Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2014, 05:34 PM   #1

Keystone Mountaineer 295 RKD Question

Hello, I am new to this forum. Selling my house & planning to live full time in a fifth wheel (when I'm not out traveling with my Living Quarter horse trailer). Been looking at a Keystone 295 RKD. Love the floor plan. Has anyone here had any experience with the Mountaineer models? This is the only website with any positive reviews, the ones on the internet are pretty scary.
Thanks, Carol

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2014, 08:37 PM   #2

Keystone is just like the mass produced units, possibly THE most mass produced one. To be honest, I've seen the most questionable work done on those. Things that just make you wonder why. Maybe it's because there are more out there, but still. Sure, they are ok, but for living in, they obviously aren't the best. What kind of full time living? Just sitting still and making it into a house or constantly on the move?

Old 03-24-2014, 07:43 AM   #3

I've had a Mountaineer 324RLQ since 2010, purchased new. I have had zero problems related to the manufacturer. A 32" TV failed the first month I had it. Other than that zero.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:45 AM   #4

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I have a Keystone Cougar 318SAB which we bought new in 2010. I have had two small issues with the unit when new and both where fixed by the dealer to my satisfaction.

The first was found on the walk through which I call a PDI (pre-delivery inspection) the other occurred about two months later and was fixed under warranty. We have used the trailer as a light destination type unit and have put on 24,000 miles on the trailer. Would I buy another Keystone product yes!!!

Now if you are planning on using the trailer as a full time unit I would make sure that the trailer can be equipped with double pane windows. I would install the second A/C unit in the bedroom and make sure the trailer is equipped with a high quality tires such as Goodyear or an LT Michelin; will save you money down the road.

Some people think you should able to deal directly with the manufacture but you really need to deal with the dealer since he is responsible for the sales and service of the Keystone products. This is why some people are negative towards the Keystone product. My answer to them is do you contact Chrysler, Ford and or GM for your truck warranty issue; NO you contact the dealer why not the same with your trailer.

Just my $0.02

Jim W.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:07 AM   #5

Keystone Mountaineer ?

Thank you for your replies.
I will not be hauling too often, maybe a couple times a year, between NC (summer & fall) & FL. One of my main concerns is, is this is a good 4 season RV? It gets cold in NC & I agree the double pane windows is the way to go. They say they have a "Glacier Package"??
Honestly, if I could, I'd love a Northwood "Artic Fox". Heard they are great 4 season RVs. Wouldn't mind a TT but none have washer/dryer preps??
The Mountaineer does look great & I'm glad some of you have one. If I get one, I will definitely look into better tires (LT Michelin) & I will research the service department where I buy it.

Any other suggestions on a RV manufacturer for a good 4 season? I need to stay around 29' or so because of some of the places I want to camp. In the mountains..
Old 03-24-2014, 09:09 AM   #6

You will do well with the unit of choice.
There are 1000s of Keystone units in our area and the dealer is great and biggest in the area. Sells only Keystone products. Dealer makes the difference. Every owners are very satisfied.
Totally agree that winter needs double pan windows.
We own a Big Country by Heartland and winter season is no issue for us to. The Gateway or Greystone units might be ok. The lighter Prowler has been coming on but doubt the windows applications.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:32 AM   #7

There is no industry standard for "four seasons" or "arctic" packages, it's all sales pitches.
You have to dig deeper to find out insulation R values, if the underbelly is enclosed, heated, insulated. See if the plumbing and tanks are heated or not.

I have seen few bumper pulls with washer/dryer hook ups, but have seen them pre installed.

For living, I would only get a 50A service unit. No lack of power there.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:29 PM   #8

A lot of people do full time in Montana's, the Mountaineer is a Montana with out the BLING. We had a bad hydraulic ram for the bedroom slide that failed almost immediately, and our table cracked. Both issues were taken care of by the dealer. Since then only loose screws and such. I would not call the Mountaineer a 4 season unit, doesn't do to bad in the 20's but IMHO thats about the limit. You need the bedroom AC unit a few time a year. Might not need a full 13.5 BTU unit but the 15k main unit does need help. What ever you get make sure it's a low profile unit. BTW the W/D prep is for a Splendide combo unit, not stackables.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailrider22 View Post
One of my main concerns is, is this is a good 4 season RV?
The short answer to your question is no, it is not a good four season unit. I have the "Arctic" package, or so it says on the build sheet. When it gets down in the high 30's, you'll blast through propane almost as fast as you can change the tanks. You can supplement the propane heat with electric, but be sure to chain the electric meter down as the little wheel inside will spin fast enough to lift it off the pedestal. As for air conditioning, you'll ned the second unit for the bedroom, at least 13,500btu. Don't let the dealer try to tell you otherwise.

All in all it is a good unit. But, as much as I am a fan of Montana’s, there are other better insulated made for full time use units out there, but they are likely to be much larger then the Montana you are considering.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:35 AM   #10

Mountaineer

Hi,

I am going to Lazy Days RV near Tampa in the morning to check out a few campers. I'll probably piss off the salesperson with all the detailed questions I'll ask. I've discovered that most of them have never & will never spend any length of time in an RV.
My last camper was a ?? fifth wheel, OK I forgot the name but it was nice until my ex ran under an large oak tree branch with it. What a mess.

As far as a washer /dryer, A Splendide unit is all I need. Might ask the maintenance department there is they can rig one up in a TT.
Thank you for all your posts. I'm sure I'll have more questions later.