Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2013, 04:55 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Lippert six point leveling system

I have a 2011 Silver Back 29 re 5th wheel. I would like to hear the pros and cons of this system before I have it install.
Thanks,
T.L.T.
t.l.t. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2013, 05:56 PM   #2

We have 2009 Cedar Creek 36RD5S. Had the LevelUp installed last year in August, at the Lippert Service Center. Have not had any problems and love it!!! Very easy to setup, we also have an electric stabilizer on The back and use the pin hitch tri-pod. That does makes the unit stable, even when the washer is running. I did make pads for under the jack pads. Used 2X8's screwed together, staggered so the finished size is 15X15X3. Anyway, in my estimation, the system is well worth the cost, if you are or will be traveling a lot. If you are using the unit for limited usage, it may not be worth the cost.

Hope it helps and God bless,
Mike
mike1poles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:12 PM   #3

[QUOTE=t.l.t.;1729152]I have a 2011 Silver Back 29 re 5th wheel. I would like to hear the pros and cons of this system before I have it install.
Thanks,
T.L.T.[/QUOTE

It works. I believe on the new installs the front jacks are all hydraulic, which is important for the self-leveling feature, as the front MUST drop below level for it to work properly.

Pros:
Self-leveling
Side-to side and front-to back leveling, but use 4x8 or 4x10 blocks if you are too far out of level.
Relatively quick and easy.
The panel tells you how far out of level you are if you use the up and down keys before you start.
It can be used, despite the disclaimers, to raise one side to change a tire.

Cons:
The system is a huge battery drain, so plug in before you use it. It is said to do up to 6 complete cycles on new deep cycle batteries with no outside power. I prefer not to test it to the limits.
I believe some situations may be too severe, especially L to R, but verify this.
Some systems have an auto-reset breaker, and some have a manual reset. Know which one you have and where it is, and be sure you can get to it without removing a lot of cover plates.

Have had it for 2 summers, 18,000 miles, and like it a lot. It or something similar would be on the "must haves" for any future trailer.
Terry Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:47 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
We have the OEM Lippert Six Point Leveling our our new 2014 Cedar Creek 34 RSLA.
To give you a good short answer, it's the best thing since sliced bread. Would never have another RV without it. I actually enjoy setting up now. Don't mind moving about as much because it is so easy to set up the RV.

Only thing, if you are on a site that is way off level side to side I still use leveling blocks on the low side so the Level Up won't raise the tires off the ground. I have read where there is no harm having the tires off the ground but I like to keep the tires on a sold base.
lakefront5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:37 PM   #5

We have the 6 point Lippert hydraulic leveling system on our new 2013 Sanibel 3600 5th. My only complaint is I can't drink my beer fast enough, before the coach is level, and I have to go inside and push the buttons that open the slide outs and awning. DW is a real task master. My finger hurts.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:00 PM   #6

We setup in 12 minutes and the longest time is spend opening the 4 slides. At $20.00 per hour it's $5 per set up and divided in $2000 its 400 setups and we move the unit 20 times per year while full timing so in 20 years I will afford a new unit. But the last unit lasted 15 years.
I would rather save the weight for more important equipment that I will use more often.
Like a farmer told me after getting ride of his unit with front hydraulic landing gear. "When does the hydraulic fail. It a mather of not if but when will it fail and drop". After all MH still have the wheels to backup the hydraulics. And I know of failures on MH and my knowledge of MHs is limited but hydraulics I am very knowledgeable with many years of managing major hydraulic equipment.

Tags
leveling