Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2011, 09:12 AM   #15

I installed the Allure and I just love it. It went in easy and it does not interfere with my slide at all. The best part is I have stairs and this is a floating floor so in order to use it on a non level surface I used liquid nails to glue it to each of my steps leading up to the bedroom. I trimmed the corners of each step with corner Oak molding (hardwood) stained to match the floor and on the inside of the each step I used quarter round (Oak). It has been down for months has had allot of use and I have had no issues with any of the pieces I used for the steps coming loose or not performing beautifully. I am just amazed at how wonderful the Allure product is. I posted pictures of the process. It was very easy to put down and it is holding up great. The floor has had much use and shows no signs of any issues. I never have pulled my slides in on just the new bare floor. What I do, is I keep a 14' X 6' carpet runner (rubber backed to grip the floor) in place just under the slide before brining it in. The slide rides up onto the floor every time with no bunching of the runner that is protecting the floor. When I move the slide out I just roll up the rubber backed carpet I use to protect my Allure floor and I am good to go. I stow the carpet under the 5th Wheel in one of my storage compartments, until I have to bring the slide in again. This way I will never have damage to my floor. This system works great for me. If you need, pictures of the actual steps that I covered with Allure just let me know and I can take pictures and post.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2011, 09:45 AM   #16
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by first5thwheel View Post
I installed the Allure and I just love it. It went in easy and it does not interfere with my slide at all. The best part is I have stairs and this is a floating floor so in order to use it on a non level surface I used liquid nails to glue it to each of my steps leading up to the bedroom. I trimmed the corners of each step with corner Oak molding (hardwood) stained to match the floor and on the inside of the each step I used quarter round (Oak). It has been down for months has had allot of use and I have had no issues with any of the pieces I used for the steps coming loose or not performing beautifully. I am just amazed at how wonderful the Allure product is. I posted pictures of the process. It was very easy to put down and it is holding up great. The floor has had much use and shows no signs of any issues. I never have pulled my slides in on just the new bare floor. What I do, is I keep a 14' X 6' carpet runner (rubber backed to grip the floor) in place just under the slide before brining it in. The slide rides up onto the floor every time with no bunching of the runner that is protecting the floor. When I move the slide out I just roll up the rubber backed carpet I use to protect my Allure floor and I am good to go. I stow the carpet under the 5th Wheel in one of my storage compartments, until I have to bring the slide in again. This way I will never have damage to my floor. This system works great for me. If you need, pictures of the actual steps that I covered with Allure just let me know and I can take pictures and post.
At your conveniance, please do.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:22 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibbyLA View Post
ms5thwheel and tonye101,

Also look at Home Depot. Allure seems to be similar to this product; it has adhesive strips. Allure Ultra is a more expensive product that clicks and locks, no adhesive.

HD stocks only a couple of the Allure Ultra line, but there are some versions of it that look rough sawn. We opted for the clear cherry version (not rough sawn), which is available in the stores.

I am glad that we are using the version without the adhesive. In our environment, it would be hard to keep the adhesive strips clean. There is a lot more fitting to be done in our FW than in the example rectangular room shown in the video so there is a lot more cutting and trial and error.

Regardless of what vinyl product you choose, I think you will be happier with the vinyl plank than with hardwood in the long run.

I second Dick's comment about the rollers. Some people do not have issues with slides that don't have rollers and non-carpet flooring. We were not so lucky, but found out the hard way. Test your slide over the bare plywood floor BEFORE putting down your flooring, or get some cheap vinyl sheet flooring and tack it down and test over that or you may have a serious "uh, oh!" moment.

liz

does it make a difference if the slide goes down level with the main portion of the floor? we did one where the slide was about one inch higher than the main floor when let out...but now the have a unit where the slide in level when let out and we would like to redo in laminate or allure?
Old 08-18-2011, 01:27 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgkersey1944 View Post
Hi, We are very new to RVing and I am really enjoying all your comments/advice from long time RVers. We have a 1997 37 foot Fleetwood Discovery and we just came back from a 2 month trip of 5600 miles with no troubles. The carpet is light tan and has numerous stains and I would like to replace it. (We are not novices to DIY, we just put oak and teak hardwood floors into our 2000 foot home outselves.) I have questions about what you use at the edge of the steps going out of the RV, what do you do about the carpet that is on the slide and in the dinnette area?? Just leave the two places or put laminate or vynl there. I would appreciate any help from your long-time RVers. Thanks so much!

we took the benches out and carpet out of slide area and replaced it with laminate and then put benches back in or you can leave benches out and use free standing chairs.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:17 PM   #19

Allure flooring

I have decided to use Allure flooring in my class A motor home. I really appreciate the feedback. My question now is: What do I do at the steps, where there is a lip down to the next step? Is there a molded edging that Allure makes? What did you do to solve this problem? Did anyone put down some kind of insulation between the sub-floor and the Allure flooring to make it warmer in the winter? I really need your help as I want to get started soon to replace the floor. Thanks so much for all your help and advice!
Linda
Old 04-19-2012, 04:12 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonye101 View Post
I have a 2000 34lsi prowler with a slide out iwant to install laminate flooring can i do it with that slide
I have a 2000 Fleetwood Wilderness GL 30 5 G 32'. I have a 16 foot slide in my kitchen/living area. I like you was afraid if I laid a new floor, I wondered if my slide would scratch the new floor. Seeing we have similar rigs and the same company GO FOR IT. I did.

I removed the old Vinyl floor and carpet, laid new carpet in the slide and put down the Allure Vinyl plank flooring. I chose cherry. It turned out fabulous and my slide does not interfere with the floor. To be safe I even purchased a rubber backed very thin runner and put it on the floor for my slide to ride up onto just in case. But it never scratched the floor so I do not use the rug.

You will be pleased how easy and well this floor goes down. Boy is it durable.

WORD OF CAUTION: Fleetwood used a ton of staples to lay the original vinyl flooring around the perimeter of the rig and in front of the slide. Make sure you remove every single staple or nail if you do not it will show through your vinyl flooring at a later date went he floor relaxes. It will not show at first but in time it will. So gently use your hand and eyes to examine every square inch of your floor and make sure the sub-floor is clean and in very good shape before you lay the plank flooring. The Plank flooring does not stick to the sub-floor but rather floats on-top your existing sub-floor. If the Vinyl floor ever should become damaged anywhere all you need is a hair dryer to warm it up and it will peal right up: (as each plank attaches only to a small strip on the other plank) and you can replace the damaged pieces with new floor lickity split.

Good luck. If you end up going with this floor post some pictures... Best investment I ever made and made the 5th wheel far more attractive.

See my Thread: Gave the 5th Wheel a facelift with window treatments and new border turned out great!

and here is another thread of the stairs I did in the 5th Wheel:

Vinyl Plank Flooring: Do you have stairs in your 5ver ????