Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2014, 10:49 AM   #15
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post

Something not mentioned. The grease used for these systems is very thin when compared to standard good quality grease. Why??? So it can pass through the tiny hole in the axle, the bearings then back up and out the front. Thin grease makes for ease of leaking.

Lastly since synthetic greases are about 10 times better that's what I want and will always use. Get the best lube you can to protect your investment.

TeJay
Phew!!!

Dexter in their axle information list several recommended brands of lube - and that it be NLGI grade 2. This is a lithium complex based grease and I can assure you it is not thin as compared to "standard" grease, whatever that "spec" is on the NLGI scale of 000 to 6. I personally am using Citgo's JT-6 Mystic lube for bearings on a Dexter axle. It can be found at Tractor Supply as well as Advance Auto Parts for 3-4 bucks a tube or 1 pound can.

Information here about NLGI lubes: NLGI consistency number - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

..and Dexter's info which you will need to dig into their site for:Dexter Axle - Trailer Axles and Running Gear Components - Literature (SEE PAGE 52 and 53)

As far as other axle manufacturers, AL-KO etc., look up their specs and be right with what you use.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2014, 06:56 AM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
A bearing is a bearing is a bearing. By that I mean they are made out of different metals to different specs but they all require and deserve a good grease. I hope you are not suggesting that because a manufacturer says to use X grease you won't choose a synthetic which is 10 times better than any X grease just because the manufacturer says so????? PHEW!!!!

Why not spend a few $$$ more to get the best?????? It makes every bit of sense to me.

To each his own. Yes there are greases that are not to thin (lower in viscosity ratings) but every TT I've had when I serviced the bearings the first time, which was as soon as it got home, they all had a very thin (to pass through the small hole in the axle) bearing grease. Much thinner than anything I ever saw in 40 years of teaching and working on cars/trucks.

Just my educated but HO.

TeJay

Old 08-30-2014, 07:24 AM   #17

I wouldn't buy any grease due only to it's potential to flow through the hole in that axle. A hand grease gun is capable of pushing the heaviest available through that hole. Just look at the size of the hole on the outside of a zerk fitting. Ok it might take an extra minute and little extra effort, but if you like a heavy grease, go for it! Any grease is better than none!
Old 08-30-2014, 08:02 AM   #18
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
A bearing is a bearing is a bearing. By that I mean they are made out of different metals to different specs but they all require and deserve a good grease. I hope you are not suggesting that because a manufacturer says to use X grease you won't choose a synthetic which is 10 times better than any X grease just because the manufacturer says so????? PHEW!!!!

Why not spend a few $$$ more to get the best?????? It makes every bit of sense to me.

To each his own. Yes there are greases that are not to thin (lower in viscosity ratings) but every TT I've had when I serviced the bearings the first time, which was as soon as it got home, they all had a very thin (to pass through the small hole in the axle) bearing grease. Much thinner than anything I ever saw in 40 years of teaching and working on cars/trucks.

Just my educated but HO.

TeJay

I guess you are the expert when you are saying that as a former teacher you know best vs what bearing or axle manufacturer's engineers have determined via millions of dollars and years of testing which determine the basis of their recommendations.

When I speak of a lithium complex grease - what do you think that is if not a synthetic grease? A synthetic grease is still made of the same base crude products as a non synthetic grease though it will be changed at the molecular levels by the addition of other chemicals like silicone, lithium, polymers and a host of other proprietary components to a particular company.

You use whatever you want, I for one will use a bearing or axle manufacturer's recommendations as the basis for my unit's wheel bearing lube requirements. They do know best and have taken bearing life considerations as their basic premise. And as far as shoving grease in a Zerk fitting - virtually any grease through NLGI 4 will go through there, even go through that channel and out that .090 hole I've noted in my earlier post photo.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:42 AM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
IC2,
Your points are well taken. I don't pretend to be an expert nor a lub or oil engineer. I base a lot of my opinions on experiences of mine and the observations made concerning hundreds of kids whom I taught.

This discussion is concerned with the Z-Lube system. A system that I feel is fraught with issues. Lets look at it this way. If you use a quality lube, perform your bearing pack either by hand or using a machine which pumps the grease into the tapered roller bearings, correctly install all races and inner seal, then correctly pre-load and adjust the bearing clearances you're in good shape.

In all my years of performing those steps hundreds of times and teaching my students the same methods I never heard of or experienced any blown inner seals or ruined wheel bearings. We performed these services on hundreds of vehicles, both servicing teachers vehicles and the consumer vehicles. I worked hard at making my students experiences as real world as possible and that included servicing vehicles that were not their own.

If we never saw blown seals and ruined bearings then I get a TT and they want me to use this EZ-Lube system and i start reading about ruined bearings and blown seals there is a problem. Something is wrong with this picture. We serviced wheel bearings every 30,000 to 40,000 miles usually when we performed a front drum or disc brake job.

I just have to ask my self what is wrong?? Why service every 12,000 miles or 12 months. Why put a few squirts of lube every so often?? We NEVER, NEVER, NEVER did that with the fronts of cars/trucks when we did a lot of bearings. Why start now???? I can't believe that TT bearings are under sized. I believe they are OK for the weight they are expected to carry. Yes I do believe that many an owner overloads the bearings. Not having shocks also allows more vibrations which will effect bearing life. There may be other issues which contribute to early bearing and seal failure in the TT industry. I just know it does not exist in the making of standard front wheel bearing systems. Today most vehicles have sealed bearings, FWD so many are not experienced with the older stuff. boat trailers are a different breed. They do get submerged in water and don't have brakes. So squirt a few pumps of lube in them. TT are different.

TeJay
Old 09-01-2014, 07:15 AM   #20

I needed to replace a drum that was scored. I wonder what grease was sent with the drum from Lippert that was packed with new bearings ready to mount? It is by far the thinnest grease I have ever seen-black in color. I been using MYSTIK® JT-6® HI-TEMP grease #2 and it is much thicker to hand pack my bearings. Maybe they call for new grease every year because it is so thin? IMHO I believe your hand packed bearings should last several years. I say each to his own in reference to bearing repack or quick lube. If you use the quick lube I hope none of the grease blows by your seals. Good luck with whatever you do.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:44 AM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
Mobilcastle,
You also arrived at the same conclusion that I did. We both used common sense in what we saw with the thin grease. I also had 40 years of doing, teaching and observing bearings being packed. It never, never made any sense to me why we needed to pack the bearings every year since we never did that on cars/trucks. Who are they to change what was done for many years before they started building TT's.

The EZ- Lube is just a way to try and make the job of servicing bearings easier and often it does not work.

While I respect what design engineers do and what they tell me but they don't have all the answers either. AND they have a large group of lawyers that tell them how to CTA's also.

Yep!!! Do what makes you happy.

TeJay
Old 09-04-2014, 04:37 PM   #22

That is what happened to a friend of mine. They blew the rear seals out and grease all over the brakes. He didn't know $1,800 later it was all fixed. If you hand grease them you can eyeball the bearings and races . Most are cheap bearings. You can replace them with Timken or another quality bearing if you are going to keep it a long time.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:05 PM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
We had two TT's. The first service I did with less than 200 miles on the TT was to R&R all bearings, replace with a good quality bearing, hand pack with a synthetic grease, replace seals, correctly set the bearing clearances. Left it alone for 2 years and all was OK.

Then we traded it for a MH. We are a lot happier now.

TeJay
Old 09-04-2014, 08:59 PM   #24

Was a aircraft technician for 38 years and you hand pack all bearings. I can hand pack me quicker than you can clean them. Put some grease in the palm of your hand and pack me full - don't need any more. If a 100,000 lb aircraft can take off and land over 160 knots time and time again - it works. Just takes good bearings, grease, more seals and don't crank down on the nuts - just tight enough so there is no wobble. If you knew how low the torque on the wheel nuts are on large aircraft you would never fly again. One aircraft you preloaded them to 75 foot lbs back off to 0 then final torque was 25 foot.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:26 PM   #25

If you reaally want to get something going on , jist mention wheel bearings. It never stops. Lol
Old 09-05-2014, 09:24 PM   #26

Let's talk about which hitch to use! That should be good for another 20 post... Haha
Old 09-05-2014, 09:25 PM   #27

Or tires...
Old 09-06-2014, 06:48 AM   #28

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have had three travel trailers with EZ Lube Dexter hubs. As well I run a construction company with six enclosed trailers. We have an annual service program and service the hub as outlined by the manufacturer, but on a semi annual bases.
I have never blown a seal on any of these units while servicing them. They all do between 7 and 10 thousand miles per year with the same so called cheap off shore bearings that are spoken about in this forum. I have never had a bearing failure. If you want to look at why people have bearing failures, let's look at the grease they are using. I use Lucas 'Red and Sticky' on all of our applications where high speed bearing require a superior lubrication. A cheap lower quality grease does not stand up as well. I am also sure that these hubs are not filled by the manufacturer, the way I fill them. I would suggest that they have the bare minimum of required grease at the factory, and are not filled. For that reason, servicing the bearings on a brand new unit is important.
Why is it, that when a better mouse trap or system is invented, that it will always be criticized. The EZ Lube hubs work well. Yes the grease MUST be installed according to manufactures directions. Yes you must rotate the wheel and pump one stroke of the grease gun at a time. I do one pump on one wheel, then rotate. I then go to other wheel and do the same. When you go one to the other, I believe the grease has time to work through and relieve the pressure between pumps.
Any mechanical device will fail without proper servicing !

I PLAN TO LIVE FOREVER. IT'S WORKING SO FAR.
Akibase is offline   Reply With Quote