Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2019, 06:18 PM   #29

Let us know about that 10 years from now, if you use it alot....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2019, 07:40 PM   #30

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Let us know about that 10 years from now, if you use it alot....
Craps out at 5years I can buy another and still be even. A single Honda EU3000 will run you 2K. I personally am not impressed with a name, all I want is for it to work. My Champion starts 1st or second pull every time, my only regret was I did't buy the electric start. Only been 4 years so far, but if it does quit I'll buy the electric start.

Ever hear of Work Force? I have a pressure washer about 10 years that gets frequent us, starts easy & does what it was designed to.
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 07:47 PM   #31

Different strokes for different folks...
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 01:24 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd505 View Post
Craps out at 5years I can buy another and still be even. A single Honda EU3000 will run you 2K. I personally am not impressed with a name, all I want is for it to work. My Champion starts 1st or second pull every time, my only regret was I did't buy the electric start. Only been 4 years so far, but if it does quit I'll buy the electric start.

Same feelings I have - I have two Champions that I parallel when needed. Never let me down yet. Do wish I had the electric start though.
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 01:52 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknavy View Post
Same feelings I have - I have two Champions that I parallel when needed. Never let me down yet. Do wish I had the electric start though.
And unfortunately, according to my neighbor who researched it, you can't add it later. The mounting holes aren't there, the teeth aren't there on the flywheel, and the wiring harness is different. So at least with Champion if it didn't come with electric start you are out of luck...
Old 04-02-2019, 05:35 PM   #34

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by aknavy View Post
X2- I use an 3500 watt electric start Champion on my 5th and it starts first try every time. My MH came with an Onan built-in and its always been a BIA to start, still working on that issue.

I really like the Champion for its reliability and purchase price. The Hondas are somewhat quieter, but we so seldom use the geny this is not an issue. Solar provides nearly 100% of our power needs outside of AC.

For many people this point would never be an issue. Generators lose about 3% per 1,000 ft elevation gain. If you do travel out west this may become an issue if your geny does not have enough capacity to spare. At home, 7,000 ft we lose 21% right off the top without modifications. I did install the high altitude jet in the Champion which gains me about 3,000 or 9% less loss.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 09:21 PM   #35

We have the 3500 champion with electric remote start and it works great powers the AC no problems and is basically fairly quiet. When you are in the coach and have the AC going you can’t hear it. I am sure if you did a side by side with the Honda’s you would notice the noise difference but 400 bucks versus 2k it’s not worth the extra cost
elite wa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 01:25 PM   #36

Onan 7.5 HDKAJ

Good afternoon:
Brought my unit into a shop to correct some “repair” work Jack Daniels and I had done last fall. Just got a call that the generator is ready.
HOWEVER, they are telling me that it runs fine,......now, but is only putting out 5kw instead of 7.5kw and they aren’t sure why.
So...... here I am to ask why and what thoughts you folks may have.

Thanks in advance.
Mike
Medic6677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 06:30 PM   #37

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by elite wa View Post
We have the 3500 champion with electric remote start and it works great powers the AC no problems and is basically fairly quiet. When you are in the coach and have the AC going you can’t hear it. I am sure if you did a side by side with the Honda’s you would notice the noise difference but 400 bucks versus 2k it’s not worth the extra cost
Honda 57DB Champion 59DB better ears than mine if you hear 2DB
Old 04-03-2019, 06:38 PM   #38

I got a 4.0 BFA Onan out of motor home and mounted it under my flat bed. Then had an electrician wire up breaker box and outlets. I have a 50 gallon gas tank.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180605_155940.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	240599Click image for larger version

Name:	0413181807.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	240600
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 12:55 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd505 View Post
Honda 57DB Champion 59DB better ears than mine if you hear 2DB
Haha I wish mine were that good. It just seems that everyone makes such a big deal about the Honda’s and if you try and say otherwise it doesn’t matter.

I will say since mine is a 4000w champion it’s closer to 68db
elite wa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 05:09 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuffsaid View Post
I have an Onan quiet diesel 5500 sitting in the bed of my truck in front of my 5th wheel hitch. A starting battery in a battery box sits next to it. I have quick connect fittings that connect the genny to a 60 gallon diesel transfer tank that is is front of the bed. This combo works well for us. I have two fifth wheel trailers, one for hunting and the other for glamping, I rarely take the genset out of the truck. It does add 400 lbs plus the battery to the load of the truck though. Prior to this, I had this same gen set mounted to a platform on the rear of my 2001 Holiday Rambler Alumascape, I like it in the bed of the truck better, because I don't have to worry about fuel. This set up does require manually starting the generator and running a cord. Attachment 239261
i have a 12.5kw Onan up againat the bulkhead of my MDT. It adds about 775 to the weight of the truck. It has its own starting battery in the tray with the truck betteries. I added a power box almost like an RV park pedestal in the side box. Thats being so the generator can be used for anything i want. 50/30/20 amp plugs. How handy that is often times is awesome. LOL it starts everytimre. Build date 9/73. Hardly no electronics. Inline 4 cylinder engine. cap and wires and points. Its 45 years old and will be running in another 45 years. Ive run it 90 plus hours straight. With atleast 25 amps per leg. 2 aor conditoners and anything else i want whenver i want. Never missed a beat
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 07:33 PM   #41

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by elite wa View Post
Haha I wish mine were that good. It just seems that everyone makes such a big deal about the Honda’s and if you try and say otherwise it doesn’t matter.

I will say since mine is a 4000w champion it’s closer to 68db
The inverter models are quieter than the open frame.
Old 04-04-2019, 08:00 PM   #42

Interesting comparison on noise levels.

Tags
generator, generators