Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2013, 10:28 AM   #1

Lesson learned

We discovered very fast one important think, our 2002 Alfa Sun model 275 SF31RLIK not made for 103 temperatures, I can't get the temperature inside below 92 is that normal?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2013, 12:52 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
In most cases, RV's are built (and insulated) to handle average temperatures that it would experience during its lifetime..... But we as RV enthusiasts, know that sometimes to go to the extreme is the adventure....

As a former service advisor for Ford, I can assure that in most cases the dash a/c can cool the air down to about 10-12 degrees cooler than the outside ambient air temperature, and thats about all they can do... which means on a 100+* day, your AC can cool it down to 88-90, which in my mind is still too hot, but due to physical capacity of the AC unit, that's as good as they can do.... I'm not familiar enough with ducted/non-ducted rooftop AC units, but I'd bet that the same thermal principles apply in most cases.

Your best counter to a scorching hot day in an RV is additional insulation on the large walls of glass that most of us have in our coaches (or as I like to call them, our "Rolling E-Z Bake Ovens")...

Reflectix is going to be your best friend in situations like this. It comes in a 4 foot wide x 25 foot long roll, and you can cut it with a razor knife, or even a pair of sturdy shears, to custom fit your window openings, but the keys is a good snug fit all the way around the window. Do a google search for "how-to's", but it really is as simple as cutting wrapping paper. The best part is, it works just as efficiently in keeping the warmth *IN* the coach in the cooler months too.

Next line of defense, are vent covers that slip inside your roof top vents to keep the hot out, and the cool in....

Finally a shot of "expanding foam" where plumbing, or electrical wires pass through the floor or walls, will help to seal out those drafts of unregulated air.

Good luck!

jnp_macklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:55 PM   #3

Are you parked with other campers? Are they experiencing the same problems with their fridges. 103, in direct sun, shining on the fridge side of the unit, is hard to handle. May have to install additional fans behind the outside panel, or even in the chimney flu.The heat must be dissipated as fast as possible to get the temps down.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:57 PM   #4

OOPS thought you meant the fridge. sorry.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnp_macklin View Post
As a former service advisor for Ford, I can assure that in most cases the dash a/c can cool the air down to about 10-12 degrees cooler than the outside ambient air temperature, and thats about all they can do... which means on a 100+* day, your AC can cool it down to 88-90, which in my mind is still too hot, but due to physical capacity of the AC unit, that's as good as they can do.... I'm not familiar enough with ducted/non-ducted rooftop AC units, but I'd bet that the same thermal principles apply in most cases.
You are confusing the temperature "break" between intake and exhaust vent coming across the condenser. You will typically see a 10 - 12 degree difference at the vents.

I would not be a happy camper if my truck could only cool the interior to 88 degrees on a 100 degree ambient temp day.

I can get my truck down to 72 degrees interior when it is 100 outside.

Same as my house... I can bring the interior of the house down to 72 degrees when it is 100 outside.

I only get a 10 degree break on the upstairs cooling unit (unit is in the hot attic), I get a 16 degree break on the downstairs unit.

Mal
Maladjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:30 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maladjusted View Post
...I would not be a happy camper if my truck could only cool the interior to 88 degrees on a 100 degree ambient temp day....

I can get my truck down to 72 degrees interior when it is 100 outside.

Same as my house... I can bring the interior of the house down to 72 degrees when it is 100 outside.

Mal
I didn't say that you couldn't get the inside to cool down beyond 88*, but with the customer complaints we used to get that "My AC doesn't blow cold" on a 106 degree day in SW Ohio with 98% humidity.... I mean, there is only so much that system can do.... It's got the right amount of refrigerant, it is cooling the air, but you're in a rolling greenhouse. The inside of a stationary vehicle can hit 170+* on a hot sunny summer day.... Ford says it's working as good as it can...

Home AC units are another matter entirely, and you *should* be able to keep your home in the 70's on a 100 degree day, but just don't expect it to cycle on and off very frequently.

In a coach you are using a rooftop unit, which has about as much output as a decent sized home AC window unit. Most coaches are now darker colors, with LOTS of glass which add to the greenhouse effect. The AC fights to keep up with your comfort demands.

My point is, little things like Reflectix, and weather stripping, and caulking can really make a world of difference and get you back in the comfort temperature zone you've been looking for.
jnp_macklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:54 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Ursu din Bv.,
My 97 Alfa Ideal was the same way, about the only way to help, is to try to get it in the shade, also have awnings over the side and back windows. These things help a lot. Mine would stay cool till late afternoon, if I had the A/C on early in the day, with no shade. My 07 has dual A/C units, so it is ok. Keep the ceiling fan running to circulate the air and try to shade the best you can.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:34 PM   #8

Thanks for all the help so now I found out that the fifth wheel has a 15000 BTU so we are going to try and see how much a 25000 btu costs. No, we don't live in it we live in AZ and opened it to see how it is...so for now we just laid a tarp on top and took it from 92. To 84 degrees.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:35 AM   #9

All depends on your rv. My Everest works hard to keep the temp under 90 on a 100+ day while a new Redwood, with dual ducted a/c, was chilly on the same day.