Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2007, 03:13 AM   #1

I am looking at a two bike rack that attaches to the rear ladder. Anyone have experiences with these...problems?
thanks

Forest River Sierra 35'11" 5th
Flametheus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2007, 03:13 AM   #2

I am looking at a two bike rack that attaches to the rear ladder. Anyone have experiences with these...problems?
thanks

Old 01-22-2007, 04:59 AM   #3

I really don't think that the ladder was meant to support bikes. We had our bend with the bike rack and 2 bikes on it. Our friend had theirs break loose from the back dropping both bikes. I would look for another solution for hauling bikes.
Old 01-28-2007, 03:59 AM   #4

Thanks, I could put a hitch style rack on the back of the fifth but that seems like overkill. I'll hold off and see what other options there are. Hope my wife doesn't get too tired pedaling back behind the fifth.

Old 01-28-2007, 07:59 AM   #5

I have used bumper mount racks, receiver hitch mounts, and now a ladder mount. If you are only carrying one or two bike, I think the ladder hitch is the best and most stable.

I can't understand how a ladder can/should support he weight of a 250# person, but can't support a couple of 20# bikes? Never had a problem with ours.

2002 F-350 PSD, CC, 4x4,
cdrcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 09:23 AM   #6

Thanks cdrcos. Just today I ran into (Figuratively) a guy that had one on his RV with two bikes. He has been hauling them for 3 years and no problem. Think I may get the one on ebay for 49USD if I can't find a cheaper one. Don't need it til March.

Old 01-30-2007, 10:34 AM   #7

While working at an RV supply store , I had the luxury of trying different bike racks. The first one I tried was the ladder mount. I didn't care for it as the bikes got beat up from banging together, plus it blocked the tail/stoplight. You also had to almost hold the bike over your head to hang it up. Next was the type that fastens to the 4 inch square bumper and has two arms that stick out to hang the bikes on. On a trip on a rough road, one of the arms bent down and I wound up dragging the wheel of one of the bikes. Also womens bikes require an adapter as the bikes are hung from the cross bar. The last one I tried is the best one. It again fastens to the 4 inch square bumper, is made out of square tubing, and has a place where the tires fit down into a slot, similar to the bicycle racks found at some schools. This is the best arrangement by far. It spaces the bikes apart so they don't bang together, and once the bikes are removed, provides a handy place to put a grill, etc. Be aware that if you have a rear storage compartment, that in most cases the bikes have to be removed to open the compartment.
2002 Jayco Eagle 300FSS Travel Trailer, 2005 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 w/Duramax, RDS 60 Gallon Toolbx/Tank Combo, Edge EZ, Boost Stick, Bilstein Shocks, Michelin 265 MS2, Isspro Pyrometer and Boost Gauges, ARE Topper, Honda EU3000
Roy W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 12:42 PM   #8

Good rundown on racks. I appreciate the insight.