Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2013, 06:30 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Kitchens

Which is better a rear kitchen or center kitchen on a 5th wheel camper? And electric furnace or use propane?
Another question how many rv camp sites can a 30 ft 5th wheel fit into compared to a 35 to 38 ft one ? I'm a newbie at this and need advice . Thanks in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2013, 07:44 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetl82 View Post
Which is better a rear kitchen or center kitchen on a 5th wheel camper? And electric furnace or use propane?
I like the middle kitchen we put dinette table in back large window area make a great view.

Quote:
Which is better And electric furnace or use propane?.
Lots of 5vers have both. Ac on top can be heat pumps and heat and cool.
After the temp drops heat pumps stops working then propane furnace kicks in.

Quote:
Another question how many rv camp sites can a 30 ft 5th wheel fit into compared to a 35 to 38 ft one ? I'm a newbie at this and need advice . Thanks in advance.
I had a 32.5 for a long time now I have a 38 foot, no difference to backing and getting in. Still at first inside I though 6 plus more feet. But wow the living space with those 6 feet are great. We full time and it's nice. Yet I know a lot who live ft in 29 feet.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:14 PM   #3

We had 3 fifths, two with middle kitchen one with rear kitchen. Honestly, rear kitchen. offer great utilization of space, particularly in smaller rig and DW like the fact that she had that area "to herself" when preparing the food and didn't have to toss everyone out because they were underfoot. The down side is that it is the worst place for things like dishes, pots, utensils, food stuff, etc. Every time you go over the bump or a ditch that motion is duplicated in the rear kitchen. Storing things properly so they don't fly all over is a real challenge and you have to come up with proper containers for everything back there.
Size of the rig doesn't matter anymore, most of the recently built campgrounds can accommodate any humongous rig you might buy. Some of the older and smaller campgrounds can be a "challenge", but that "challenge" is commensurate with your backing skills. We've been going to this old campground in Port St. Lucie Florida for couple of decades and I always draw a crowd when I arrive. They want to see if I can do it.

That's a 40 footer I backed into that slot, with that Volvo semi, from a blind side. I told the guy with the pickup he didn't have to move it.

hjs
Old 06-28-2013, 06:46 AM   #4

We originally wanted rear kitchen but changed for the bounce reason and the freezing water lines and drains that I figured would be worse. We fulltime in the cold usually. We had a couple of people with rear kitchen that they couldn't keep from freezing
Old 06-28-2013, 08:11 AM   #5
JDT

We have had our rear kitchen for a year now and find it does give a more open feel to the living area. I do as much cooking as the wife and find the layout on ours to be extremely efficient. We did opt for a portable island with a counter top and cabinet that really helps with counter space. Also, we don't find much movement in our stuff. Just did a 225 mile trip with some rough roads and had to stand up 2 plastic wine glasses that had tipped.

As far as length goes just remember the longer the heavier and the bigger truck you will need to pull it.

We have both heat pumps and gas furnace but don't cold weather camp much. I use the heat pumps if the temps are above freezing.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:44 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have had 2 5ers with rear kitchens. I have to honestly say that i rarely see things askew from bouncing around. the last 11 years my 5ers had rear kitchen, and i have only had 1 broken coffee mug.

Once you understand the principals of backing an articulated combination into a parking spot, the 32 to 38 feet doesn't make that big a difference.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT View Post
We have had our rear kitchen for a year now and find it does give a more open feel to the living area. I do as much cooking as the wife and find the layout on ours to be extremely efficient. We did opt for a portable island with a counter top and cabinet that really helps with counter space. Also, we don't find much movement in our stuff. Just did a 225 mile trip with some rough roads and had to stand up 2 plastic wine glasses that had tipped.

As far as length goes just remember the longer the heavier and the bigger truck you will need to pull it.

We have both heat pumps and gas furnace but don't cold weather camp much. I use the heat pumps if the temps are above freezing.

Few years back we almost bought an Excel similar in layout to your 34RKM, what we liked that with the kitchen in the back, that living room area really stood on its own and gave it a much more spacious feeling.

hjs
Old 06-29-2013, 06:39 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
We also have the rear kitchen. We ended up trading for this one because DW liked the floor plan so well. We had two previous fivers with center kitchens. We have FTed for 6 years now, and have had this rig for a year.

We are very pleased with the rear kitchen set up. The difference in kitchen space and workability is absolutely amazing! Both of us can actually be knocking around in the kitchen area without it being a big issue. I too was concerned about stories I had heard regarding issues with bouncing in rear kitchens, so talked with a bunch of Excel rear kitchen owners before pulling the trigger. Our experience in some 6000 miles at this point with this rig is that we haven't really seen any significant difference.

This may vary by manufacturer, I don't know. I know I have been told that frame, suspension, shocks etc can make a big difference regarding rear bounce. I have also been told that PI makes specific adjustments on the rear kitchen models to account for different weight distributions-but have no idea if that's accurate or what that might be.

But we LOVE the rear kitchen. It also has a second door going right into the kitchen. While I was a little hesitant on the usefulness of a second door on a fiver, we have gotten to like it a lot. Groceries go right in the back door-and in and outs for happy hour and appetizers etc come right in and out the kitchen.

So that's our experience. Good Luck.

bigmichael is offline   Reply With Quote