that doesn't mean it's the best built. McDonalds sells a lot of burgers too if you know what I mean.
Our next trailer will probably be a Jayco. I don't think they're head and shoulders better than any others. But the two year warranty is a plus. Some will say no biggie to the two year warranty. And I used to think that too. Our current 5th wheel has front cap fading. Common across all brands. However if we'd had a two year warranty it would've been fixed. Unfortunately it started fading after one year.
Jayco sent me the basic information on the 2016 models. Lot's of new standard and optional features.

Some of the biggest are:
  • Larger battery area for up to 6
  • Backup camera prep (don't know what cable they are using)
  • 23cf RR. I've only seen them tat big in custom 5ers
  • Some new exterior utility panel (I have no idea what this is)
  • LED lighting under the upper deck slides
  • Changed from Suburban 12 gallon to Atwood 10 gallon water heater
  • Looks like they dumped the Dyson and went back to the central vacuum
  • Looks like the Fireplace is no standard
  • Don't think they have a blue-ray player yet
  • Room for 3rd propane tank

I'd sure like to see inside pictures of the 36RSQS with the slides retracted.

Tags
jayco, montana