Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2019, 08:18 AM   #1

Grand Design Owners Club
Lippert auto Jack’s

Plugged it in to 30 amp trying to raise my front end of my fifth wheel and the Lippert controls show low voltage to my batteries. Isn’t it supposed to be using the shore power to raise the jacks?
BSP012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2019, 08:58 AM   #2

On my 2018 Palazzo, the Jacks do not work without the engine running and the alternator charging. The control panel will not even illuminate without the engine running and I will get the "low voltage" on both the jack control panel and the dash panel until the alternator kicks in.
Even though my chassis batteries are fully charged, there is a high amp draw from the Cummins intake air heater when it's cold out (under ~45°?) which causes the Low Battery Voltage reading until the alternator kicks in.
Never made sense to me that I could not operate the Jacks without the engine running...
Old 04-12-2019, 09:01 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
It doesn't use shore power so to speak but it does run off of 12v which should be boosted by the converter when plugged into shore power. Sounds to me like either a bad battery, bad connection, or your converter is not working. Let it remain plugged in for an hour or so and try again. If that works it is definitely a battery issue. If not it is still one of the above.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:01 AM   #4

The landing gear are 12 volt.....If the battery (s) is low, it'll take a bit for the charger part of the converter to bring them up.....then, they should work fine...Got a meter?....check battery voltage...
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:27 AM   #5

Grand Design Owners Club
Waited an hour things worked fine then looked at the batteries. corrosion on the top water levels are okay Interstate batteries-year-old should hold a better charge
Old 04-12-2019, 09:47 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
My Damon Daybreak has the Lippert system and even though it is tied into the 12V system it needs more voltage than that to operate. The control panel has the statement "For Proper Operation Engine Must Be Running" on it. I have added a volt meter on my dash to monitor the chassis battery and once I start the engine the voltage will read somewhere in the 14.4 to 14.7 volt range, indicating the alternator is supplying power to the battery. When I power the Lippert system and start the leveling process the voltage will drop into the low 13 volt range as the pump is supplying pressure to lift the coach. Occasionally the Low Voltage light may flash momentarily but still function. A fully charged battery at rest will be at 12.6 volts or so and not provide the voltage necessary for the pump to supply enough pressure for proper operation.
Danlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:51 AM   #7

Grand Design Owners Club
Thanks makes a lot of sense
Old 04-12-2019, 04:05 PM   #8

I like to operate the hydraulics at the highest voltage possible. Weather on shore power or engine running.
The pump motor has to develop a certain amount of HP to do the work.
The current is lower if the voltage is higher.
If the voltage is low, the current goes up and the pump motor seems to labor.
Old 04-13-2019, 07:47 AM   #9

I'll have to see if it will operate with the generator running instead if the engine. I would just like an alternative to operate the Jacks in case the engine dies when the Jacks are down. (and not manually, because the pump is hard to get to and it's a complicated process on mine)
Old 04-15-2019, 07:22 PM   #10

Work off the batteries as others have said. Shore power will charge you back up and should work fine once correct voltage is achieved.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:41 PM   #11

Grand Design Owners Club
Yes that’s what happened. Thanks

Tags
jacks, lippert