Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2012, 02:08 PM   #1

Lippert ELECTRIC Leveling system

Hi out there I have a fairly light weight 5ver, 32 Coachman. I am looking for a leveling system has anyone used the Lippert electric system and if so what are your thoughts. Thanks so much

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2012, 03:09 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
It sure looks nice. I didn't realize it was an option when we ordered out Road Warrior and am now pretty upset I wasn't told. I do see where it says it can be installed after the fact but I fear it will be much more costly. Looking forward to seeing if you get some replies on this!

Old 03-29-2012, 05:23 AM   #3

I added this system to our fifth wheel. It is a very easy install which took about 4-6 hours to do. Each leg supports 5,000lbs. Once I have it level, I push the center lift button that operates all four jacks at one time and raise it to where the tires are just about off the ground. It makes the unit very solid!!!!! Rieco Titan Products Ground Control Wireless RV Leveling Systems

Archie
Old 03-29-2012, 08:03 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Interesting Archie! I emailed my rep at Heartland who told me Lippert told them their system could not be retro fitted to my model due to frame differences. Maybe the brand you used can? Will have to do some research.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:53 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Using my existing hydraulic landing gear, it looks like a $3800 install at the Lippert factory. I wonder how much it would have been if I got it when it was being built....
Old 04-08-2012, 11:37 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
lippert problems

Before anyone buys a Lippert system they should look at all these forums. The Lippert system has had significant problems and it doesn't look like the manufacturer backs the system after the warranty has expired. I am still having problems with my system. I have a 2009 Damon Daybreak. The leveling system came with the RV. I had two pumps go bad because of a leaking seal and the auto leveling system puts the wheels off the ground which the manufacturer says is a bad thing. A new pump and motor assembly is $1800 - not including installation. The factory only gives a 90 day warranty on new parts, so if the unit goes out again after 90 days you are out of luck. The pump isn't the only issue with the system. In auto mode it will over extend the lifters, lifting the wheels off the ground, which causes its own problems. I just repaired the second pump and motor. We went to the ocean and it worked three times before it failed again. We would never buy another Lippert system. If we found a Lippert system on a RV we were interested in, it would be a deal breaker!! Be warned!!
Old 04-08-2012, 05:26 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfdladder11 View Post
Before anyone buys a Lippert system they should look at all these forums. The Lippert system has had significant problems and it doesn't look like the manufacturer backs the system after the warranty has expired. I am still having problems with my system. I have a 2009 Damon Daybreak. The leveling system came with the RV. I had two pumps go bad because of a leaking seal and the auto leveling system puts the wheels off the ground which the manufacturer says is a bad thing. A new pump and motor assembly is $1800 - not including installation. The factory only gives a 90 day warranty on new parts, so if the unit goes out again after 90 days you are out of luck. The pump isn't the only issue with the system. In auto mode it will over extend the lifters, lifting the wheels off the ground, which causes its own problems. I just repaired the second pump and motor. We went to the ocean and it worked three times before it failed again. We would never buy another Lippert system. If we found a Lippert system on a RV we were interested in, it would be a deal breaker!! Be warned!!
Interesting and thanks for your take on it. I have been reading about it on the Heartland forums and everyone there swears by it. As for your issue with lifting the wheels, I'm not sure if your model is different or if things have changed since yours was build, but Lippert's own web site touts that it lifts the wheels off the ground and even goes so far as to say, it's an easy way to change a flat.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:33 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by taken View Post
As for your issue with lifting the wheels, I'm not sure if your model is different or if things have changed since yours was build, but Lippert's own web site touts that it lifts the wheels off the ground and even goes so far as to say, it's an easy way to change a flat.
Lippert might say that but the RV manufacturer could say no if they feel their frame would be too stressed by it.
On our rig Newmar says it's OK, Spartan says it's OK and HWH says it's OK, so we do, but the front end only as the brakes are only on the rear.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:41 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Lippert might say that but the RV manufacturer could say no if they feel their frame would be too stressed by it.
On our rig Newmar says it's OK, Spartan says it's OK and HWH says it's OK, so we do, but the front end only as the brakes are only on the rear.
Makes sense. Of course most frames come from Lippert anyway.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:37 PM   #10
Commercial Member

hwh also makes an automatic leveling system for fifth wheels. it bolts in same place as the front landing gear, normally without modification, and the rear jacks bolt up just behind the rear spring shackle. its not to hard to install, ive done several of them.
its on hwh's website.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:06 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
I wouldn't go with a 4 jack system...
Old 04-12-2012, 08:56 AM   #12
Commercial Member

my first thought is that there are no three jack systems for fifth wheels. but then i realized you meant using a two front jack system. the hwh system uses two jacks at the time, the frame is never twisted. it levels on planes, not corners. side to side, or front to rear. this is why it works with any frame. ive installed a lot of these systems on horse trailers, commercial trailers, and recreational rv's. never had a complaint about twisting the frame. if the frame is stiff enough, like horse trailers are, you can reasonable use the landing gear to level if you are on a good site.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:44 AM   #13

I have the Lippert system on my new trailer and really like it thus far. Not that leveling was every really that difficult, but any extra relax time I can gain during a short weekend camping trip is great to have. Only thing I found that does not work quite as advertised (at least on mine) is the position memory for hooking back up to the TV. It has been off on the high side (1-3 inches) each time. Not a big deal.

Also, you really need to follow the suggestion in the users manual about getting the TV clear of the trailer before hitting the "auto level" button. That nose drops pretty quick to start the sequence. Kind of entertaining to sit back and watch.

-Glenn
Montana Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:47 AM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by azpete View Post
my first thought is that there are no three jack systems for fifth wheels. but then i realized you meant using a two front jack system. the hwh system uses two jacks at the time, the frame is never twisted. it levels on planes, not corners. side to side, or front to rear. this is why it works with any frame. ive installed a lot of these systems on horse trailers, commercial trailers, and recreational rv's. never had a complaint about twisting the frame. if the frame is stiff enough, like horse trailers are, you can reasonable use the landing gear to level if you are on a good site.
Actually no, I was referring to a 6 jack system like the Lippert Level Up.

Tags
leveling