Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-21-2011, 06:22 PM   #15
That Cameo is a great coach made by a great company. Mine is 36' - - never regreted the length. Take your time when you first start out. Many dealers have a class on handling a fifth wheel - - take it. If not, find someone who is good at it to guide you and give you tips. In most parks, if a 32'er will fit, a 36'er will also. The rear entertainment center looks nice from the inside, but so does a huge back window filled with glaciers or a lake look wonderful, especially with my big recliner turned facing out the back and a nice cup of hot coffee on the side table - - wonderful. Sure nice to see out the back rather than have the space filled up with a TV set. Personal preference, but I can love seeing out that window. I can have the best of both worlds that way. You will love your Cameo.

2003 Dodge HO 6 speed Laramie Dually, Jordan controller, RDS fuel tank, Air Ride 25K hitch
Carriage 36' fiver, Onan 6500, Prosine 2K inverter, 3 slides, MORyde IS and Kingpin
FiverBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2011, 01:30 AM   #16

I'll have to throw in my vote with the good used and floorplan crowd. One unit I looked at ;4 slides, 1 slide control, all 4 slides had to be out to get into the fridge.
A friend bought a unit after we warned them to check the room while sitting on the john. They had not checked for room with the door closed. Sold that unit in 3 months $$$$.
Also if in a few years ; when the daughters leave home ; you decide a different floor plan would work better for you. Your not faced with the big hit in the pocket book.
You know you've spent too much time looking at RV's ; when you know what the floor plan is by looking at the window placements.

Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:50 PM   #17
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
KZ RV Club
Originally Posted by Batman_777 View Post
My favorite 5th wheel floor plan is a Montana 3750 forward living room.
Keystone Montana 3750FL Fifth Wheel | AmericanRV.com

The bedroom is in the rear. The front top section ceiling is raised to accomodate the living area.

I think too often, there is too much emphasis and space used for the bedroom in 5'vers.
My wife and I both liked the front living room too but you have to give up a nice roomy shower for a little garden tub which seemed a little tight for me to shower in.
Thane & Sharon
shortlance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:08 PM   #18
Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by Batman_777
My favorite 5th wheel floor plan is a Montana 3750 forward living room.
Keystone Montana 3750FL Fifth Wheel | AmericanRV.com

The bedroom is in the rear. The front top section ceiling is raised to accomodate the living area.

I think too often, there is too much emphasis and space used for the bedroom in 5'vers.
Oh man I agree..saw that floorplan when we were hanging out for an oil change at American RV last year. Really neat layout!
12 paws, 40 feet and the open road
WheelingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:39 AM   #19
Originally Posted by Racemosa View Post
Need Advice:
We are ready to purchase a new 5th wheel for the first time. We are stuck between a 32' and a 36' Cameo due to the length. I have
never pulled a 5th wheel or a trailer except for a 16' utility once in a while. We have a Ford 350 Super Duty, Diesel. We checked, and we have the necessary equipment to handle the 32" or the 36".

I have heard that more room is always the way to go but we are nervous about the extra length. Since the price is about 65 to 70K we do not want to make a decision that we will regret for each payment.

Experience: Novice - First Timer.

Application: One big cross country trip planned, then smaller two three week trips, and hopefully many small weekend trips (Or so we think).

Use: My wife, myself, and two teenage daughters. Short and intermediate trips, hate hotels, and early checkouts, etc.

Question: Am I getting too much length for the first time?
Should we be concerned about the size of the rig.
Will I be excluded from locations due to the length?
Is room a big advantage over length concerns?

Thank you in advance for all of the help and advice.
Remember that's the asking price you quoted above, take about 20% off and as for size- if you want to stay in state parks and such, smaller works better, but will you be happy in that small of a space? I bought allot of stuff to small only wanting something bigger.
rmalikone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:17 AM   #20
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by AZgl1500 View Post
Let me play Devil's Advocate here.

Have you shopped the used market yet?

With the current economy, there are some fantastic deals to be made on used trailers that have been repossessed, or sold because the payments became too big of a load.

