Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-21-2010, 08:12 AM   #1
Send a message via Skype™ to scottsandy
kingpin support

Has anyone ever made a sort of "sissor-jack" supoort for the kingpin on a 5th wheel? I have seen some discussion on the advantages of having a support there (yes the movement bothers me) and I wanted to try and build my own. I thought maybe a bi-pod like structure made out of 2X6 or something like that. any ideas?

scottsandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2010, 10:08 AM   #2

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Side to side motion is usually the issue. I've used a commercially available aluminum tripod for several years that does a good job for us. If I didn't already have the tripod, I would be looking at a product like JT or Plug-it-Right stabilizers as a means of stopping that movement. If we're going to be set up for several days somewhere, I also use a Wayne's stabilizer under the back of the rig.

Dave & Jo Ann
'08 HitchHiker Champagne 35LKRSB | '11 F350 Lariat 6.7PSD
Half Dimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:00 PM   #3
Usually side-to-side movement is not an issue. Front-to-back movement is an issue. Some of us made our own wheel chocks to eliminate front-to-back movement. These are treated 4X4 wood blocks held together with 3/8" all-thread. My cost to make, around $6 per pair. They clamp between the tires to stop wheel movement. If you look around the RV accessories for sale threads on any RVing forum you will find the king pin tripods/bipods for sale.
I agree with half-dimes that the Plug It Right trailer stabilizers are the best option.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:56 PM   #4

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Good point about wheel chocks. I have used Roto-Choks for so many years that I forgot about them in the motion equation. Roto-Choks eliminate the front to back motion but not side to side motion. We may get a bit more side to side motion because we have hydraulic levelers. While they're great, the rear ones are mounted right behind the rear wheels, leaving a substantial overhang both front and rear. With that, the rig tends to 'waddle' a bit when someone walks around inside the rig. It seems to bother me more than my wife. The tripod takes most of it out. For extended stays, the Wayne's stabilizer on the back finishes the job.
Dave & Jo Ann
'08 HitchHiker Champagne 35LKRSB | '11 F350 Lariat 6.7PSD
Half Dimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:03 PM   #5
Winnebago Owners Club
If you're going to go to the trouble of making your own king pin support, make it a tripod rather than a bipod.

We've had both kinds (commercial manufacturers), and found that the tripod took out more "wiggle" than the bipod.

On our current fifth wheel, we had JT's installed...they take out ALL the "wiggle," even when our washing machine is in the spin cycle.
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul
LindaH is offline   Reply With Quote