Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-26-2011, 05:14 PM   #1
King Pin Tripod

What does the group think, do kingpin tripods reduce movement, or just the money in my wallet?

badge2283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2011, 05:34 PM   #2
Tiffin Owners Club

Del & Charlotte
RVing - Time well wasted
2004 Phaeton 40TGH w/ 2010 Acadia
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:06 PM   #3
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Dont know... I've seen lots of people with front/rear jacks down AND a tripod... never understood why...
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:27 PM   #4
Another forum I frequent did an unoffical survey of items purchased that turned out to be pretty useless: King Pin Tri-Pod topped the list. A few said it did help some when running the washer and dryer, but most said they couldn't tell any real difference other than the lightness in the pocket book.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LT Ext Cab 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, GY 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:42 PM   #5
I think it helps, so long as you set it up right, as it should be tight. I place each leg on a concrete block due to the amount of snow and melt we get in winter. Otherwise it would just be lose in wet soil between thaws.

Where it helps is when our 2 year old jumps at other end of RV and DW is sleeping as she works nights. It reduces his movement at the other end.
Its Paid For is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:11 PM   #6
Tiffin Owners Club
The length of the 5er will influence the advantage of the tripod I think the longer ones benefit the most. Ours was 38 ft and the addition of the tripod made a noticeable difference.
Del & Charlotte
RVing - Time well wasted
2004 Phaeton 40TGH w/ 2010 Acadia
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:21 PM   #7

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Does a good job of reducing side to side motion if installed properly. Borrow someone else's and try it out to see if it works for you. If you like it, buy the aluminum one. Much easier to handle.

If we were to do it again, I would try the JT Strongarm or the Plug-it-Rights instead of the tripod.. Lots of good reports on those.
Dave & Jo Ann
'08 HitchHiker Champagne 35LKRSB | '11 F350 Lariat 6.7PSD
Half Dimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:01 PM   #8
Have to agree with Dadeaux's thoughts. My K/A 38' has a built in tripod and when set down snug on solid base makes a world of difference. My triple axle 5er has Moryde so don't get any benefit so to speak from the wheels, depending on landing gear and rear stabilizers
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:09 PM   #9
we can tell a definite diffrence really helps to hold down on the side to side movment especially when DW is in the bedroom moving around
mbass777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:43 PM   #10
We have a 38' Carriage. We started with a Bi Pod in 1996. It helped a bit. Dutch added an extra set of arm jacks to the very end of our coach several years later and it helped a bit more. Still not satisfied we tried again and have been very happy with our permanently mounted stabilizers for over 5 years for eliminating movement when someone is walking around inside, when the washer is on spin cycle and in the wind.
I'm sure there are some folks who are very happy with their Pi or Tri Pod but it just didn't work for us. Diana
2015 1 ton auto single cab 2 wheel drive 3500 Ram Dually. Western Pearl Brown, 410 Aisin Trans, Pace Eds roll top cover. 1996/2015 3axle Carriage, BF Auto Level, TST Tire Pressure Monitoring System, Plug It Right Stabilizers.
Dutch & Diana Irrgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:31 PM   #11
I tried a borrowed tripod a few times and returned it. I now have a much more stable 5er using two between the tires home-made chocks. Two feet of 3/8 all-thread and two tapered 4x4 blocks cost me close to $4 for each side.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:49 AM   #12
Take a look here at the Winfield cross braces. The folks with the Titaniums swear by them. Also, if you are handy, you can make your own for a few bucks (I think I spent about $20 and 2-3 hours) I thought I had photos but can't find them Home

Mine along with between the wheel chocks, one BAL and one home made have taken 90% of the rock out. Folks I have spoken with that have the tripod - not very happy.

I'll be building rear jack braces this spring to help even more.

Without building a complete foundation for the chassis to rest on, little chance of 100% stability as long as the unit is on sprung tires
Dave W along with my DW, Susan and our poodlepups, Callie & Molly,2011 Ford F250 6.7 CCLB, 5er Hitch Option w/B&W Hitch,,Ride Rite air bags, 2014 Montana High Country 343RL (38')
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:27 AM   #13

I too have a 39 5er and found that between the landing gear and the rear stabilizers down along with wheel chocks do the most to stop sway. I tried a tripod once and didn't like it at all. Too hard to set up and store and from what I could tell it didn't help with sway. All that said, I sure see a lot of them in campgrounds... just not on my trailer.
-Paul R. Haller-
Paul R. Haller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:32 PM   #14
We think it reduces movement some but we mostly use it to keep DH from running into it and needing stitches, which he has done.

Jan & Thomas
2012 Drv Mobile Suite
2012 Ford F350 Super Duty
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote