Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2008, 10:21 AM   #1

I recently noticed that one side (curb side) of my landing gear was extending more than then other while lifting the trailer. The Atwood landing legs are driven from the street side with a cross shaft providing drive to the curb side jack. Upon inspection all the machine pins or shear pins were intact and functioning correctly on both sets of bevel gears and the cross shaft. What I have discoved is two different gear ratios in the landing gear. The curb side leg has a 15 tooth side gear with a 15 tooth screw gear. The street side (powered side) has a 12 tooth side gear and a 16 tooth screw gear. Both of these gear sets are powered by a common shaft with no gear reduction to one side. Is this a factory error or am I missing something?

Jack
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2008, 10:21 AM   #2

I recently noticed that one side (curb side) of my landing gear was extending more than then other while lifting the trailer. The Atwood landing legs are driven from the street side with a cross shaft providing drive to the curb side jack. Upon inspection all the machine pins or shear pins were intact and functioning correctly on both sets of bevel gears and the cross shaft. What I have discoved is two different gear ratios in the landing gear. The curb side leg has a 15 tooth side gear with a 15 tooth screw gear. The street side (powered side) has a 12 tooth side gear and a 16 tooth screw gear. Both of these gear sets are powered by a common shaft with no gear reduction to one side. Is this a factory error or am I missing something?

Jack
Old 08-02-2008, 11:21 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
this is only an opinion but it sure doesn't sound right to me. makes leveling your trailer a bit tricky.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 04:44 PM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Jack,

It certainly doesn't make any sense to me, either.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 05:35 PM   #5

Hillside jacks??? I'd almost bet a Dutchmen dealer would replace one side if you pushed the issue.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 06:27 AM   #6

Now for the rest of the story; I contacted Atwood and discovered that the one jack (12/16 ratio) is the heavy duty model and the other jack (15/15 ratio) is the standard model. Somehow the trailer manufacture switched the two when assembling the trailer. My first thought was to just change the gears in the one jack (15/15). The Atwood folks told me that would not cure the problem because the jack screw in the standard model is different that the heavy duty model. I ended up ordering a new jack assembly for the non-power side which will have the 12/16 ration and correct thread on the jack screw. I must say that the service center at Atwood has been outstanding in assisting me with this problem.

Jack
Old 08-05-2008, 07:23 AM   #7
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MO _ Jack:
Now for the rest of the story; I contacted Atwood and discovered that the one jack (12/16 ratio) is the heavy duty model and the other jack (15/15 ratio) is the standard model. Somehow the trailer manufacture switched the two when assembling the trailer. My first thought was to just change the gears in the one jack (15/15). The Atwood folks told me that would not cure the problem because the jack screw in the standard model is different that the heavy duty model. I ended up ordering a new jack assembly for the non-power side which will have the 12/16 ration and correct thread on the jack screw. I must say that the service center at Atwood has been outstanding in assisting me with this problem.

Jack </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hope it didn't cost you anything because of their boo boo!
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:35 AM   #8

I went ahead and paid for the jack. The trailer is well out of warranty. Kind of a catch 22 thing. The manufacture said they could not make such a mistake and Atwood said they just furnish jacks to the manufacture.

Jack
Old 08-10-2008, 02:18 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MO _ Jack:
The manufacture said they could not make such a mistake </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jack

Did the manufacturer speculate an opinion on how the incorrect jack ended up in there? I suppose it was your fault!
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 03:25 PM   #10

John;

You guessed it!

"That's their story andthey are sticking to it"

Wish I couldn't make mistakes

Jack
Old 08-15-2008, 04:16 AM   #11

A previous owner could have replaced the leg, if purchased used. After I bent our powered leg, I purchased two aftermarket powered legs. I can now adjust either side from one control box.
Juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 09:25 AM   #12

I purchased the rig new

Jack