Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2016, 06:35 PM   #1

Lippert Frame Problem - Contact Info Needed

Hello, Everyone!

I am a long-time lurker and a brand-new member of iRV2.com. This is my first post. Sorry to make it a bummer of a first post. Read on. . .

My wife and I are relatively new to RVing. Prior to owning our 2013 Infinity, we had never owned an RV. However, after our first trip we were hooked, and have enjoyed every trip and minute since. Well, until now.

After a couple of years, I noticed a small crack developing on the outside upper right corner of the main slide in the 5th wheel. I took it to a repair shop, which simply patched it up and sent us on our way.

Fast forward another year or two, and the crack not only returned, but was worse than before, and was now also on the inside of the coach. To make matters worse, the impact of what I suspect is a frame issue now affects our cabinets on the inside of the coach. Things are clearly getting worse. As a side note, we have not had any accidents, have taken meticulous care of the RV, have not had it off road, etc.

I took the 5r to our (new - different than the one that did the patch) repair shop. High quality outfit, great service. However, they took one look, and said that his repair is beyond their capabilities. They referred me to another shop, which focuses on RV collision repair, frame repairs, etc.

The collision shop took a long, hard look at things, and ultimately indicated they would not take on the work as they cannot guarantee that they can fix it. They also called around, and are aware of a couple of other frame-related issues in the area at this time. They suggested I contact Dutchmen, which I did, and (no surprise here) Dutchmen indicated this was not due to a design flaw. The shop has now suggested I contact Lippert.

Do any of you have current contact information on who I might call and / or write at Lippert to get help with this? We are currently dead in the water, as neither my wife nor I trust taking this obviously wounded rig out for any trips.

Your advice and information will be appreciated.
NM.West is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2016, 06:37 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Welcome to the forum . Here's the contact info I have. Good luck,
Cliff

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1468456580.816268.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	132939

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:42 PM   #3

Do you have an extension on the pin for a ball in bed? Seen this on many 5thers with one.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:39 PM   #4

So sorry to hear you're having that type of a seemingly serious problem.
Just curious if you've ever had that bad-boy across a CAT scale?
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:00 AM   #5

Clifftall - The telephone numbers are a little different than what I found on Lippert's website. I'll try one or more today. Thanks!
Old 07-14-2016, 08:06 AM   #6

Glennwest - no extension. Tri-Glide on the trailer, Reese hitch in the truck.

MntTrek - had it on CAT scales at the front end of our last trip (a week or so before the crack widened). We are fine on weight.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:42 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
NM.West,

I suggest you contact Kansas RV Center in Chanute, KS and talk to Daryl Denise, the service manager. This is the place that used t build NuWa HitchHiker trailers and they know their business very well. They can take on major structural problems.

We had a Carriage Cameo repaired there and the work was excellent and reasonable.

He will probably need some close up photos of the area.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 03:55 PM   #8

Do a search for this Lippert document "0236-Upper-Deck-Flex-Measurement-Instructions" and follow it as best you can. Unfortunately the measurement points that Lippert defines are not accessible 99% of the time, but select points as close as possible. Also, Lippert doesn't list values for 'pass' vs. 'fail', but if you have numbers it will help with your communications with Lippert.

Finally, you probably don't have warranty coverage at this time, if so, make it clear to Lippert that you are seeking technical direction and not financial aid. Meaning you can't find local help with the knowledge and expertise on how to proceed and you need Lippert's help it defining the fix.

I had too much flex on my unit (but no damage) and brought it to the manufacturer's and Lippert's attention. Lippert corporate defined the changes (what new steel needed to be fabricated and where to weld the extra bracing), my dealer removed the front cap, a Lippert mobile tech did the repairs and the dealer then replaced the front cap and trim. That was over 4 yrs ago. I have pics of my repairs including a copy of the highlighted Lippert frame drawing, but your repairs are certainly different and Lippert is the best place to get the right direction. May not be ez.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frame, lippert