Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2018, 05:59 AM   #1

Landing Gear

Hey all, Just purchased a new 2018 Keystone Sprinter Campfire Edition 29 FWRL and so far no complaints. I do have a question about Landing Gear. If you stand in front of the unit you will notice the landing legs appear to be tilted in towards each other slightly at the foot. Curious I got out the level and checked the vertical level of each leg. The level is nine inches long and no matter where I place it on the inside of each leg be it at the foot or the upper end it is off by 1/4 inch. Doing my fuzzy math and the total distance of the leg being about 54 inches that translates to about 1 1/2 inches inward on each leg from the top to the bottom. Okay so being very curious I looked at the weld connections on the frame and the uprights which each leg bracket is mounted on. The leg mounting brackets are not welded vertically straight. The bottom bracket is welded to a base mount which is welded to the I-beam frame and the upper bracket is welded to a two inch box steel section which is welded to the upright. The upright is not the same width as the I-beam it sits on and appears to be off and not vertical with the lower bracket.

Okay so here is my question. The landing gear works properly and does not appear to have any problems outside of the slow as molasses in January problem. Do you think I should have the situation corrected and have the legs vertically level or leave as it is?

Thanks
Mike-Rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2018, 10:55 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I wouldn't be too concerned about it. As long as it does the job of stabilizing the trailer.

Probably a rush weld job without attention to detail when it was installed.

Any noticeable damage to the feet or elsewhere? I ask since it could have been dropped at some point after delivery.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 11:12 AM   #3

WHen you take the rig in for 'warranty repairs of hit list' (EVER rig has items that need attention---unless you ignore or do repairs yourself) point out the pigeon toed landing gear....get it documented so IF an issue arises you have it previously noted

Otherwise/.......go camping
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 11:29 AM   #4

These RVs are like what I tell my wife about me - don't look too close You might not like what you find.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
WHen you take the rig in for 'warranty repairs of hit list' (EVER rig has items that need attention---unless you ignore or do repairs yourself) point out the pigeon toed landing gear....get it documented so IF an issue arises you have it previously noted

Otherwise/.......go camping

This!
You might also want to put a cross brace on them if the toe is too drastic.