Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2008, 02:04 PM   #1

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Today I took our fiver in for service on brakes and pack wheel bearings. When I got it back I check my brakes and had very little. I usually have the Prodigy set at 6.1 and it would hardly slow it down with truck at idle. If I turned it up to 13 it was about normal. That as far as it will go. After many checks from the RV dealer. I headed home with it set on 8.0. I live in flat lands and took it easy. After about 20 miles everthing returned to normal. I now have plenty brake at my setting of 6.0. I thought the guy did not adjust the brakes arter removing the drums. This is the third time they have service the bearings and never happen before. Any idea to what went wrong?
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2008, 06:35 PM   #2

I'd say it depends on how they serviced the brakes. Sounds like they just needed to reseat.
Fulltimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 07:35 PM   #3

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I was there when he did the last two wheels. He did not remove the brakes as he said they were good. The truck and trailer where stoped and start several times by me and them around their lot. They pulled it back into the bay and hooked the brakes to some kind of machine to check the brakes and gave it back to me and it was no better.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:30 PM   #4

I guess the only way to know for sure what's going on would be to pull a drum yourself to see if there is contamination, and to check the adjustment yourself...
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 03:19 AM   #5

This is not that unusual. Sometimes the mechanic will shoot the drums and plate with brake cleaner to clean them up. Sometimes he will get some dirty fingers on the drum when installing. All that stuff has to burn off before you get good brakes. Typically, it takes several good stops - - like maybe 20 miles or so. You say they are back to normal after 20 miles - - sounds pretty typical.
Bob
Old 02-02-2009, 09:01 AM   #6

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
The RV service is where I have taken it in every year and this was the first time I had any problem. The fiver has now been to Florida and back with no problems. Now as far as this RV service I will not be taking it back as the service manager was not very nice. I did not bring the brake problem to him as the brakes were good when I left home. Next year I will try another place.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:54 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Problems like this usually go back to the quality of work performed by the technician. If he leaves greasy hand prints on the drums and linings, you will have a problem like you describe. Once the grease burns off, braking returns (sometimes!). Also, anytime you remove the drums and reinstall them, the wear in the linings do not match perfectly with the wear in the drums. Then you have only the high points of the linings and drums making contact. After some use, they tend to settle back into their original positions IF THE TECHNICIAN DID NOT CHANGE POSITION OF THE DRUMS. In other words, if he put the drums from the front axle on the rear axle and vise-versa, the wear patterns do not match. You will have to wait until they 'wear in' some to get decent braking. This is the reason that I will not let anyone service my bearings or brakes. I keep everything matched to it'd original location and everything is kept very clean.
Jerry
2005 Country Coach Inspire Quad Slide w/C9-400 Kitty Kat, 2013 Honda CR-V, "RVing since 1968". Escapee #27953, FMCA #12697, Good Sam Life Mbr.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:23 AM   #8

I guess this is why I prefer to do the wheel bearing repack and brake inspection myself.

If they put in new shoes, it can take a few good hard stops for them to bed in and produce full braking power, but it sounds like your problem has persisted much longer.

All of us being human, I would imagine even the best professional could do a set of brakes and only find out after someone tows the rig that there's a problem. The difference between good and bad service, to me, would be what they do when that happens.

If you don't already have this info, both Dexter and Al-Ko have very nice downloadable pdf manuals for free.

Under "Service Information" select complete service manual.

http://www.dexteraxle.com/products___literature

And here, just click on "Owner's Manual".

http://www.al-kousa.com/

It is worth it to save both to your hard drive.

If the 5th wheel's brakes still aren't working right, whether the shop that did the work will look at it or not, I'd suggest either figuring it out yourself or taking it to another shop to get whatever it is corrected.
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote