Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2012, 06:27 PM   #1

Landing gear

I have a 5th wheel rv and everything was going great. We moved 2 sites down from another campsite to get a better view. The gear came up fine. We moved and now the gear doesn't make a sound, no movement, no sound. I can only find 2 fuses, one inside the coach and one near the gear and all is intact. What else can it be?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2012, 06:39 PM   #2

check to make sure you have 12v power to the switch and then the switch for starters, you will need a meter or a test lite.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:51 PM   #3

Try pulling out the fuses and replace them with new ones if you have them whether they look good or not. If you have 12v power to lights, fans etc, then there is nothing else it could be unless the motor for the gear decided ti pack up. We had a Cougar 5er and the fuse near the motor for the landing gear in the front compartment gave us grief a couple times.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:35 PM   #4

New Horizons Owners Club
Are they electric or hydraulic? If hydraulic, there is usually a manual override for the pump by using an electric drill with a hex bit. If that works, then it will be a problem with the electrical connection to the pump or the pump itself.
For electric, use a meter to check the battery voltage as well.
greyt-parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:46 PM   #5

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Does it not make a sound in either direction? Mine blew the first day i had them and turned out it was an in line fuse for the sown portion, up worked fine
Beausdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:32 AM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Had the same problem first time out in our new fiver on 2010. The motor had burnt out. Dealer replaced it under warrantee, no problems since.

Ray
Old 07-23-2012, 04:54 AM   #7

I had the same thing happen about two years age. I had raised the front landing gear to high and blew the inline fuse between the landing gear motor and battery.

If I remember correctly, I'm thinking it was a 40a mini fuse on my Heartland Big Country 3250TS.

To prevent it from happening again, I took a felt tip magic marker and drew a line on the landing leg where I needed to stop before blowing another fuse!!!!!

Archie
Old 07-31-2012, 03:47 PM   #8

For interim solution buy manual jack handle - cut it off in front of knurled of indents and put a reversible 3/8s in drill on the end - new handle about $30.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by archbarb
I had the same thing happen about two years age. I had raised the front landing gear to high and blew the inline fuse between the landing gear motor and battery.

If I remember correctly, I'm thinking it was a 40a mini fuse on my Heartland Big Country 3250TS.

To prevent it from happening again, I took a felt tip magic marker and drew a line on the landing leg where I needed to stop before blowing another fuse!!!!!

Archie
We had a similar problem with our brand new Cougar 318 SAB.
PapaBear1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:09 PM   #10

Landing Gear

I broke a Drive pin or a ( Shear Pin) and I can't get the gears to move so I can take the rest of the Pin out. There has to be a way to manually lower the Leg which will in turn turn the gears so I can remove the pin and pull out the Broken Shear Pin. Can any one tell me how?
Old 08-04-2012, 12:06 AM   #11

Just repaired the drive leg of my landing gear on my Carriage Cameo. It was a screw drive that lowered the leg driven by a two bevel gear differential. Each gear has a roll pin so not sure which one is sheared in yours but suspect it's the one for the bottom gear. On mine the bottom gear was jumping off of it's pin and the gear teeth were really chewed up. I think this is a common design. Mine was made by Venture and they provided an overhaul kit for it. Simple repair. I don't know of a way to lower the leg without getting access to the screw drive shaft which is driven by the horizontal bevel gear and is probably the one with the sheared pin. Need to disassemble the whole top end to do that.

2005 GMC 2500 Duramax, Crew, SLT
rramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:07 AM   #12

does your unit have a manual crank override? a lot of units have a hole in the side where you can use the same handle you use for the rear jacks. the motor may have a dead spot. if it is a dead spot, it will work after you turn it a small amount.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:00 AM   #13

I had to modify our front Venturer landing jacks on the first winter. I could not crank them up manualy, and knew it would eventualy burnup the motor or gear. Bought a sprare gear box in case. But the screw gear holder was moving sideways and the pinion gear was climbing, so I devised a clamp to anchor the holder on center and no problem since, This was my 3rd trailer I had done the same thing. These parts are rated for 8k and can't lift 3k.