Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2012, 08:53 PM   #1

Lippert Landing Gear Problems

I've owned a '09 Montana 10th Anniversary 3075 since Jan '09. When I bought it, I was told I would probably have to replace the in-line fuse on the landing gear if it doesn't work. I've had to replace it many times over the past 3 yrs. Last week, my manual switches to extend/retract the landing gear & stabilizers quit working, but my remote still worked on them. And just yesterday, I retracted the landing gear (and the slides) to add hydraulic fluid. Now the landing gear won't do anything but the motor makes a ratcheting noise like when it's fully retracted. I've read the owner's manual for the Lippert Hydraulic Landing Gear which refers to Fig 7, but there's no Fig 7 in the pdf file. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!
Alberthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2012, 06:53 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
We had an 07 Montana 3400, the only time the fuse blew was when I pulled the landing gear up too far...it was a factory 40 amp fuse. Call Keystone or Lippert with your problem, they are great for customer service.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:22 AM   #3

The second day we owned our new to us 2007 Cougar 5th wheel, the fuse blew on our landing gear and I replaced three times without being able to lower the landing gear. Very frustrated I called the dealership we purchased from and they asked me to bring it right in. The sevice rep and tech said it appeared the landing gear had been raised too high (found out during discussions this a problem because there is no cutoff to prevent) and the landing gear shaft had probably previously been slightly bent causing it to be lodged in the retracted position. They also noted that they had forgot to mark the landing gear where the retraction should stop. The dealership was great, they replaced the landing gear that was causing the problem at no cost to us. Had to laugh as the tech who was doing the demonstation after the repair, retracted the landing gear too far, when he was preparing to mark it and it blew the fuse. They were very apologetic for not covering this situation in the walk through. Bottom line in my opinion you should never retract the gear until it ratchets (as I did), you should find a level and mark the landing gear to prevent future problems. By the way, this was our first RV with power landing gear, so every new system I have to remember I am a rookie, this forum has become a great resource for us.

Good Luck
Cougar276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:01 AM   #4

Thanks CAT320! Called both Lippert and Keystone - they were very helpful. Took the top off of the landing gear...looks like the gear on top of the leg is broken off. As far as my manual switches not working for the slides/landing gear/stabs, but the remote control working...Keystone tells me there's something wrong with the "brain" in the front compartment.

QUESTION!!! Anyone have any ideas to lift the front of my 5th wheel (w/ only one good landing gear) so I can hook it up and take it in for repair???
Old 03-14-2012, 12:07 PM   #5

Use wood cribbing and a bottle jack under the frame up front GOOGLE WOOD CRIBBING and you'll see what I mean if you don't understand what I'm talking about " not saying you don't " I lift construction equipment all day. Should be simple enough good luck
Old 03-15-2012, 06:38 PM   #6

Thanks a bunch Grumpyyy! Got it loaded and took it to the dealer. Should be covered by "The Plan" by Prizm - 7 year extended warranty...I hope!
Old 03-16-2012, 12:13 PM   #7

Good luck with that. I got tired of replacing the fuse and rebuilding the Lippet gears. Finally replaced both legs with ones that will lift 6,000 lbs. each and are individually controlled. The Lippet legs are not strong enough to handle much weight. Yes, the warrenty did cover the first rebuild but after that I was on my own. No help from Libbet or Keystone.
Dick Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:07 PM   #8

I have the same problem with the same model. Would you please call me 608-797-1401 so that I can discuss a fix.
Billyrayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:16 PM   #9

My fix

This happened in Mar '12 - I ended up having to get a new landing gear (it was bent) and a new brain (the remote wasn't working). Pretty simple fix...unfortunately no much of a do it yourself job, at least not for me.