Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2012, 04:28 PM   #1

KZ STONE RiDGE

I recently ordered a new kz stone ridge 38fl 5th wheel. I've been researching this line for the last few months, but there are no dealers stocking these units in our area. We attended the rv show in tampa mainly to see these units and of course all the other 5ers. When we got there we were told that stone ridge had just come out with a new model that was literally brand new. A front living model. We looked at it and fell in love with it and after looking at several other manufacturer's front living models, we ordered one equipped like we wanted from berryland campers in ponchatoula, la. My questions is simple, are there any forum members out there who have bought a stone ridge unit? If so, what are your impressions of it? Quality? Fit and finish? I'm not a "newbie". I've been rving for 7 years and have owned 3 5th wheels, all cardinals, so I appreciate that there is no such thing as a "perfect" camper, just one that fits your needs as you see them.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2012, 04:50 PM   #2

Thumbs up Just took delivery on a 37RB

Just took delivery on a Stoneridge 37RB. This is our 3rd RV and still going over it. No major complaints so far but have found some slips in attention to detail. KZ did go out of their way for us since we ordered it at the end of the model year and they had made some color and other minor changes. But they took the time to build our with the 2011 colors and designed we had seen. The heater vents do not have dampers in them so I will replace them myself. Front bedroom get to hot rear doesn't get any air flow at all. Dampers in the vent will relieve this. A piece of trim under kitchen counter was a little short abd when sitting in reclining chairs stands out. A few nicks in paint on interior windows and footprints all over underside of loft matress. We are still going over it and personallizing it only had it for a week. Hope to go on a short maiden voyage by end of Feb or beginning of March. We did have some custom work done by KZ abd feel they did an out standing job.
PS: need practice driving with this beauty 10' bigger than last one

Old 02-03-2012, 06:00 PM   #3

that's a really nice plan. Did you get the power package with the 4 point leveling and the automatic power cord reel? I 'm anxious to find out how well the levelers work. When I ordered mine, i thought it was an automatic leveling system, but it is a remote control independent electric jack system. Some owners say they prefer that to the automatic. yours is a tad longer than mine. it's 39'-11" and yours is a couple of inches longer. My cardinal is 36'-8", so an extra 3 feet shouldn't be much more difficult to handle. Please keep us informed on how the unit checks out.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:31 PM   #4

Like the lvling but..

The 4 point leveling works great wish it was 6 but only complaint so far is the pads behind the rear wheels are only a few inches off the gound looking to see if I can raise them a little. Going to pick up one of those electronic lvl sensor with remote so I can watch whats going on no matter what corner I'm at. Saw one for about $80. The power reels is nice but have to carefully feed the cord on the spool to keep it from bunching up.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:32 AM   #5

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
KZ RV Club
We don't have a Stoneridge but do have an 07 KZ Montego Bay and have hade no problems with it yet (execpt that time it was attacted by a tree branch). We have a very good KZ dealer and service has never been a problem. We have been in several Stoneridge models and do like them a lot. I would recomend KZ to anyone but I am a little bias because I own one and have not had any real problems.
The Montego Bay we purchased was built for as a show model so the fit and finish is very good. The dealer knew what we wanted and as we approached them at the show the first thing the salesman said to us was " I have the 5er you are going to take home with you today." He was right but the only problem was that we went to look and didn't expect to buy so we took no extra money with us. They sold the unit to me on a handshake with no deposti and just told me to come to the shop on Monday to square up with them. That act alone made them my dealer for life-I'm very loyal to someone who treats right.
I am very happy with KZ and think they give a good product for the price.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:31 PM   #6

Leveling system and power reel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meterguru View Post
The 4 point leveling works great wish it was 6 but only complaint so far is the pads behind the rear wheels are only a few inches off the gound looking to see if I can raise them a little. Going to pick up one of those electronic lvl sensor with remote so I can watch whats going on no matter what corner I'm at. Saw one for about $80. The power reels is nice but have to carefully feed the cord on the spool to keep it from bunching up.
X2.

We have a new Durango, so it's quite a bit smaller, but has the same features. The leveling system is pretty easy to get used to and I have no problem with the cord reel. Don't know how I got along with anything else after using it. And, like the others, between KZ and my local dealer, they are great to work with.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:05 AM   #7

Florida Cooters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
KZ RV Club
Hi Mike, I had a look at that same unit and was very impressed by it. I was also very impressed with the chat I had with Andy, the KZ rep who was there. As I said, I really liked the forward living room, but as I haul a bike, the Stoneridge just wouldn't work for me.

I do have a 42' KZ toyhauler, and have been extremely happy with it so far. On the basis of my experience, I would say you couldn't go far wrong with your new unit. Incidentally, the dealer that was displaying the KZ's in Tampa, Arrow RV, is who I bought mine from. Don is the ow ner, and I cannot say enough good about him and his operation.

