Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2016, 04:26 PM   #1

Left front nose leaking?

We have an '07 Keystone Raptor toy hauler.

The other day, I noticed drips coming down from the left-corner nose, as if the A/C was running (it's not, as we're here in Connecticut and getting ready for winter). I noticed water is somehow getting behind what looks like a cosmetic strip, it's filling up and sitting there, slowly dripping out while the screws from underneath are gradually rusting. The bedroom and closet floors are all bone-dry, but this will eventually become much worse if we don't deal with it now. My husband used Eternabond tape on everything hoping the water was streaming down the nose and just "wicking" into the area, however today we found pockets of rainwater had collected inside the tape, making it useless. We've now ripped the tape off and will have to re-seal the top roof seam, along the tip where the gutter nozzle starts, and I hope we're able to find the culprit. The fact that there are holes in the metal seam from the previous owner tells me this has been seen before. Hopefully the pics I'll post will show the issue better than I can describe.

Tomorrow we're going to an RV store to buy some LAP sealant (while everything dries out) and keeping our fingers crossed that we somehow find the issue. Any tips (or if anyone has had something similar happen to them) would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0342.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	168.7 KB
ID:	142399   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0344.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	142400  

Name:	IMG_0345.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	142401   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0343.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	142402  

Frenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2016, 08:55 PM   #2

I can't tell what area is wet from the photos, as they are all close-ups which give no perspective.
I will offer this. I once had a water leak that I finally determined was not from around a window or from a roof leak. By accident I noticed a water-line in a front clearance light lens. I removed the lens to discover it had been sealed to the base, which was sealed to the front cap. Somehow water was getting into the lens, filling it up to the wiring hole in the base, then running into the wall behind the cap.
I drilled a 1/8" hole in the bottom of the lens and VIOLA! No more water leak, so I drilled a hole it the bottom of all light lens-just in case another did the same thing.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 09:04 AM   #3

Thank you so much for replying.
The area I took photos of is now completely dry, but you can see the damage standing water has done to the area. Somehow, water is filling-up the cosmetic white strip that snaps into the metal seam holding the nose cap to the body. Since the screws are sitting in water all the time, they've now rusted a bit. We have no idea how the water is getting in. :/
Old 10-24-2016, 09:44 AM   #4

As someone else mentioned, it is hard to tell what I am looking at. But whatever it is, it looks like it has some reasonable structural damage to it, not caused by water
Old 10-24-2016, 11:16 AM   #5

This is the area just under the nose of the fifth wheel. There's a metal seam that holds the nose onto the body. For cosmetic purposes, a plastic "bumper" is snapped over the metal seam.
The issue we're having is, water is pooling up inside this plastic bumper on the under-side of the nose on our fifth wheel. As for structural damage, perhaps the manufacturer or the previous owner removed the metal seam and ended up bending it, causing an area where that bump is on the metal seam, underneath the nose of our fifth wheel.

Today we bought some non-leveling LAP sealant and will start at the top where the gutters are and seal the corners there are, as it seems water is coming from the top, getting inside the plastic bumper (that runs along the sides, and curls under the nose section of our fifth wheel) where it collects and slowly drips out.

P.S. I keep trying to make this image right-side up, however everything I've tried isn't working, so it's upside-down.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	this.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	168.7 KB
ID:	142496  

Tags
leak