Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-26-2010, 07:57 PM   #1
Kingpin Stabilizer?

Do I really need a Kingpin stabilizer? or can I get along without it.....I have scissor jacks between my wheels.......I used with my TT and plan to use with my 5th wheel

Great wife, and traveling companion
2011 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Ext Cab 4X4 6.6 Diesel Duramax, Allison 3:73
2010 Coachmen Northridge 320 RLQ 5ver
32coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2010, 08:17 PM   #2
Excel Owners Club
It does help with some of the trailer movement. For short term I do not use but do use one for long term stays. Short term to me are two to three weeks.You can always try it with out and if the movement bothers you, then invest in one.

BookIIRoadtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:42 PM   #3
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i used one for long stays as well, it helped with the front end wiggle
in fact i have my old that needs a new home.
USN Retired, Life time member of the DAV.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, no your eyes are fine, there are 6 slides
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:35 PM   #4
I think you'll be more happy with a jack stabilizing system like in the link below.
Welcome to JT's RV Accessories
2006 Silverado 3500 CC DRW 4x4 LT3 D/A
2009 Fuzion 393 Touring Edition
TrailerSaver TS3 - BrakeSmart
high desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 12:46 AM   #5
No you don't have to have one, yes the front end wiggles a little but it's really not that bad. I have never used one and don't think I will - I live in my trailer during the work week and it's not bad even with the front living room. I just put the stab jacks down in the rear and enjoy.
1994 Prowler 295 Front Living Room.
1990 Ford F350 CC Dually Diesel.
Argve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 12:40 PM   #6

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We have the aluminum tripod and are satisfied with it. It's not a necessity but does take most side to side wiggle out for extended stays. We use it in conjunction with Roto-choks.

Some folks are bothered by movement more than others. If you're not sure you need one, see if you can borrow one and check the difference.
Dave & Jo Ann
'08 HitchHiker Champagne 35LKRSB | '11 F350 Lariat 6.7PSD
Half Dimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:01 PM   #7
After being unhappy with our bipod for 8 years, we've been using Plug It Right Stabilizers on our personal 38' Carriage for over 4 years. Diana
2015 1 ton auto single cab 2 wheel drive 3500 Ram Dually. Western Pearl Brown, 410 Aisin Trans, Pace Eds roll top cover. 1996/2015 3axle Carriage, BF Auto Level, TST Tire Pressure Monitoring System, Plug It Right Stabilizers.
Dutch & Diana Irrgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:51 PM   #8
Excel Owners Club
We use our tripod when we are staying somewhere for more than a few days. We can live fine without it, I think we just get used to the small amount of movement.

At the same time, when we have been using it for a while and then move, and don't set it up, we always notice its abscence for a few days.
2014 F350 Dually Lariat 4x4
Sir Reginald the Cat who lets Big Mike and Jean travel with him.
bigmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:22 PM   #9
I think on a lighter trailer yes, I have gone from a 24.5' 9k rig to a 36' 14k rig and I don't hardley notice any movement in the heavyer unit. I really would have tried one of these stabalizers on the lighter unit if there were not so many other cool toys to buy.
2010 GMC 3500HD Duramax CC, Dually, 2008 River Canyon SATSO 36' Triple Slide.
Grimreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 02:26 PM   #10
you dont have to use one, typically i see them used more in situations where the 5th wheel is being parked and lived in, or for long term storage.

shipwreck1 is offline   Reply With Quote