Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2013, 04:28 AM   #15

Send a message via AIM to Larmolljr
Quote:
Originally Posted by SultanGris View Post
A spirit level and a bubble level are the same thing. And I would hope the fridge would be level when the trailer is level, might be worth a double check though, lol! I forgot to mention I also have some 1x6s also because sometimes a 2x6 is a bit too much for that perfect level.
Torpedo level should have been the correct name as most all levels are sprit.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2013, 07:00 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
I use a bubble level app on my Android phone set on the kitchen top. Lately, I've been using 3/4" plywood under the tires rather than 2Xs because they don't split as easily. I've also been thinking of using 3/4" rubber from Tractor Supply. Its a horse stall matt and has to be cut up but certainly would be indestructable.
I looked those mats up 4'X6' for 40$. I could get 7 - 4'X10" strips.

2014 Wildcat 344QB-OK
EastTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:24 AM   #17

I agree with Cumminsfan. I used a carpenters level to get the 5th wheel level the first time then attached the Acculevel with 5th wheel level. Next time I just have to look at the king pin Acculevel and I got it!
DannyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:55 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post

I have the same bubble APP, but got tired of running in and out of the 5'er checking it. Much quicker and easier to see the level from the front. I can see it thru the back window of the truck and tell the wife what to put under which side. Then set the front to back level with the 2nd bubble on it.

I had seen the king pin mount levels and always wondered if they were worth it. IMO it's one of the best things I've bought for the 5'er.
Same for us.
We do it differently.
I put the blocking and wife drives the truck.
I have a tub full of 2x6 x12 lumber that i shim with, jack with, block with.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:03 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
We are all talking about absorption type or "RV" fridges...
I've found two things that help the most for my new 5er:
1) Residential fridge so it's not critically important to be level
2) A one button self leveling system

But agree with most suggestions...
first I researched and found that level doesn't mean 'perfectly' level (some say + or - 2 degrees is good or a half bubble off plumb)

with the previous 5er I took the time to do this once:
first leveled it at a 'good' concrete padded campground,
(leveled such that the FRIDGE and freezer bottom was level - heck anything else it doesn't matter and it or the fridge could be mounted 'kinked') just for grins I took a 4 foot level and checked the frame - it wasn't level !
then put two stick on levels on the drivers side front corner of the 5er...
one facing to the front so I could see from the cab and one on the left side near my front jack switch...

from then on I knew what 'level' was for my rv making one less battle when we set up - and I used the plastic 'bag-o-levels' too - cheap, easily replaced at any walmart, and MUCH lighter than wood.

but so far steps 1) and 2) above have been worth a million dollars to us ... happy camping !
Old 12-13-2013, 09:46 AM   #20

Why does level for the fridge matter? Just for draining purposes? I leave mine on when I'm driving down the road, I never shut it off all summer.
SultanGris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:20 AM   #21

Absorption refrigerator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This is why. There is no pump. Just heat and gravity driving the system.
When driving, the vibrations and movement keep anything from stopping up.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 11:11 AM   #22

Right on, thanks for info!
Old 12-13-2013, 11:30 AM   #23

This is what I use on my king pin:

Amazon.com: Wheel Masters 6780 Level Master and Bracket Kit: Automotive

This is what I use on the side of the 5er right above the front landing gear switch:
Amazon.com: Hopkins 08525 Graduated Level: Automotive

I also carry a lynx levelers set and some 2X10 blocks and a DeWalt 18 volt cordless drill to put down the stabilizers in the rear.
-Paul R. Haller-
Paul R. Haller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 11:52 AM   #24

Texas Boomers Club
I carry the Lynx blocks (orange) which I use when traveling between locations. Once I get to a destination where I will be for a while I use the 3/4" and 1/2" 12" square pressure treated plywood blocks I cut up. When I arrive in TX for the winter or PA for the summer, I use the outside levels to get it roughly level. then I use a 48" level on the kitchen counter to fine tune leveling side to side as well as front to back.

On the kingpin, I have an old A-frame type support which I bought years ago from someone switching from a 5er to MH. The rear I have electric stabilizers. I also use the X wheel chocks on both sides. I carefully setup blocks so that the front and rear jacks are as short as possible to reduce wiggle
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:02 PM   #25

Some of you guys spend lots of time on this. I get it closer and call it good, lol! Is my fridge gonna start on fire or quit working if not perfectly level? Only one season down so far but no issues! I'm always close to level, dare I say never perfect though.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:27 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
As long as your absorption fridge stays below 40 and your freezer below freezing you are getting close enough...

Many times on short catnap stops we didn't get perfect either, but one thing that drove us crazy is if the bed were downhill - my head lower than my feet - can do any other way, but that's a guaranteed restless night ! no matter how many pillows, etc...
Old 12-13-2013, 02:06 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
As long as your absorption fridge stays below 40 and your freezer below freezing you are getting close enough...

Many times on short catnap stops we didn't get perfect either, but one thing that drove us crazy is if the bed were downhill - my head lower than my feet - can do any other way, but that's a guaranteed restless night ! no matter how many pillows, etc...
Haha, ya fair enough. Longer the stay the closer to perfect you want to be for sure. I find front to rear leveling easy but side to side requires perfect blocking as my front jacks are tied together I can't really lift one side more than the other. I tried more blocking under one side but it didn't seem to work the best, seemed to put more stress on the jack than looked comfortable so I aim for close now.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:06 AM   #28

After reading all these post I see some getting very technical with it. After having my TT for 9yrs. and never having a fridge issue(even after eyeballing it 90% of the time) I think I'll be ok :-) but the more I think about Auto-leveling the more I want it lol

2014 Wildcat 344QB-OK
EastTexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling