Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2005, 10:53 AM   #1

We will be full timers RV's come April 2006. We are looking to purchase a F350 four wheel drive deisel. Dont know whether to get a duly or single wheel base. ALSO we have heard that some parks will only allow certain lengths. Any suggestions on what length we should be looking at for traveling all over the USA. Thanks Any another suggest we newbee's should do before we become full timers. Lana

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2005, 10:53 AM   #2

We will be full timers RV's come April 2006. We are looking to purchase a F350 four wheel drive deisel. Dont know whether to get a duly or single wheel base. ALSO we have heard that some parks will only allow certain lengths. Any suggestions on what length we should be looking at for traveling all over the USA. Thanks Any another suggest we newbee's should do before we become full timers. Lana

Old 09-05-2005, 12:32 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
Lana, welcome to irv2 and the travel trailer/fifth wheel discussion. There are many friendly and knowledgeable folks here. My question is do you need a 4X4? Some would not be without one but keep in mind it does add 1200-1500#. That not only effects GVWR but gas mileage! Keep us posted and..Happy Trails!!
Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 06:27 PM   #4

A 4x4 may require you to raise the height of your 5er to obtain a 6" clerance between the truck sides and the 5er overhang. You need to look carefully at the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) and Gross Combined Weigh Rating (GCWR) of your truck and it's loaded weight. The loaded weight means a full tank, every one in the truck, and all the tools and hitch in the truck, before you weigh it. Do not use the weight listed in the literature as it will be WAY low. Now find a 5er you like and look at it's designed GVWR. Take this number and add it to the truck weight the sum should be below the truck's GCWR. Then take 20% of the trailer GVWR and add it to the truck weight this sum should be below the truck's GVWR. If you are over the truck GVWR the truck syspension is overloaded, if over the the GCWR the total weight of truck an trailer is over the weight the truck is designed to tow and STOP safely. If I were to buy a Ford diesel I would add an Exhaust Gas Temperature gage, and Boost Pressure Gage, and a Transmission Temperature gage. I know the new Fords have a very small EGT gage which is hard to read and believe a small tranny gage, but I would want larger gages which are easier to read.
Retired Navy. 2001 Quad Cab 2500 Auto w/4:10 rear end. PRXB Pac Brake. Miller Manufacturing Truck Bed Cover and Rigged to tow a 1995 29' Automate 5th wheel with 1 slide out
cwsoules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 08:14 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You may have to strike a compromise between livable and practical. Full timing usually requires a larger living space than normal camping as this unit will become your home. To that end there are some older national parks and forest campgrounds that simply can't fit large rigs. On the other hand there are usually some modern upscale campgrounds that will take your 40'er in stride.

As to your idea of a 4x4 it sounds like you want to get off the beaten path. To that end, you will need a 5th wheel equal to the task. I suggest that you look at Arctic Fox as they are built for that purpose.
Old 09-07-2005, 03:42 PM   #6

My Cedar Creek came through high enough for a F350 4X4. Friends of ours have a newer dually and they don't have to be as concerned about pin weight as I have had to be with my SRW. My unit is a bunk model but Cedar Creek does offer other floorplans. Newer Montana's and Carriage's are also compatable. It is something to look at though, another friend with a challenger hit the trailer to the truck going over a RR crossing, he had 6.5" clearance between the truck bed and trailer bottom, I have 8.5". I use 4X4 a lot for backing into spots in low range to minimize using the clutch. My trailer is only a few inches shy of 40', never had a problem getting in a spot, national forrests included.

2006 Volvo VNL42T630 465HP 1650ft/lbs. 12 speed Freedomline
themisfitking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 09:40 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have an `06 F-350, 4x4, dually with the TowBoss package. 5er sits nice and level with 7" clearance. Pin weight of the trailer is roughly 2500 #'s. An F-350 single rear wheel with the TowBoss pkg gives it 11,500 GVWR which is about the same as a dually without the TowBoss package. The TowBoss gives me 13,000 # GVWR and 26,000 # GCWR.

But first figure out what trailer you want and know the weights of that trailer. Then you can detemine what truck you need to pull it,

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 11:05 AM   #8

You can't get the Tow Boss with the single rear wheel. It is only available with the dually.

Tow Command is available in all Superdutys. That's the brake controller. That's probably what you meant.

The Tow Boss is a 4.30:1 axle ratio that is only available with the dual rear wheels.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:18 PM   #9

Be very careful with pin weight on a SRW. I know, I blew a rear tire on my truck setting in the driveway. With the storage compartments in front of the axles on a fiver, almost all of that weight is directly put onto the rear axle of the truck. Don't go by the trailer brochure propaganda either. I bought home portable scales from work and checked my pin weight and rear tire load. Before I repacked the camper (not that much stuff actually), I had over 7000 lbs on the rear wheels. The weakest link in a 1 ton SRW is the tires. Stock tires on my truck were 235/85/16 E weight limit 3085 at 80psi. I have gone to 265/75/16 E that have 3440 at 80 psi to get more margin. I would never buy another SRW to pull a large fiver, lots of people do without issue but it's waiting to sneak up on them IMHO. Won't ever be a problem again when I get my new truck.

2006 Volvo VNL42T630 465HP 1650ft/lbs. 12 speed Freedomline
themisfitking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 02:27 PM   #10

Pleas let me put my 2 cents in for 4X4. There is nothing like beach camping. The sunrises and sun sets are worth the extra $$ in it self.

Black 1997 F250 H/D 4X4
markclement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 03:47 PM   #11

A super feature of having a 4x4 is when having to manuver the trailer, shift into 2wh low, and be able to do everything at 800-1000 rpms, and never having a cooling problem no matter how far back or for how long you push the trailer.

Backing onto leveling boards/blocks? Piece of cake.

I seldom ever see anyone using this feature (that have a 4x4), just pushing, mashing the fuel pedal, revving the engine, all to move a few feet.

'01 34'Carri-Lite, 5ver
h2guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 05:45 PM   #12

I ahve a 36' Cedar Creek and have been able to get into most campgrounds (although I nearly tore it up trying to get OUT of a state park campground but that's another story!).

We went with a dually because it was the only way to handle the high pin weights of most larger fifth wheels (though Ford upped the ratings this year). We also went with a 4x4 simply because duallys are terrible on slick surfaces. I've seen many people get stuck on wet garss with a dually. We had no clearance issues with our trailer and dually 4x4 truck.

Other than that, we're very pleased with our Cedar Creek. It's a 3 slide model with a rear living room. Its the 36RLTS. Not real happy with the dealer (they just don't ever seem to get a fire lit under them - they run at 2 speeds - slow and slower).

Juan

2004 Dodge 3500 4x4 DRW HO/6 SPD B&W+Companion, Prodigy, Line-X, Pac Brake
JRMora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 03:29 AM   #13

Lana, after much trepidation and research i recently ordered the F350 6.0PSD SC to pull my Montana. 14500lb loaded, 3000lb pin. I shied from the duals because it wil be my daily driver and I am not comfortable driving an empty dual in the snow.
Old 02-20-2006, 04:17 AM   #14
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Garin1:
".......I recently ordered the F350 6.0PSD...." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here's some reading material for folks contemplating a Ford 6.0 PSD.

Richard