Keep in mind, that 3 years from now, whatever is purchased new, will only be worth Half what you sign a contract on today. That means it will depreciate much faster than you can pay the note off. Looking at very clean, well cared for units can pay you dividends.

1) Lower entry costs into the RV game.

2) A chance for your family to get used to outings in an RV.

3) IF you discover an "uh oh", an older unit will not have depreciated anywhere near as much as a factory new unit.

4) An "uh oh" trade in will only have lost 25% or less (of an equivalent new RV's value) in 3 years.

5) I doubt it takes you anywhere near 3 years to decide if you made a mistake.

Cheap Insurance policy for you to have in your pocket.

If you like it, momma and crew rave on about a 'new one', well, you have the experience to determine if that is justifiable...

JMO, but I have a lot of trouble justifying a 'factory new' unit for the above reasons. Regardless of my bank account.

This is really something to think about. You just have to be really careful and inspect the unit thoroughly! Don't take the salesperson's word on anything, check it out yourself! Insist on a reasonable (at least 90 days) FULL warranty in case you miss something. A new RV is very tempting, and if money is not a problem then go for it, but a good late model used unit can save you a TON of money! Good luck!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:11 PM   #21
Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have never talked to an RV owner who wished they had bought a smaller RV. I'm sure there are some, but they are a rare breed.

Jim Price
curmudgeon: noun; a crusty, ill-tempered, irascible, cantankerous old person . . . .
79 27' Holiday Rambler Statesman, 78 32' HR Imperial, 85 36' HR Imperial 5th Wheel
Kurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:35 PM   #22
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
You know you've spent too much time looking at RV's when you know what the floor plan is by looking at the window placements.
Yep, I do that with Newmars and my wife wonders how I do it!! Or you tell her it's a 39', not a 41' by counting the storage bay doors!
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:23 AM   #23
i agree a used unit woud be a good choice. there are good units and prices out there. if there are just 2 of you, smaller would be a good start just to see it you like rv lifestyle. also you will get ideas as you use the unit as to what you would like in an upgrade. if it turns out rv life is not what you want, you have not invested a lot of money. one little suggestion we would make is take a coat hanger with you when you look and see if it hangs in the closet ok. some closets are narrow and you have to hang them at an angle to get the door closed.
rfhtlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:42 PM   #24
Our experience -

We had a 16 ft Scamp last year. I loved it for mileage (20) towing behind the mini van; easy to park. Was comfortable with it. Wife hated it. Next: 36 ft fiver with a diesel truck and washer/dryer. Now mileage is 12; more difficult to park, manuver. Big investment. Depreciation will be much greater.

Now, after 3,000 miles over 10 weeks, have to admit I like the fiver much better. Very comfortable with all the latest amenties like opposing slides, island kitchen, flireplace, flat screen on elevator, washer/dryer and lots of storage and living space. We think we could live in it a full year if desired. Have become accustomed to handling the 36 and have little difficulty backing into parking. Most places now have pull throughs anyway. Some state parks are not available to us but these are few & always a private park nearby.

Traveled with friends for a month with a 30 ft fiver. Difference in space is huge. No island kitchen; no washer; limited storage. They now wish they had bought a larger unit. We do not regret the 36. Going down the road we get the same mileage with identical trucks. Parking fees are the same. When set up we have a whole bunch more room - comfortable. No wishing for more, no regrets, Happy wife. Go for the larger unit. Agree a used one can be a big savings.

rrray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 04:05 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
#1 was a 36 ft 1 slide gasser class A. 10 years old, a couple ticks over 30k, something to test the waters, see if we like this style of camping.

Floorplan had some defects tho. split bath means if someone is "working" at the sink, they gotta move if anyone needs to get by and go in the bedroom.

And in the lil "room" the shower was about 18 by 24 and the toilet so close the shower door would only open to about a 60 degree angle !

So after 3 years, we traded her on our knight, a nearly new 4 slide 40ft DP.

Full separate side bathroom, hallway going into the bedroom. front kitchen, 42" TV that the passengers can see even with the slides in, and the driver can't... Frankly I'm in heaven with this coach. I don't care about it's mortgage, and I don't care how big it is... And I can get into anyplace the 36' could...

JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote