Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2017, 07:32 AM   #1

Ladder Hazzard

We all know the ins and outs of safety when using the ladders attached to our RVs. I want to tell you of a recent experience I had.

We were at home. Our slides were out and I wanted to move them in so I could wash the RV. I went up to the roof to sweep any debris from the tops of the slide outs.

As I was preparing to come back down the ladder, the left rail that attaches to the roof, pulled up. It's a two piece assembly and it came apart.

NOT a good feeling 13 feet in the air.

The part that attaches to the roof has a conical star type piece of metal the grabs the inside of the ladder tube. It appears it was only grabbing the very bottom of the tube.

I removed the baseplate from the roof and readjusted the star so it would grab the tube further up. Reattached and reapplied lap sealant.

All is good now.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2017, 07:46 AM   #2

Glad you are OK, and got it fixed so easy and cheaply.
Noelj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 07:53 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
First thing I did was buy a heavy duty ladder so I'd never have to use that piece of danger
Old 08-11-2017, 09:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
First thing I did was buy a heavy duty ladder so I'd never have to use that piece of danger
x2
Glad to hear you're OK too!
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:31 AM   #5

X3.
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 06:01 AM   #6

All ok here. Once I found the battery to jumpstart my heart.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:42 AM   #7

The ladder did not have set screws to hold it into the holders?
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 03:44 PM   #8

No, it's held together internally. There's a screw on the bottom side of the baseplate that goes thru the star type piece of metal. Tightening the screw makes the star grab the inside of the ladder tube. Or it should.
Old 08-12-2017, 04:37 PM   #9

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Several years ago, on a previous rig still under warranty, I complained to the dealer that the ladder did not seem to be stable. I watched the tech pull off three screw heads with his finger. Apparently at the factory, someone had over torqued the screws that held the ladder on the back of the rig. Rather than back out the screws and do it right they used some caulk to reattach the heads.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:32 PM   #10

That is why most RV's have Slide Toppers. Glad you are safe and got it fixed so easily.
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 05:17 AM   #11

Toppers on my short list for next year.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:53 AM   #12

While I would like slide toppers($1800 installed for my rig) I still see value in getting on the roof frequently and easily. I have been using this ladder for the last 4 yrs.

Xtend & Climb 770P Aluminum Telescoping Ladder Type II Home Series, 12.5-Foot https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JIL0WU..._wHXKzbXBGCSTH
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:46 PM   #13

I like to save weight wherever possible in the trailers I have owned. BUT - one place I refuse to save weight is on ladders. I do not trust the flimsy little ladders on the back of trailers, too light, too narrow and they just do not "feel safe". So I have always carried a "real" ladder. My new 5er is 13-5 tall and safety is the primary concern when working on it. I used a friends Gorilla 22 ladder and bought my own right after using his. Heavy - yes, expensive - yes, stable - yes, safe - yes. Working construction for over 50 years I know a little about ladders and love this one. No I do not work for them, own any stock, have relatives working for them or get free anything from them. But I do eat my Wheaties (and need them for this ladder).
plain ol Bil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:00 AM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I set my 8' ladder right behind the RV ladder and only use the top 2 steps of the attached ladder to get on the roof. They are very flimsy for sure and I've tightened all the screws which does nothing. I'm going to put a slide-out support underneath the bottom rung for support while we're parked. It says 300# capacity but my 225 makes it deflect 2".
Oldelevatorman is offline   Reply With Quote