Wow... that kinda turned into an advertising plug, didn't it? Sorry...
DpDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:25 AM   #8

KZ RV Club
I was concerned with the rear leveling jacks also and raised them a couple inches.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:04 PM   #9

We got our unit last week and took it on a short trip. I love the leveling system. The rear jacks are so close to the rear wheels that i don't anticipate any problems with them. I can see where going up a steep driveway with a curb might cause some concern though.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:43 AM   #10

Thumbs up Cannot complain about StoneRidge

We have had our new rig for over a month now still haven't gone on our maiden voyage and getting a little antsy. Our dealer Family Camping outlet was great, special thanks to our Rep. Andy who had his hands full with us. We had many special requests that were both performed by the factory and the dealership. We got caught in the model year change and some of the things we liked we changed for the new year. But the factory came through and gave us the best of both. They gave us the colors from 11 and the other improvements from 12. My hats off to KZ. We did find one other issue and thats is we got the hitch on the rear for the bike carrier or cargo rack. It makes the back of the the RV over 4" closer to the ground. I've add a roller to the hitch and the frame to help prevent and hard scrapes.
We have the 37RB extra Bedroom/loft and 1/2 bath. Accommodation for lots of grand kids. We had them leave out the extra bathroom door that goes into the master bedroom, and removed the wine racks and gave us shelves, we're not big wine drinkers so shelves were better.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:47 PM   #11

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by meterguru View Post
We have had our new rig for over a month now still haven't gone on our maiden voyage and getting a little antsy. Our dealer Family Camping outlet was great, special thanks to our Rep. Andy who had his hands full with us. We had many special requests that were both performed by the factory and the dealership. We got caught in the model year change and some of the things we liked we changed for the new year. But the factory came through and gave us the best of both. They gave us the colors from 11 and the other improvements from 12. My hats off to KZ. We did find one other issue and thats is we got the hitch on the rear for the bike carrier or cargo rack. It makes the back of the the RV over 4" closer to the ground. I've add a roller to the hitch and the frame to help prevent and hard scrapes.
We have the 37RB extra Bedroom/loft and 1/2 bath. Accommodation for lots of grand kids. We had them leave out the extra bathroom door that goes into the master bedroom, and removed the wine racks and gave us shelves, we're not big wine drinkers so shelves were better.
You can't beat the people at Family Camping! Bill and his gang were a BIG factor in my decision to go with KZ and I have no regrets.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:52 PM   #12

How is the camping for you KZ campers? We took our Stoneridge out for the first time this last weekend.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:46 AM   #13

Any KZ owners in Iowa or Nebraska follow this blog?
Old 11-18-2013, 03:52 AM   #14

New RV maiden voyage

Its been over a year now and made a few trips with our StoneRidge. Started with a jaunt to Maine, stayed for 6 weeks in June/July Balsam Cove Campground, only complaint I have is they charge extra for pets. Passed through NJ for a short stop over at home. Experience our first problem with the camper. Combination of poor design and a steep driveway. There is a half bath in the back of our RV and a drain pipe back there. The drain pipe is about6" off the ground and near the back of the trailer. While backing into our drive we hit the pipe. We hadn't noticed until somebody use the rear bathroom and it was dripping out. I took it up to my KZ dealer (Family Camping Outlet) where they found that I had snapped the connection at the tank and a new tank was needed. This was putting a cramp in our plans since we had family from Maine with us and were supposed to be heading for NC. After a few phone calls with KZ they were able to get them to crate up a new tank and freight it out. This was a Friday and they had the tank Monday and installed by Tuesday. Of course this was not covered under the warranty but they were still a great help in getting it repaired so quickly. We were now headed south for a short stop over in Tarboro, North Carolina to visit family. Had our second problem while there. Trying to retract the awning one of the hydraulic units that keep tension on the awning froze and would not allow the awning to retract. We had to cut through its rod to get the awning up. Then off to western side of NC and Moonshine Creek campground. Its a little campground but we love it. Then it was off to Virginia, Wildwood campground. It was under new management and we found it very pleasant. He was debating joining KOA, I believe he did finally. Back to Maine and then sadly we headed home. It was a 5 month adventure, our longest yet. But we have been grounded since. So only minor issues with the camper, The broken tank, frozen tension cylinder, we did have trouble on some of the near 100 degree days keeping the camper cool. Would only get to the mid 80's inside. The backup camera would fail intermittently.
The only other issue I have with KZ is some of its dealer will not handle warranty work if they did not sell you the camper. This was a little disappointing since I have a dealer 30 minutes form me, they just don't sell the StoneRidge line. My dealer is a little over 2 hours away. I just want the camera looked out but they (Stones Camping World) would not honor the warranty since they did not sell me the camper.
We have now finally sold our home and after tying up a few more issues we will be full time RVers discovering the US

Tags
kz-rv