Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2006, 06:30 AM   #1

On the last leg of our 5000k mile trip to Ontario as we set up at a camp site we noticed a problem with our front cap.

So as soon as we got home we took the trailer to a RV repair shop,
2 days later they had the cap off and here is what they found.

Looks like it cracked where the kingpin hanger beam was welded to
the front cross beam, possibly weakening the beam.

Hijacker 4 Way Pivot, Integrated controler, 2004 Prowler Regal Advantage AX6 36.5 FLTS
charlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2006, 07:02 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Doesn't sound like a great trip!

Out of curiosity, what kind of hitch arrangement are you running?

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 09:54 AM   #3

You can sell the meteorite on E-Bay and recoup your loss!
Old 08-29-2006, 02:37 PM   #4

HI Charlan; I have a toybox with a lippert frame. It appears to be coming apart. My gearbox was purchased new from affordable rv in ontario Ca. in late 2004 it shows a manufacture date of 09-2004. It has about 1200 to 1500 miles on it. All I haul is 2 honda atvs and 100 gls of water. I tow it with a chevy kodiak equiped with air ride and a B&W companion hitch.
It is a 37ft. 5th wheel, it is cracking by the bedroom slide up stairs. Pictures to follow as soon as I figure out how to post them. Let me know what Lipert and Fleetwood say. Thanx RVPARKER
rv parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 03:50 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I find it odd that in the past few months I've read more and more on frame failures and how some Mfg's know about the problem yet there is no re-call issued; at least not a wide spread one. It's a shame that a number of people will have to get mamed or killed before they'll do something to correct this wrong.
There is another very similar post on RV_Net regarding the Lippert frame failure....I haven't heard it on any other products but Lippert.

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34TGA
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
woodburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 03:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally posted by RustyJC:
Doesn't sound like a great trip!

Out of curiosity, what kind of hitch arrangement are you running?

Rusty
Hijacker 4 way pivot

Hijacker 4 Way Pivot, Integrated controler, 2004 Prowler Regal Advantage AX6 36.5 FLTS
Old 08-30-2006, 03:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally posted by rv parker:
HI Charlan; I have a toybox with a lippert frame. It appears to be coming apart. My gearbox was purchased new from affordable rv in ontario Ca. in late 2004 it shows a manufacture date of 09-2004. It has about 1200 to 1500 miles on it. All I haul is 2 honda atvs and 100 gls of water. I tow it with a chevy kodiak equiped with air ride and a B&W companion hitch.
It is a 37ft. 5th wheel, it is cracking by the bedroom slide up stairs. Pictures to follow as soon as I figure out how to post them. Let me know what Lipert and Fleetwood say. Thanx RVPARKER

Old 08-31-2006, 04:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally posted by charlan:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rv parker:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lippert and Fleetwood point the finger at each other, lippert says they built to fleetwood spec,Fleetwood says if so it wouldn't break.
Anyway my Insurance is covering it and I will see if they recoop from manufacturers.

Old 09-02-2006, 02:00 AM   #9

Wow.

It would probably be a good idea to see if you can report it to NTSB.

Also, I've got to ask... what happened with the rock?
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 05:19 AM   #10

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
We have a Lippert frame on out 03 Arctic Fox and in over 20K miles of towing no problems.
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 06:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff_in_The_Dalles:
Wow.

It would probably be a good idea to see if you can report it to NTSB.

Also, I've got to ask... what happened with the rock?
Lots of falling rocks in the mountains up here, that one decided to go through our roof.

Old 09-20-2006, 02:43 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Has anyone heard of any resolution to this problem? Heard of any more this is happening to?

2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Old 09-23-2006, 04:21 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally posted by woodburner:
Has anyone heard of any resolution to this problem? Heard of any more this is happening to?
The frame has been repaired, still waiting for the rest of the repairs (rock damage), the insurance company is paying for all the repairs so I dont know what, if any, they will get reembursed from Lippert/Fleetwood.

Old 09-24-2006, 02:23 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That's what I was curious about; whether or not Fleetwood had stepped up to the plate....this should be a warning to those considering their product if they deny you the repairs.

2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport