Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2015, 08:06 AM   #1

King Jack or Winegard Sensar IV?

I want to replace the original Winegard antenna on my 2001 Sierra 5th Wheel. I don't tow it. I'm in a seasonal park.

I talked to one owner in my park who has a King Jack Antenna Replacement Head--part #0A8000. I talked to another owner in my park who has a Winegard Sensor IV Antenna Replacement Head--part #RVW205. They're both happy with their antenna.

I'm not sure which one to buy. If you have either one of these, please let me know if you're satisfied with it. Thanks.
_

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2015, 10:11 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
The Winegard replacement head will receive more distant stations(35 + miles) then the Jack

Old 05-26-2015, 11:43 AM   #3

Not sure about the Wineguard but the Jack works much better than the originals. I don't even bother raising my jack antenna most of the time and it still picks up channels very clear.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:57 PM   #4

I decided to buy the Jack Antenna Replacement Head by King Controls (Part# 0A8000) from my local rv supply store for $49 plus tax.

Thanks to those who replied to my post.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:03 PM   #5

Let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombucz View Post
I decided to buy the Jack Antenna Replacement Head by King Controls (Part# 0A8000) from my local rv supply store for $49 plus tax.

Thanks to those who replied to my post.

I am seriously thinking about going with the Jack. However my current antennae is fixed, not the crank up type. I will be putting the Jack in the location of the one that mounts on the roof.

Would like to know how you like it!!
Old 05-27-2015, 12:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittsnbirds View Post
I am seriously thinking about going with the Jack. However my current antennae is fixed, not the crank up type. I will be putting the Jack in the location of the one that mounts on the roof.

Would like to know how you like it!!

The one I have is the replacement head for the standard crank up type but they do make a King Jack the is stationary.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:37 AM   #7

The stationary one is what I'm looking at. My Sprinter has a short fixed unit that doesn't work for $%#*!

Something that will adjust would hopefully help. Even though I may have to get on a short step ladder to adjust (ceiling is high) it would be much better.
Old 05-30-2015, 05:25 PM   #8

It is important for those posting to make certain they are comparing apples to apples. To compare the Jack to an older bat wing is apples to oranges. The ONLY true comparison is the new Winegard Sensar vs the King Jack. Please be specific in describing the two you are testing.

Now here is the other BIG consideration. There are basically three bands that TV stations transmit on. Low VHF, high VHF and UHF. If all of the stations in your area are UHF then you may find different results when you travel to an area that has VHF stations. With no data or testing on my part, I would tend to think that both antennas do about the same for UHF based on others data. My guess would be that Winegard will do a better job on VHF stations just because their antenna has longer elements. Has anybody tested VHF stations in both low and high band VHF?

One more confusing item. Just because a station comes in on channels 2 thru 12 on your "dial", it does not mean they are transmitting VHF. You have to go to a web site that tells you their RF transmission channel. The new fangled sets have virtual channels, which means that they might transmit on channel 36 (UHF) but your tv picks it up as channel 4. Confusing isn't it.

antennaweb.org is a good site to go to that tells you the RF frequency used, their virtual channel and exactly where their transmitter is located. I use it every time I pull into a ne RV park to orient my antenna.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:32 AM   #9

That's all good info, but the big question is which antenna will be the best application for RV use? Some of us don't have the technical knowledge to deal with the different types of signals. We just want TV stations. Especially if your in an un-familiar location and bad weather is coming in. One local channel would be good for weather/news information. I have been in that situation before. The POS that they put on my roof doesn't work unless the transmit location is next door!

After all that let me rephrase my question, "which antenna will do the best overall job?"
Old 05-31-2015, 02:57 PM   #10

Well, I installed the sensor upgrade on my Old batwing and frankly the reception is awesome. We get Boston stations from Portsmouth, NH with no problem. 50 miles plus. Florida also a piece of cake. A tuning meter is a big help to get the best signal as well.