Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2013, 08:08 PM   #1

Line-x or Rhino replacement roof

I'd like to hear from somebody who's had their RV roof replaced by either Line-x or Rhino. The product has been used for a few years and I'm having a real problem finding pro's or con's frompeople who have had it done.. I have Line-x in my truck bed and it's great, but I'm under the impression that the roof coating is a little different process??
My rubber roof is at the end of it's life span 1998 when it was new, (not leaking yet) but shows signs that it probably needs replaced. The replacement cost of a new rubber roof is about 40% more than a Line-x or Rhino roof. From what I can read the Line-x or Rhino replacement would be permanent and I'd never have to worry about it again??? We live on the Ocean and the weather is pretty unforgiving, salt, wind, rain. Input from experience would really be good. Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2013, 10:52 PM   #2

Following
HTFireMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:41 AM   #3

Peterson Industries is now offering RhinoLined roofs as an option on all Excels. They also offer this service for used models by any manufacturer and will do it at the factory in Smith Center, KS.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:18 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEAMTJ View Post
Peterson Industries is now offering RhinoLined roofs as an option on all Excels. They also offer this service for used models by any manufacturer and will do it at the factory in Smith Center, KS.
And Peterson Industries President announced today they have reached agreement with Rhino to provide lifetime warranty to the original purchaser. Certainly would be something I would explore if I were dealing with a rubber roof. There is a thread on the Excel site which includes the discussion, cost etc.
bigmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:52 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
I live just out of Vancouver B.C. and checked into putting a Rhino roof on a 20 5'r and the cost was almost 2000$ cdn. I was then informed that Line-x does not have a product that will fulfill the same requirements.
So Rhino is the only supplier and only one supplier for about 350 miles.
pops2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:44 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Very interesting.....with all the EPDM roofs around, my guess is this will become the next waive of replacement. Lifetime fix.... affordable? sounds good to me.
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:10 AM   #7

I just saw a commercial on TV for a Rhino Liner formula to use to paint the trim on a house. They said you would never need to paint the trim again but also said 25 year warranty on it. Anyone else see the commercial?
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:18 AM   #8

I'm assuming that if it's for a roof or housing trim, that it comes in different colors???
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:22 AM   #9

I had thought of this years ago for my inground pool, but at that time you could only get black.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:31 AM   #10

Rhino Linings Media, Spray on Bed Liner, Spray Bed Liners | Rhino Linings
trampsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:40 AM   #11

Just a follow up. I've got my 5th wheel in the shop now being prepared for the new roof. Line-x is the product being applied. This outfit has been doing this process for a few years with a great track record. It will be applied over the existing rubber roof and yes it will be white. In fact I had a choice of colors. They have quite an extensive preparation job they do on the rubber roof before application and the fact that my existing roof never leaked and is in really good shape is the reason for using it as a base. I'll try to post some before and after pictures when it's done. The cost is considerably more that recoating the existing roof, but far less that replacing it with a new rubber roof. And the beauty of the whole thing is I don't have to clean it twice a year and have the white film all over the sides of the 5th wheel. We live on the Ocean and the weather and the salt air really takes a toll. With that being said, I really feel the investment is a good one.....
Old 04-01-2013, 08:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitecreate View Post
Just a follow up. I've got my 5th wheel in the shop now being prepared for the new roof. Line-x is the product being applied. This outfit has been doing this process for a few years with a great track record. It will be applied over the existing rubber roof and yes it will be white. In fact I had a choice of colors. They have quite an extensive preparation job they do on the rubber roof before application and the fact that my existing roof never leaked and is in really good shape is the reason for using it as a base. I'll try to post some before and after pictures when it's done. The cost is considerably more that recoating the existing roof, but far less that replacing it with a new rubber roof. And the beauty of the whole thing is I don't have to clean it twice a year and have the white film all over the sides of the 5th wheel. We live on the Ocean and the weather and the salt air really takes a toll. With that being said, I really feel the investment is a good one.....
Details, if you'd be so kind. Are you at a regular Line-X facility or did you have to find one specifically for the RV. Are they removing all the rooftop attachments, or spraying around them? Does your 5er have fiberglass caps like a Class A, andif so, do they go beyond the joint, carrying the Line-X onto the fiberglass caps? What is the warranty period? Finally, if you don't object, how big is your 5er and what are they charging? I'd really like to get this done, but I'm hesitant to trust the job to someone who has only ever sprayed pick up beds.
wydglydrydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:14 AM   #13

Please post pictures of your finished roof, very interesting to hear that the rubber membrane isn't being pulled off. Owning a rv repair business, I'll be honest, I'm shocked! Over the years I've seen the chemicals (specifically the coatings) get so much better and with such high voc levels that during the cure time bubbles the membrane anywhere the membrane has lost adhesion to the sub-layer and then lays back down with no issues. That being said, all the roofs I've ever pulled off unless it was days after being installed, pull off the substrate with minimal effort - -almost like the adhesive didn't bond to one or both surfaces (now if moisture got in, then for sure it's lost bond for the distance of the wetness). The weight of the membrane, as well as the moldings, vents & air conditioners holding it down, it's not going anywhere even if adhesive wasn't used. So knowing that most membranes after a certain amount of time become loose from the substrate which may or may not be from moisture, putting a lifetime warranted product on a membrane that may or may not be floating - - well, surprises me....
InfinityJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:02 PM   #14

This is a large Line-x facility and they coat just about everything you can imagine. They've been doing RV's and utility trailer roof for a few years now. The area of my roof is 30 foot plus rapped down the sides about 3-4 inches, and yes there's fiberglass caps on both ends. They will be going beyond the seams and rapping down the front and ends to match the side rape. They remove everything but the air conditioner. Also in addition to the roof I'm having them do the lower front area of the rig, also in white. The cost is right at $3700.00. Oh yea, the added weight is approximately 200 lbs. To me that's not much spread over the entire area...I would think leaving the rubber roof on would give the structure a lot more flexibility if it really needed it, plus the fact you won't see any seams. That part almost makes sense to me??? I'm relying on them being professional....

Tags
replacement, roof