Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2019, 02:42 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknavy View Post
Another option -I currently carry two Champion inverter generators. They aren't electric start, and I currently just fire them up and plug in. If I were to upgrade to electric start, can I tie the current gen prep into the portables to start from the control panel, or run an autostart from an inverter?
There are aftermarket kits to convert your current generators to LP. I am also sure, you can add electric start. Are both of these "cost effective" ? QUESTIONABLE ! Don't forget, you lose about 10% of your power when running on propane.

If you want an autostart, look for an inverter/charger/transfer switch that has that output like a Samlex. The autostart will likely NOT be a plug and play, but the basic functionality is there.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2019, 04:34 PM   #16

A friend of mine installed a gravity fed tank over his and it worked well.you just have to measure the room. The only drawback is batteries .
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 04:50 PM   #17

To the OP, have you at least considered a comprehensive Solar/Battery implementation?
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 07:15 PM   #18
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
If you are planning on boondocking where you need your a/c's running you are making things much more complicated. If you plan on boondocking in an area you don't need a/c's cooling your fuel will last much longer and you can use a much smaller genset. Most people boondock in better temp areas and only plan on running the genny to recharge the batteries. What you currently have would serve that purpose well. If you are dead set on camping in higher temps and need 50 amp service to be happy, instead of a 5'er you may want to move on up to a class a. It will be equipped with what you need to do that.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 08:50 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daycruiser View Post
To the OP, have you at least considered a comprehensive Solar/Battery implementation?

Yeah, I have, and plan on it. That will take care of most electrical needs.
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 07:11 PM   #20

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by aknavy View Post
Yeah, I have, and plan on it. That will take care of most electrical needs.
The solar on our 5th has been providing 100% of the 12 volt power for over one year now. The geny is only used for the A/C and microwave. We have a Champion 3500 watt gas model with remote start. In a few cases we've unloaded it and placed under the 5th's overhang. All of last summer in Alaska we never took it out the truck. Just ran a 30 Amp cord to it and DW could start it as desired from inside. I have it strapped in just inside the tailgate so the exhaust exists the open tailgate. I can unfold the folding bed cover and protect ti from rain with this setup. I also found some silicone exhaust hose with a 3/4" pipe thread that I can attach to the geny's exhaust pipe and get the fumes a little farther away. I use that mostly if the geny is sitting under the 5th's overhang. In four months of travel in Canada/Alaska we only used the geny for 20.4 hours total and burned about 8 gals of gas. Gas/diesel is much easier to find than is propane sometimes.

As one post points that your wattage output with propane is lower than either gas or diesel. Any geny will also lose about 3% of rated output for every 1,000 ft gain in elevation. For many folks this is no issue. Out west it can make a real difference in what you run. We live at 7,000 ft and have a 21% loss before we start up into the mountains. Just things to think about and it may not even apply to you.

We have an Onan 4000 watt geny in the Minnie Winnie. It is much louder and shakes the rig a little while running.

I find the Champion to be much easier and reliable starting then the Onan.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 09:34 AM   #21

I have an Onan quiet diesel 5500 sitting in the bed of my truck in front of my 5th wheel hitch. A starting battery in a battery box sits next to it. I have quick connect fittings that connect the genny to a 60 gallon diesel transfer tank that is is front of the bed. This combo works well for us. I have two fifth wheel trailers, one for hunting and the other for glamping, I rarely take the genset out of the truck. It does add 400 lbs plus the battery to the load of the truck though. Prior to this, I had this same gen set mounted to a platform on the rear of my 2001 Holiday Rambler Alumascape, I like it in the bed of the truck better, because I don't have to worry about fuel. This set up does require manually starting the generator and running a cord. Click image for larger version

Name:	onan5500qd.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	239261
Old 03-24-2019, 09:40 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuffsaid View Post
I have an Onan quiet diesel 5500 sitting in the bed of my truck in front of my 5th wheel hitch. A starting battery in a battery box sits next to it. I have quick connect fittings that connect the genny to a 60 gallon diesel transfer tank that is is front of the bed. This combo works well for us. I have two fifth wheel trailers, one for hunting and the other for glamping, I rarely take the genset out of the truck. It does add 400 lbs plus the battery to the load of the truck though. Prior to this, I had this same gen set mounted to a platform on the rear of my 2001 Holiday Rambler Alumascape, I like it in the bed of the truck better, because I don't have to worry about fuel. This set up does require manually starting the generator and running a cord. Attachment 239261
That's a nice setup!
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 04:48 PM   #23

The Honda 2000 is the quietest and best starting. They now have a 2200 for RV's either are excellent choices.
Revnickn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 09:56 AM   #24

I have a Honda 3000 watt inverter at work and use it to power up some chest freezers in a food transport gooseneck trailer. It is very easy starting, electric start and very quiet. The only downside is that it only has 2800 watts running capacity. Not enough for A/C use.
Old 03-30-2019, 11:28 AM   #25

Quote:
I have a Honda 3000 watt inverter at work and use it to power up some chest freezers in a food transport gooseneck trailer. It is very easy starting, electric start and very quiet. The only downside is that it only has 2800 watts running capacity. Not enough for A/C use.
You are highlighting a dilemma many other RVers are facing. The smaller portable inverter generators have about 1800W-2200W of running power. The next step up as you state is about 2800W.

Its a big step in $$$, but the next step up is dual generators ! Bonus is that 2 small generators are easier to move around than even one medium sized one like the Honda 3000.
Old 03-30-2019, 12:18 PM   #26

Quote:
A 2800 watt generator should easily run a RV AC. It puts out 23 amps.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 06:40 AM   #27

Quote:
I have an Onan quiet diesel 5500 sitting in the bed of my truck in front of my 5th wheel hitch. A starting battery in a battery box sits next to it. I have quick connect fittings that connect the genny to a 60 gallon diesel transfer tank that is is front of the bed. This combo works well for us. I have two fifth wheel trailers, one for hunting and the other for glamping, I rarely take the genset out of the truck. It does add 400 lbs plus the battery to the load of the truck though. Prior to this, I had this same gen set mounted to a platform on the rear of my 2001 Holiday Rambler Alumascape, I like it in the bed of the truck better, because I don't have to worry about fuel. This set up does require manually starting the generator and running a cord. Attachment 239261
I like the looks of that setup and it would work well with my truck also. There has been a comment about taking the power away from the Rv when the truck is used for touring or shopping and the answer to that is a small 2200w portable. Should be enough to run 1 air conditioner and keep the RV systems alive. Yes extra cost and redundancy but no one ever said RVing was cheap. The higher difference in cost of that Onan 5500 diesel vs a gas/propane would by a few small generators anyway.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 05:54 PM   #28

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldwizard View Post
You are highlighting a dilemma many other RVers are facing. The smaller portable inverter generators have about 1800W-2200W of running power. The next step up as you state is about 2800W.

Its a big step in $$$, but the next step up is dual generators ! Bonus is that 2 small generators are easier to move around than even one medium sized one like the Honda 3000.
Dump the Honda for the Champion3500, half the price, just as quite, built in wheel system and it will carry a single A/C. The been around several years and work excellent Mines mounted on a rear rack so the 30amp cord will reach it. Compare stats with the Honda and you'll not go back. https://www.championpowerequipment.c...fuel-inverter/
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, generators