Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2013, 11:56 AM   #15

Lots of reasons for all the floor plans. We like and do best with the front bedroom, mid kitchen, rear living area. We have a second A/C for the bedroom and we only have to go up the stairs to go to bed (well the bathroom is up there, too). The kitchen in the middle places most of the "heavy" stuff right over the axles and the rear living room means we can "relax" in the area with the most space and windows. As others mentioned, though, that's just the way we like it. Have the max storage, best view while relaxing, very stable kitchen area and a cozy bedroom. The bedroom front and living room rear also means that I or DW can stay up and the other can go to bed with minimal interference since the two areas are at opposite ends of the rig. We looked at the "mirror image" of that with the front living room...didn't like the closed in feeling of the low ceiling or the constant upstairs/downstairs of the kitchen being lower. I'm amazed at how often we go from living room to kitchen and back again. Not an issue with the rear living room/mid kitchen design.

Get what works for you...for "your ideal", it will be perfect regardless of what others would choose. My "why" is going to be different than others preferences, that's why they make the different designs; something for everyone out there!

Don & Bronwyn + 1 Cat; J-Lo
2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX (AKA, "The Cat House")
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Towed
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2013, 02:04 PM   #16

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I agree with webslave, I like the front bedroom, mid kitchen, and rear living room. Now saying that, it is what ever you and your better half like for a floorplan. What works for one, doen't mean that it will work for someone else. There are pros and cons with every floorplan, so get the one that makes you and your better half happy, then enjoy it to the fullest.
Frank

Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:45 PM   #17

We have rear kitchen which is what the wife wanted. She likes the idea that there are three separate rooms. With the rear kitchen and the tv located on the wall between the living and bedroom when someone is working in the kitchen they do not walk between it and the living area.
But as everyone has said there are different strokes for different folks. So get what works for you and enjoy it.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:57 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Our first 5th wheel had a rear kitchen. After living with it a few years, all of them since have been mid-kitchen. Just our experience....

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:25 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

We bought a new 2000 Keystone Sprinter 250RKS (mid-profile, 25' long, rear kitchen with one big slide). Loved the layout, with only one minor gripe: On the road we had to slide the slide room out a few inches to get into the restroom. But that became as routine as putting the steps down to get into the trailer. Only 25' long but well designed to be comfortable for two old folks. It had a GVWR of 7,900 pounds, and we loaded it to the GVWR, so our '99.5 F-250 CrewCab diesel was overloaded by a coupla hundred pounds over the GVWR of the tow vehicle. We drug that 5er all over the USA for 10 years and over 100,000 miles. The only problem was we couldn't drive at night because we didn't have air bags to bring the headlights back down to earth. But we never towed at night, so that wasn't a big enough problem to justify he expense of installing air bags.

Darling Daughter is now living in that 5er, and we bought a smaller TT we can pull with an F-150 tow vehicle. The TT is about 19' long with center kitchen, front bedroom and rear bath. The TT doesn't have a slide, so only one person at a time can walk around in the center of the trailer. If Darling Wife is in the kitchen and I need to go from the bedroom to the restroom, then I have to squeeze past her. So I wish the TT had a rear kitchen.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:04 AM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a center kitchen. I would think that, from a safety standpoint, that would be preferable. If there is a kitchen related fire, you stand a better chance of getting out of the rig.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:55 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebreeze View Post
I have a center kitchen. I would think that, from a safety standpoint, that would be preferable. If there is a kitchen related fire, you stand a better chance of getting out of the rig.
So, just asking....if someone is in the living room, and you have a grease fire in the center kitchen, and the entrance door is in the center, how does the person who is in the living room stand a better chance?

Jim
Old 05-07-2013, 06:04 AM   #22

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamvir View Post
So, just asking....if someone is in the living room, and you have a grease fire in the center kitchen, and the entrance door is in the center, how does the person who is in the living room stand a better chance?

Jim
My thought exactly. the best chance to get out in a from the BR or the LR is to NOT have to exit the kitchen if there is a kitchen fire. With that said, I wouldn't buy one simply if that were the only think I liked about.
bigmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:53 PM   #23

Excel Owners Club
Our 36' Excel Rear kitchen has 2 doors. Makes exiting easy in case of fire or to slip out on folks who come to the other door that we don't want to see. Lol.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:01 PM   #24

Our Cougar High Country 299RKS was our choice because almost all center kitchen models we looked at for that weight class had the LR in the rear, but the entertainment center forward of the kitchen. With our rear kitchen, the LR and entertainment center are as they should be. We feel we get the most counter space and pantry storage with this floor plan.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:06 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We liked this one:
Columbus Palamino 340 RK: