Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2015, 08:07 AM   #1

Ladder question

The 5er I'm looking at has all the nice options except a rear roof ladder. Can they be added after market. Have you done this? Any problems or concerns?
Clicker1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2015, 08:13 AM   #2

Yes easily added. My choice is a portable lightweight ladder, you will need one as well.
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:42 AM   #3

Mid Atlantic Campers
If it doesn't have one, it may be because the roof can't support a person's weight. That's what the manufacturers are doing to make 'ultra' lights besides shrinking tank sizes, etc.
Old 01-18-2015, 04:29 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First, how big are you: Though RV ladders claim to be able to support a full size adult.. Well, if he's 5' tall and slender, Perhaps.

If he is 6'+ and heavy set..... NO WAY.

I replaced mine with a much stronger convertable (Step/Extension) mine is not easily stowed (but there are compartmetns it would fit in) so I designed a hook and bar system to carry it.

But they make some real nice ones that will go in the basement, fold up nice and small and unflod to a full size 250 pound (500 test) ladder that easily reaches 3 feet above the roof.. You want one that's at least 4 feet longer than your RV is high.

Oh, hot to set an extension ladder (Get proper angle)

Lean it against the RV, no put your toes up adainst the feet on the ladder

Extend your arm straight forward, palm down and lower it till it hits a rung (or raise it a bit if there is a run just above it)

Does the run fit naturally in you hand? GOOD

Only touch it with finger tips (too flat, increase angle)
Hit with wrist (to straight up, move base out more).
Old 01-18-2015, 06:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clicker1944 View Post
The 5er I'm looking at has all the nice options except a rear roof ladder. Can they be added after market. Have you done this? Any problems or concerns?
My current rig does have a nice ladder attached , and I do use it. I also have a 15 or 16 foot ladder that I also use. When we had a lightweight TT, the rear wall would not support a mounted ladder. Lightweight material, and frame spacing to far apart.
RVM #104
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:20 AM   #6
IC2

I really don't like the usual supplied ladder and seldom use the one on ours, opting to use the Werner 13' extendable though wish I had bought the 16' version but HD was out of stock when it was needed.

The note in a post above about some models plus some light weights not having a full walk on roof - that is something that you need to consider. We had a 2001 Sunline TT which didn't have a walk on roof. I ended up cutting some 1/2 plywood x 16" wide to span between rafters so I could inspect and clean.

Our previous 5er was a 2006 Titanium and usually considered a 'premium level' unit. This photo shows how the ladder was attached to the fiberglass back cap which was only about 1/8" thick. There were no backer plates for any of the screws, even the ones at the next level - and once seeing that, the reason I used that extendable ladder to carry my 200#.

IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:30 AM   #7

Thanks all for your assistance and ideas!
Clicker1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:51 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
This photo shows how the ladder was attached to the fiberglass back cap which was only about 1/8" thick. There were no backer plates for any of the screws, even the ones at the next level - and once seeing that, the reason I used that extendable ladder to carry my 200#.

My previous MH, a 1996 Pace Arrow Vision was pop-riveted to the rear fiberglass cap. I'm 240# and was up there at least 20 times while I owned it, so I guess they knew what they were doing. Have not checked my current MH but I'm betting it is the same .