Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2015, 02:42 PM   #1

Landing Gear Question

This issue may have been answered elsewhere, but I haven't been able to find much on it. So I will post my question with a pre-amble.
I have a fifth wheel with electric front landing gear, and electric rear "stabilizers". My system is not self levelling. I also have SteadyFast stabilizers. Now, I don't expect the SteadyFast to make the RV completely rock solid, but I think it could be steadier than it is now.
Here is the way that I set up the RV now. I level it fore-aft with the front slightly low, then I lower the rear stabilizers, then raise the front again to make the unit level. But I am always unsure how much "force" that I can put on the front landing gear. I realize that the more weight that I can get off the wheels, the steadier the unit will be, but I don't want to wreck the motor or damage the landing gear. I have already broken the bolts that hold the square connecting bar (each end, different occasions). So I am a bit reluctant to put too much strain on the system.
So I guess my question is, how much force should I apply to the front landing gear?
Thanks for your help.
Tollyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2015, 02:55 PM   #2

You're doing it backwards. Bring the trailer level fore and aft with the front jacks; they are the most powerful ones. Bring down the rear stabilizer(s) until they meet the ground or your blocks and and just a bit more. When you see the back of the FW rise about 1/4", stop. You're done. You're never going to get a FW to stop bouncing around a bit, IMHO. I don't know for sure, but I'd guess you will still get some movement with a 6-point hydraulic leveling system. Maybe someone else here can verify that.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 03:20 PM   #3

Mid Atlantic Campers
You don't state if you've a single motor or dual motor landing gear setup. Also, are the front legs individually extendable? Our original landing gear had a single motor, but extendable legs so I didn't have to have the ground level. If I hadn't had those extendable legs, I would have had to get the spots the feet touched to be level or there'd be unequal load on each leg. That could be one reason you sheared a bolt. A single motor setup is also typically not rated to actually lift your 5ers front end. After having one leg shear while near a train track and not being able to hear or see it was up, and then another jamming, I replaced the whole setup with a new dual motor Bulldog set. Now I can level at the front and even raise the whole unit if I want without any worry.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:59 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to DonaandDon
I don't have the six point level system but I do use two bottle jacks (I just happen to have them) under the front axel port and starboards sides. First I do the standard leveling. Next I lower the rear stabilizer to contact to ground. Then I slide the bottle jacks to the frame at the axels using leveling blocks to level them. I do not pump them as I believe they loose pressure over time (even a little defeats). Using the rear stabilizer I raise the RV 1-1/2 inches, slide the bottle jacks under the frame and then lower the stabilizer to snug fit them.
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:30 PM   #5

If he has a bar connecting the 2 legs together than he has 1 motor.
You're doing what I do. Get level side to side, then with the front low I extend my rear stabilizers until they are just snug, then I raise the front until level. This unloads the suspension and eliminates most of the bounce. You don;t say what brand of stabilizers or front legs, find the model and look up the weight ratings. That will give you the most direct answer.
Old 01-13-2015, 02:26 PM   #6

The rear jacks are not designed to support the unit. It is a stabilizer. They should always be the last to go down. The length greatly affects stability. Use blocks to shorten length and that will help a lot.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 01:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphie View Post
You're doing it backwards. Bring the trailer level fore and aft with the front jacks; they are the most powerful ones. Bring down the rear stabilizer(s) until they meet the ground or your blocks and and just a bit more. When you see the back of the FW rise about 1/4", stop. You're done. You're never going to get a FW to stop bouncing around a bit, IMHO. I don't know for sure, but I'd guess you will still get some movement with a 6-point hydraulic leveling system. Maybe someone else here can verify that.
The 6 point will take the bounce out but even with the landing legs canted out you will get some wiggle. I have the 6 point and put down the rear stabilizers and put a tripod under the pin. Near perfect.
harryc is offline   Reply With Quote