Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2020, 09:16 AM   #1

KZ RV quality

We are currently looking for a fifth wheel with a porch not a toy hauler model. Durango Gold has a model the 382mbq. When I read reviews online I see most reviews are not great. Looking for some help. Not new to camping, but want the next unit to be the one for a long time.
MFR560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2020, 09:59 AM   #2

Lots of RV shows started yesterday and run through end of February. Which state you in? I’m going today and I will keep my eyes open for you. Looking for our 2nd one.
THEHOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 10:00 AM   #3

Or go here and order this catalog.

https://rvbuyersguideorder.com/

New 2020 one just came out.
THEHOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 10:30 AM   #4

We are located in North Alabama. Thanks I appreciate that I will de doing some research as well.
Old 01-03-2020, 11:00 AM   #5

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFR560 View Post
We are currently looking for a fifth wheel with a porch not a toy hauler model. Durango Gold has a model the 382mbq. When I read reviews online I see most reviews are not great. Looking for some help. Not new to camping, but want the next unit to be the one for a long time.
I have a '17 Durango 1500, and am mostly happy with it. Go over to Home | KZ Family Forum and post your questions in the Durango forum, there. Lots of Gold owners. Edd505, who's on here, also is a frequent poster there, and owns a Gold. Good resource...

Lyle
Old 01-03-2020, 11:13 AM   #6

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFR560 View Post
FWIW, there are several of these relatively near you listed on RVTrader. 1 in KY, 1 in MS, 1 in OK and 5 in TX. May be more out there, but that's what came up on a quickie search.

Hall's RV in Albertville is listed as a KZ dealer and they're showing a '19 in stock, on closeout. https://www.hallsrvsales.com/rv/2019...82-MBQ-DUR4975 I'm =ass-u-ming= you've seen it.

Lyle
Old 01-03-2020, 01:57 PM   #7

Evergreen Owners Club
I have a 382 MBQ. purchased new at last year's tampa show. Only issue I had was the furnace had a bad board. Was fixed under arranty. Very impressed with the build quality. Especially the frame. Best fifth wheel I've had so far.
ac5501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 06:50 PM   #8

Lyle yes I’ve been in contact with the sales people there. After the last RV we purchased just really want to know how they hold up because our current FR 5er has done nothing but leave me unimpressed when compared to our keystone travel trailers. Don’t really want to lose money to go down another money put like we currently have. I know everyone has issues but we can’t even let ours sit in storage without something breaking.

Thanks
Ryan
Old 01-03-2020, 10:32 PM   #9

Of the KZ Golds I looked at they seem to be built pretty well. Or at least as good as any other 5th wheel builder.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 12:39 AM   #10

KZ RV Club
Had my KZ Durango for a couple of years now, thousands of miles. Had a few issues, nothing major. All in all, well built.
Remember, most people only write reviews if they are unhappy, so take them with a grain of salt.
Old 01-04-2020, 08:28 AM   #11

We had a 2014 KZ travel trailer toy hauler. There wasn't a straight line or square corner in it and the upholstery was ugly as sin. But the little bugger was solid and we had no problems, not a single one. If buying another trailer I'd certainly consider KZ.
Old 01-04-2020, 11:01 AM   #12

KZ offers a 2 year bumper to bumper warranty. Take it with a grain of salt I suppose but, when our 2013 Northwood FM dark brown cap faded beyond return after 1.75 years of ownership I was on my own. Jayco with their 2 year warranty fixed owners caps for free. While a 2 year warranty may seem like no big deal to some it could be a gold mine to others.
Not a deal breaker but it's something to put in the plus column.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 08:37 PM   #13

This may be pertinent.....then again, it may not.

We have a 2008 K-Z Escalade that has given us very few problems. Since we bought it, we had gone by the K-Z Service Center every year to have the rig checked out, pick up any parts we might need, recaulk all the seams, or even repair a delam in the area next to the generator access door. (It helped that we lived 18 miles away from the factory at the time and could drop the unit off and leave it for as long as needed.)

We called for an appointment in 2015 (after Thor bought them in 2014) and were told the service center no longer had time to fit non-warranty customers in. They said all available service time was now consumed by warranty work and repairs and Thor did not support factory repair of units that were out-of-warranty. In all the years this person had worked there, they had never seen this many quality issues with their rigs. They apologized and said Thor's policy was that we go to an authorized K-Z dealer for any service we might need from now on. After trying that, I can tell you the dealerships do not have the knowledge nor level of interest in servicing our rig that K-Z Service used to have when it was owned by the family.
mb36912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 09:54 PM   #14

KZ RV Club
Thousands of mile on my 2017 and every issue I have had was with things KZ installed, not manufactured. ie: Norcold fridg stopped on electric, Suburban stove oven temp wouldn't adjust properly. KZ replaced the stove, Norcold covered their fridg at local repair. Lippert slide hydraulic ram lost a seal after warranty, I paid.

KZ did have issues with cabling for TV, Sat, & cable; many end connectors not making contact. I know a few had water leaks at the water control panel with clamps leaking. (drips not poring) While annoying they are not structural issues and easily fixed. I fixed rather that wait for a dealer.

Been camping in 20 degree to 110, major rain, snow and ice with no issue.

Bottom line would I buy another? I a heart beat, love the floor plan, just what we were looking for. The 2020's are reportedly even better, we will see.
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality