Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2014, 07:27 PM   #1

KZ RV Club
Lighting upgrade

As anyone that has backed one of these things up at night knows, visibility to the sides and back is marginal at best. I know on mine, as soon as my reverse lights come on, the glare off the front of the trailer makes it almost impossible to see behind the lead edge. Having the significant other with a flashlight isn't much help either.

So, today I decided to remedy that situation and add some lighting. These are just 2 sets of 55 watt utility lights. They are powered from the trailers battery through 2 relays and don't put any additional load on the trucks electrical system. I have them rigged to trigger manually on the switch in the basement and also on the reverse circuit. I wanted them on a manual switch more than just the reverse circuit for a few reasons. 1 - I don't want them cycling on and off when backing it up, 2 - I wanted to be able to use them as standalone utility lights, 3 - I wanted to be able to use them in the event of a roadside issue.

Anyways, here was today's little bit of handy work. We'll see how they do next time out.

The wiring in the basement....

The front set....

The rear set....

All lit up at night....

Cumminalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2014, 07:44 PM   #2

What a great idea!!

Old 02-16-2014, 07:48 PM   #3

Very, very nice!
Old 02-16-2014, 08:01 PM   #4
KIX

These things work very well for us. RV Headsets - RV Headsets for Mobile Vehicle Safety
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:37 PM   #5

KZ RV Club
Yeah, we've got the radios, but, well, I think we all know the delicacy required when conversing with ones better half in regards to backing up the trailer.

Besides, a lot of times I'm setting up by myself. With me being retired, I'll often head out and get set up before the wife can. She either comes after work or the next day. It's nice because it lets me set up in peace and quiet and she can show up and just relax.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:42 PM   #6
KIX

The good thing about RV headsets is that they are duplex........no push to talk button....they're just like a phone........talk and hear at the same time.
They help with the delicacy issue
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:52 PM   #7

KZ RV Club
My wife has this habit of always standing where I can't see her too. As many times as I try to explain that if she can't see my mirrors, I can't see her, it's to no avail.

Kind of like when you pull off at an exit and it's a mess of traffic and tight turns. She doesn't understand why I hate driving in congested exits......until I made her drive and deliberately told her to get off at bad exit.....I now get a little leeway when I say, "not at this exit"
Old 02-16-2014, 09:33 PM   #8

My wife always stands on the drivers side in the rear when I'm backing up. She knows that if I stop the MH I can't see her, she gets back in view. She has it down pretty good. Haven't hit anything yet.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:30 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Cumminalong,

That's a sweet set-up. I like it.

I can appreciate the advantages of your lighting, as I, from time to time, have to back a 10 yard dump truck with a backhoe trailer at night.

Are you planning to light up above the rear of the trailer so you can watch for low tree limbs or structures?

It's a fantastic set-up either way.

Rich

r___r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:52 AM   #10

KZ RV Club
Rich,

I never back it up into a spot without getting out and checking first. That's another reason I wanted the lights on a switch though....it kinda makes me get out and check everything first and not rely solely on the lighting. I also carry an extending pole saw for those low hanging limbs.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:42 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
My wife always stands on the drivers side in the rear when I'm backing up. She knows that if I stop the MH I can't see her, she gets back in view. She has it down pretty good. Haven't hit anything yet.
Same for my wife, she watches the back. I usually need to be guided by side markers. I always back by looking at the trailer wheels.Be lights or pieces of wood that I lay down if in a tight spot. I never need to see behind, even with a camera. It never helped. So the wife's job is stop me.
Now side lights that would be great help for me. Scare lights sometimes can be used.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:57 PM   #12

I have just the set at the front, never even though about adding a secound set. Looks like a sweet setup and I know you will like them.