Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2013, 05:00 PM   #1

Kitchens: front or rear?

Which do you prefer and why?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2013, 06:12 PM   #2

We have a center kitchen now - bedroom "upstairs" and living room in the rear, with the entrance in the center - coming into the kitchen. Works ok for us now, but when we retire we would like either the NuWay 39 CKRD or Excel 38 RDE - both are excellent quality rigs, and they trailer nicely - people who have them do not have problems with their stuff in the cupboards.

We wouldn't like a front kitchen - which would be "upstairs". The people who have them or have had them for the most part say they don't like going up and down the stairs that much - you might be surprised how often you go from the kitchen to the living room, or from outside to the living room.

In addition to the quality, what we like about these floor plans is 3 distinct living areas - we don't like the "great open feeling" that most of the floor plans are like. We also like the idea of having 2 entrances - one in the rear and the other in the center. And with this setup you still have the large rear window so you can see the great views. Also, both floorplans have a desk that is separate from the entertainment center

But the bottom line is - get the floorplan you like. To know what that is, you have to "live in" several rigs. By this I mean spend some time in them, watch tv, play games, pretend you are cooking, using the bathroom, etc (but don't get too carried away in the bedroom if you know what I mean ). Even then, you might not be entirely satisfied until you have owned one for awhile. What everyone else tells you is the best floorplan, that's only the best floorplan for them - not you.

And above all, take your time and enjoy the hunt - it's almost as fun as owning one.

Jim

Old 04-15-2013, 06:13 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to GreatWhite Send a message via Skype™ to GreatWhite
Well, after a lot of angst.. we decided on our first RK. I was afraid things would be tossed around, cabinets thrown open and goods spilled on the floor. Our first (only) trip so far is on the "wonderful (not)" roads of Calif. Nothing spilled out.. worked like a charm. We have a nice mor-ryd suspension on it.. and maybe that helped.

The pros are.. it's a great layout. Don't see any con's yet.. but, I have no idea what the long term will dish out. I was going to say check out my prior post.. but, it's on another forum.. the replies said "go for it" n "we'll never turn back"

YMMV.. good luck
Old 04-15-2013, 06:44 PM   #4

I should have stated centre kitchen, not front.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:35 PM   #5

All of our kitchens have been center, I think (just my opinion) that it helps with the load weight for the camper. I think that food and such carries more weight than clothes and other belongings for the most part. I say if you like to cook alot get a kitchen that has a lot of counter space. Our first two TT's had stove and sink close together and not alot of space to prep or place dishes or even mix so when we upgraded to a fifth wheel I now have a wonderful cook space. . I think the others have said it, it is really what you prefer and feel comfortable with.
volvosweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:48 PM   #6

Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Tugboat
We had a Jayco 31E that was a rear kitchen and thought we would all ways get a RK now we are waiting for our new 5er has a center kitchen drivers side.
Tugboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:59 PM   #7
JDT

We have a rear kitchen in our Excel and no complaints. Works well and lives well. We did get a portable island and pull out counter extension and have plenty of counter space. We also eliminated the standard J sofa and had a regular one put in which opens up the floor space.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:11 PM   #8

We selected a center kitchen with a large island and 4 door refrigerator/freezer. I'm a serious cook. I do not like others getting in my kitchen work space so the island acts as a "barrier" which I prefer. We wanted an RV because I would rather cook than eat out, even on vacation! I believe your kitchen at home and in your RV should fit your lifestyle. I spent many hours thoroughly checking out kitchen layouts and the choice we made is perfect for my meal preparations and the way we live and eat!
Crikket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:50 AM   #9

We have a rear kitchen in ours. I have nothing to compare it to because that's all we've ever had, but I can say that we've had no problems or complaints with items falling out of cabinets or shifting while traveling. We are happy with the set-up.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:04 PM   #10

Thanks for your opinions. I think either would work as long as the counter space is sufficient.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:41 PM   #11

Center when you come in the door wuth groceries, I like a rear living also because with the big window in the livingroom your looking at the mountains, beach or landscape, front living you are limited to windows due to the front cap.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:03 PM   #12

phil & linda

we have the infinity fifht the 3870fk front kitchen my wife loves it big kitchen liveing room in the middle bath and bed in back
Old 04-24-2013, 09:28 PM   #13

Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Tugboat
Mid kitchen

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130424_222810.png
Views:	154
Size:	267.3 KB
ID:	37526
Tugboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:32 AM   #14

Excel Owners Club
We ended up trading rigs in part because the DW fell in love with a rear kitchen floor plan we went through. We have now had it for nearly a year, and like it very much. Lots more kitchen storage than we ever imagined (we too have the portable center island). The Excel RK floor plan includes a rear door which goes directly into the kitchen. Happy hour apps, drink refills, groceries etc, all can be accessed directly through the rear door which is actually quite handy.

But as others have said, go with what you like and works for you. Some like one thing, others something different.

bigmichael is offline   Reply With Quote