Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2016, 11:14 AM   #29

Unless you like the cold Your going to freeze!
RayJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2018, 06:40 PM   #30

i have a 2014 Forest river sierra 370RDOK 43 foot and love it.
Jeff6146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:46 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff6146 View Post
i have a 2014 Forest river sierra 370RDOK 43 foot and love it.
So it is comfortable at 19°?
Kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:40 PM   #32

I’ve helped the kid set up his fifth wheel in both North Dakota and Wyoming while he was working the oil fields. It a well insulated 4 season rig, but still has issues staying comfortable on cold windy days. He has an external 500 gallon tank, which in North Dakota needs refilled at least once to get through the winter.

My 35 foot fifth wheel gets used in the shoulder seasons but so far no brutal cold. With nighttime temps dropping to the teens, and daytime temps in the 40’s I tend to burn through 30 gallons of propane in 3to 5 days. We turn the heat down a fair bit at night and use heavy blankets on the bed. You can’t turn it clear off though as you need enough heat going to the belly to keep the tanks and plumbing from freezing.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:54 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJr View Post
Unless you like the cold Your going to freeze!
This does not have to be true. We have a new RiverStone that is not skirted. We use supplemental electric heaters along with the propane furnace. We have been very comfortable at temperatures down to -10 degrees F. No freezing issues in the trailer and no more than $3.50/day for propane. They refill our 100 gal bottle every 20 days and so far no bills higher than $68.

It really is important to pay attention to how your unit is constructed!
Old 02-14-2018, 08:08 PM   #34

I would at least consider a tiny house built on a trailer so it could be moved. There really are no great insulated 5th wheels. With the thin 2" maybe 2.5" walls it just does not keep the cold out.

Like others have said, use electric heaters and electric fireplace if equipped.

To use the propane furnace it will use a lot. By a lot a 30 lb propane might last 2 days. One thing that really surprised me is you have to always have a heat source running full time. Day and night 24 hours. As soon as you turn off the heat it gets cold in 10 minutes.

Again, for your use, at least think about a tiny house on a trailer. They will be insulated and built better for cold weather.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 11:25 PM   #35

You might investigate a “Cheap Heat” system.
CheapHeat

You will also want holding tank heat pads.

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5K
Gray01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 11:22 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphie View Post
As others have stated, it depends on the RV. Generally, two 30lb tanks will probably get used up in 2-3 days in avg. 30 degree temps which is what we experienced in a 38' FR Wildcat FW, a typical mid-level priced FW. It did have a heated basement but not a lot of basement under the rear so the floors would get cool. We've never used the Montana, a "4 season" FW, in any cold weather so I can't state that it would be better than the Wildcat. If you're going to winter over, it would be advisable to look into skirting and hay bales, and lease a large propane tank so that you won't have to lug 30lb bottles around.

i have 2 30lb tanks and got one out of a field, cleaned it up and put new nozzle on it. it’s a 100lb. i think i’ll be good on my propane for an extended time and i have a fireplace that’s electric and one of the electric heaters from Lowe’s. i really think i can find a solar system that will accommodate me. i just need to make sure i get enough. i’m pulling a 16 foot enclosed trailer also behind the 42-43 foot camper. i’m pulling that with a 16 F350 dually lariat. i really appreciate all you helping with calculating my KW’s
Jeff6146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 12:19 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
It has been noted but keeping the wind from blowing under the unit goes a long way to staying warm at a reasonable price. Plywood around the exterior will pay for itself really quickly.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:23 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebxl View Post
I'm getting back into a RV and it's going to be a big 40' 5th wheel. I want to live in the Cleveland/Helen GA area where it can get down below freezing, (even 19 degrees or less sometimes) at night in the winter months. So here's my questions:
1. With only 2, 30 gallon LP tanks for heat about how long will they last?
2. Do the floors get cold? I know in my 40' motor home, they got cold! Do ANY 5'vrs have heated floors? I can't find one.

I won't have a truck so I'd have to pay about $1,300 ( $2.50/mile) to have someone haul it south for me to get out of the cold so I thought I'd just stay there in the winter.

Thanks in advance

I have a 415 amp Xlr Thunderbolt toy hauler that we live in year round. U don’t need a heated water hose just fill the on board water tank. All the tanks are heated if need be. Everything is insulated ( some what ) you could add bubble rapp to windows if need be.
I have been using 2 ceramic heaters with the furnace as a backup.
The 12’ garage is our main lounging tv room. Stays pretty toasty with one of the small ceramic heaters,,, also has a 1/4 bath back there.
The main thing is—— the wifey is very happy.
U-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 06:45 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by U-me View Post
I have a 415 amp Xlr Thunderbolt toy hauler that we live in year round. U don’t need a heated water hose just fill the on board water tank. All the tanks are heated if need be. Everything is insulated ( some what ) you could add bubble rapp to windows if need be.
I have been using 2 ceramic heaters with the furnace as a backup.
The 12’ garage is our main lounging tv room. Stays pretty toasty with one of the small ceramic heaters,,, also has a 1/4 bath back there.
The main thing is—— the wifey is very happy.
Happy wife, Happy LIFE!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel