Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2016, 03:26 PM   #1

Kind of long rant about Camping World and Forest River

We called Camping World of Calera to have some warranty work done to our Forest River Wildcat. When I called they told me they I could bring it down there in two weeks. I was fine with that and waited two weeks and brought it down that morning of July 30/2016. There were a couple people in front of me and I waited until it was my turn. I gave them a list of problems we had with our 5th wheel about 12 in all. Everything from broken hinges to fresh water not registering on the meter to the awning separating. The service advisor told me he would be on vacation the following week but assured me they would be working on my camper while he was gone. So I left it there for the first week and waited until the following Tuesday to call him and see how it was going. I was told everything was going well and that they were still looking at it. I said ok and waited again and called back that Friday to see if everything was getting done. I was told they ordered the parts and that 3 of the things they could not find anything wrong with. So I explained to them where they problem was and they said ok I will go out right now and take a look at it. Well another week goes by and I call to see if the parts have come in and they tell me no not yet. So I decide to call Forest River to find out that the delay is. Forest River informs me that no parts have been ordered for my camper. I call Camping world back and I’m told they will call me back. That was on a Tuesday. I never hear anything back so I call everyday that week and get the same response that someone will call me back. I can say with all the calls I have made they might have called me back twice. Well they finally order my parts three weeks after I bring it in. ( I find out later that they didn’t ever look at my camper until the Thursday. Why make an appointment for Saturday and keep it 5 days before even looking at it.) So I finally get the service manager at Camping World and its just a nightmare. Excuse after excuse not taking ownership for any of it. The parts are on order now he tells me. I said I was told that before and they straight out lied to me. So now I call Forest River and they tell me everything is in except the window and awning and that it will go out right away. Well I guess right away means when ever they get to it because I have been calling they now trying to find out when they will ship my parts. At first they said they had everything but then changed there mind and said they were waiting on a part. When I questioned them on it and said you told me it was in last week he checked and said oh yes it is in we will get this out today. Well today was 6 days ago. He said call me tomorrow and I’ll give you the tracking info on it. Well I have called everyday last week and got the same thing. Call me back tomorrow and I’ll have it for you. After talking to the Parts manager at Forest River I finally got informed that they are shipping everything except the awning and window today and gave me that tracking info. They have had my 5th wheel for over 6 weeks now and by the time they get the parts it will be Friday or Monday and then they have to install them I will be looking at 2 months that they have had my camper. My wife would like to know who is going to make the 2 months worth of payments because we have not had the camper. I’m at my wits ends not sure what way to turn on this hole thing. The sad part is even when we get it back next week I will still have to bring it back for the window and awning. What would you do????

Sorry for the rant just going crazy.

Lenny
lennyd96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2016, 03:39 PM   #2

Don't be afraid of paragraphs; they are friendly.

See if you can find the owner of the store, write a letter and follow up with a call.

Find the head of CampingWorld, send them a letter and follow up with a phone call.

Do both at the same time. Going to the top some times helps.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 03:41 PM   #3

Avoid camping world if it's at all possible. Do a search and you'll find many similar posts. If you have to go because a FR warranty then talk to the manufacturer and let them know about the deplorable service.

2012 NuWay HitchHiker 363RSBDA, 2016 Ford F-350 Dually 6.7
Old 09-12-2016, 03:41 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Too bad that's what it took to make you join in with us.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 03:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexters View Post
Don't be afraid of paragraphs; they are friendly.
Sorry I had just got off the phone with both and my hands were still shaking or I would have put everything neatly.
lennyd96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 03:47 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds very familiar!

I just had one warranty repair that needed to get done (a bathroom ceiling vent) for my Minnie Winnie.

I called at one point (luckily, I didn't leave my RV there) about a couple of weeks later and they said they they were waiting for the parts.

Then, I contacted Winnebago's Customer Service and they told me that the parts were shipped, when they were, and who at CS received them.

I then called Camping World and raised hell.

To make a long story short, they did the repairs a few days later.

Camping World Service Dept. = NEVER AGAIN!
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 04:13 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I haven't had CW do any work on a MH since around 2001. Had them install a larger inverter, thought they would do it correctly and they didn't! That permanently changed my feelings about their service department.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 05:45 PM   #8

Sorry, didn't realize you were new to this forum. Welcome! Hang around there's a lot of good info here. Good luck on your CW debacle.

2012 NuWay HitchHiker 363RSBDA, 2016 Ford F-350 Dually 6.7
Old 09-12-2016, 05:56 PM   #9

Sorry for your problems. But Will say do a search on camping world. All your post had to say was "camping world" and people would have known and do feel your problems.
Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 06:17 PM   #10

I agree Camping World is less than competent, but it also sounds like Forest River dropped the ball, which is sad.
Old 09-12-2016, 07:00 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Part of the problem, as I found out first hand is that manufacturers don't like to pay for shipping. The parts are usually shipped inside new units being delivered to the dealer, and unless you complain or it is a common part, it takes forever to get parts. I had my last parts (defective slide seal) shipped directly to my house and I installed it myself.

My dealer also lied to me about work being done and parts being ordered. Not excusing CW but they are not alone in the defective dealer department.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:49 PM   #12

A few weeks is nothing try six months which is how long it took CW and Jayco to deal with our issues fortunately it was over the winter. They both threw each other under the bus several times. It was quite pathetic and quite disrespectful to me the customer who had recently shelled out tens of thousands of dollars for their product. I have since decided that they just don't care otherwise you would not hear so many horror stories over and over about the same things especially CW.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:02 PM   #13

Take a look at this--try to find all 8 parts--you will see that it is an industry-wide problem.
Anything to sell, never any service...

Opinion: The RV industry death spiral – Part 1 | RV Daily Report

Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:13 AM   #14

Sorry about your Camping World experience. That is just about the same thing I went through, but it was only a couple of more minor problems. They never really fixed anything right. I wound up doing it myself, correctly.
Texastbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping