Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2014, 09:08 AM   #29
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akibase View Post
r, the way I fill them. I would suggest that they have the bare minimum of required grease at the factory, and are not filled.
The hubs are totally full of whatever 'grease' Dexter (Lippert?) uses based on my four and quite a few more that Glendale Titanium owners found when we had to replace the OEM supplied Nevr-Lube failure prone axles. Our new Montana has Eze-Lube hubs. They will be disassembled either this fall or before use in the spring, cleaned out and Mystick JT-6 installed and new outer (at a minimum) Timken bearings - again, based on the low end clunks that I encountered with the Titanium.

Of course, this is my conservative decision. The existing Chinese bearings would probably last longer then our trailer ownership.

Now on to some other emotionaal discussion

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2014, 11:54 AM   #30

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thank You for your comments. Maybe I have just been lucky. I believe that semi annually is sufficient, unless you put a lot of miles on.

I PLAN TO LIVE FOREVER. IT'S WORKING SO FAR.
Akibase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:34 PM   #31

But where to you get these "better quality bearings " that everyone talks about and approx. what is the cost?
Old 09-20-2014, 10:49 AM   #32

Ford Super Duty Owner
We all know that Timkin roller bearings were/are high quality and made in the US but we're not real sure who makes them these days. Also I don't know of a single china motorcycle being sold on the US market. There may be some but. We do know that Japan has been making MC's for years and years. They also make a pretty darn good vehicle. That said, TOYO makes a very good bearing. That's what I've used when replacing the china bearings. Timkin bearings are available and are more expensive so you could also try them but I've been happy with the TOYO bearings and they were also recommended by several technically informed individuals.

TeJay
Old 09-20-2014, 01:46 PM   #33
IC2

I just ordered Timkens from Rock Auto Parts - one inner and all four outers for 6K axles. My recollection was that the entire order was less then $60. Just input the part number (RockAuto Parts Catalog)

SKF, National, Fafnir, Bower are all acceptable brands as well
Old 09-20-2014, 07:30 PM   #34

Thank you all for the input.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:47 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
I just ordered Timkens from Rock Auto Parts - one inner and all four outers for 6K axles. My recollection was that the entire order was less then $60. Just input the part number (RockAuto Parts Catalog)

SKF, National, Fafnir, Bower are all acceptable brands as well
I just used this site. It is excellent-Thanks
Steve
Old 09-23-2014, 10:27 PM   #36

IC2 , thanks for the info , timkens are on the way . 5 inners , 5 outers , all with races for $179.50 .
Old 09-24-2014, 05:55 AM   #37
IC2

Steve & Jim - I hope you are pleased with Rock Auto. Their prices just cannot be beaten anywhere usually even with shipping plus they often have a few percent off coupon code. I generally order any non-OEM specific automotive parts from them as well if I can wait a few days - like all new brakes shortly for my truck.

It does sound like the price of bearings has gone up some since I bought my last batch for te last trailer - ouch. I intend on replacing this 5ers as well in the spring when I do the tires.

Dave W
Old 10-02-2014, 10:29 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Here's MHO. I wouldn't give you 2 cents for any type of EZ-Lube set up. When most vehicles had front wheel bearings we serviced them every 30,000 to 40,000 miles. WHY,WHY,WHY does the TT industry think it is necessary to service their bearings every 12 months or 12,000 miles???? There is really no good reason. Unless you want to check the electric brakes. Are their bearings that lousy that they need inspected that often???? When you service or pay to have service work done long before it is necessary you are spending $$$$$ that you don't have to and more importantly you are opening yourself up to making an error which could cost you more than you bargained for. What can go wrong??? Forget to put the cotter pin back in. Incorrect bearing adjustment, Pack a bearing that is already bad because somebody does not know what to look for when inspecting bearings. Ruin an inner seal during the install. Replace a bearing race and not seat it correctly.
Now on the the EZ-Lube system. First of all they want you to raise the wheel and squirt some grease into the hub. That forces grease into the outer bearing through a very small hole in the axle and into the inner bearing. You pump more grease in and it forces the grease through the inner bearing and back out. Sometimes it won't work that way and the grease gun blows the inner seal out and you grease the brake shoes and drums. Now you have a more serious problem.

Service the bearings by hand packing with a good synthetic lube. Correctly set the bearing clearance and leave it alone for at least 2 years.

TeJay
X2 lubed mine at 50,000 miles and 10 years along with changing brake shoes and backing plates. Now, Another 10 later and 28,000 miles I occasionly check for play in the wheels. Still not ready for a repack.