Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2011, 02:00 PM   #1

Leaking

I bought a used 1999 Jayco Eagle Lite 5th wheel I have found some leaking in my camper the first one was where my tv antenna is I fixed it with "Black Jack" the next one was in the bedroom around the window "black jacked" the roof where I thought it was and caulked around the windows. My question is now can I use Kool Seal like the type that is used on mobile homes. The roof is not metal it is more like a rubbery roof (sorry new to the fifth wheel had a pop up before). Also the ceiling has a little sag in it now no brown spots or anything and not very noticeable is this an easy fix? Or should I just deal with it only plan on keeping this until the end of next year before I upgrade. Thanks for any input....

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2011, 04:17 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Black jack????
Asphalt sealer?
Please say it's something else...
Using anything with a petroleum base on rubber roof is a BIG no no.
As far as fixing the interior from water damage; It's hard to say with out knowing the extent of the damage.
OR if your roof will survive Blackjack.

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34TGA
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
woodburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:24 PM   #3

If that was the wrong thing to use I can go back and remove pretty easily, however what would be a good product to use? So far the best I have found is the Kool Seal using a primer and then the sealer. I saw the leaks and kind of freaked so I grabbed the first thing that I saw to patch them. It stopped the leaks but if it is going to be bad in the long run I want to go ahead and fix it. Any input on the Kool Seal Product? Thanks for the help.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:45 PM   #4

I have found some rubber sealnt at Home Depot that had some good reviews. I don't see what the problem will be if I just put the rubber sealant on top of the Black Jack patches because they are already sealed and not leaking putting the rubber sealnt on top of that will only be reinforcing that? Had some unexpected bills come up and trying to do this on a tight budget. Any input is greatly appreciated....
Old 09-05-2011, 11:29 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Dicor Lap Sealant is the thing to us.
OR a little more costly but totally permanent would be Eternabond tape.
Lap sealant has to be redone as it will crack over time; The Eternabond tape is really better because once you do it; it never has to be redone.
I just used it on our coach.
You can get both at RV Upgrades. You should see their advertisement on this site.

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34TGA
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
woodburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:44 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
You asked about using Kool Seal, many use it and like it despite the fact as it ages you have to keep painting more and more on. If you have several leaks that keep appearing why you think about taking the trailer back to Jayco, assuming you're halfway close to the factory. Factory is in Middlebury, IN (northern IN). If you choose to go there they'll check everything they can and you may pay way less than you think.... voice of experience talking. To get info call Randy Zonker at 800-283-8267 Ext 3790. Randy's a good man and can answer most of your questions and can schedule a time for you to have whatever work done.

Hope this helps,
lwc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:04 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Make sure you know the type of rubber roof you have. Is the material EPDM or the newer style Brite Tek? It's important for the fact that certain materials must be used with both types. Contact the mfr. if possible and they can answer your questions or as suggested before take it to them and have them go over the roof. Sometime the best money spent. They are your best link as they assembled the unit. Good Luck and hope all works out.

Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote