Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2011, 08:43 AM   #1

laminate flooring with slide

I have a 2000 34lsi prowler with a slide out iwant to insatall laminate flooring can i do it with that slide
tonye101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2011, 09:57 PM   #2

Tonye101, At the top of the page, there is a search box. Check irv2 box then search. Should get you all the info needed- Good luck
Fletch
fletch460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:35 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
tonye101;

We are glad you joined us. Sorry I can't answer your question but I bet someone here can. We have a great group here who like to help when they can so browse the Foums that interest you and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:16 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Tony

The thing you need to find out is, does your slide have rollers or glides. Slides with rollers seem to work fine but some folks have had scratching with the glides. It may be a little tough to determine since you probably can't get the info from Fleetwood, I'm not sure of there status for info, we own a outright orphan and couldn't gat any help from National at all so I just looked and found rollers. We haven't had any scratching on our laminate flooring.

Here is a link to the pictures of our project.

http://cid-ae67fff392766057.photos.live.com/self.aspx/RV%20Mods/Floor%20Project/DSCF0001.jpg

Good Luck

Dick
Old 02-05-2011, 09:04 AM   #5

Allure product from HD is thinner than many laminate products and pretty easy DIY install - very popular among RVers. I don't recall reading any thread where people had issues with slides with Allure. Worth a quick search.
ksg5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:46 PM   #6

I am in the process of researching this myself.

I think I am going to go with this waterproof vinyl flooring. It looks like real wood and is very easy to install. Most important it is very, very thin and should not effect my slide. I will let you know how mine works out and if I have any slide issues.'

Check this link out:

first5thwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 01:34 AM   #7

ms5thwheel and tonye101,

Also look at Home Depot. Allure seems to be similar to this product; it has adhesive strips. Allure Ultra is a more expensive product that clicks and locks, no adhesive.

HD stocks only a couple of the Allure Ultra line, but there are some versions of it that look rough sawn. We opted for the clear cherry version (not rough sawn), which is available in the stores.

I am glad that we are using the version without the adhesive. In our environment, it would be hard to keep the adhesive strips clean. There is a lot more fitting to be done in our FW than in the example rectangular room shown in the video so there is a lot more cutting and trial and error.

Regardless of what vinyl product you choose, I think you will be happier with the vinyl plank than with hardwood in the long run.

I second Dick's comment about the rollers. Some people do not have issues with slides that don't have rollers and non-carpet flooring. We were not so lucky, but found out the hard way. Test your slide over the bare plywood floor BEFORE putting down your flooring, or get some cheap vinyl sheet flooring and tack it down and test over that or you may have a serious "uh, oh!" moment.

liz
Old 05-21-2011, 11:02 AM   #8

Thank you Liz. Appreciate all your advice. I will check out Home Depot as well.
Old 05-21-2011, 03:49 PM   #9

I can answer the question. DO NOT DO IT! Mine is all marked up and scratched from the slide rollers. I have light colored maple laminate.
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 04:12 PM   #10

Do you think if I laid down a heavy rubber backed carpet infront of the slide before I pull it in each time, it will save the floor?
Old 06-03-2011, 08:51 PM   #11

Read somewhere that one person had cut thin strips of plywood (maybe luan) and laid them down to run slides in/out. don't recall if rollers or glides
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:33 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Howdy Dick,
Even tho you're not 'my' Dickie Berry, you done a fair to middlin' job, son!!!
Heck, I may claim you after all.. Man you surely do sweat a lot!! One thing about it Merrilee, you're agonna hafta mop up a lot of drool that soaked into the old carpet!! That is one GREAT JOB !! MINE'S NEXT!! Ain't sittin' on that little stob uncomfortable???

Smooth roads & balmy breezes !!!!!
butterbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:21 AM   #13

Smile Replacing carpet floor with laminate or vynl?

Hi, We are very new to RVing and I am really enjoying all your comments/advice from long time RVers. We have a 1997 37 foot Fleetwood Discovery and we just came back from a 2 month trip of 5600 miles with no troubles. The carpet is light tan and has numerous stains and I would like to replace it. (We are not novices to DIY, we just put oak and teak hardwood floors into our 2000 foot home outselves.) I have questions about what you use at the edge of the steps going out of the RV, what do you do about the carpet that is on the slide and in the dinnette area?? Just leave the two places or put laminate or vynl there. I would appreciate any help from your long-time RVers. Thanks so much!
lgkersey1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:36 AM   #14

lgkersey1944:

My Significant Other and I recently replaced all the carpet and vinyl in our FW with Allure Ultra vinyl plank. We replaced it in the slide, too. There are photos in this thread:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f44/1998-...ect-87634.html

I know that there are several motorhome owners who have done floor work and I've seen photos of the steps but didn't pay attention because we don't have steps. I hope some of them will see your question. If not, you can search for "Allure" and I think you'll find some of them.

liz