Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2018, 12:23 PM   #1

Living Room Slide Screws Shearing

I have hydraulic slides on a 2016 Crossroads Carriage 38SB. When closing the living room slide, it has been hesitating lately. When I got out, there were three lag screws that appeared to be sheared off of the underside of the outside wall of the slide. A pic is attached of the bolts. The dealer added additional lag screws, but that doesn't explain why this is happening.

I also included a construction view that came with the sales brochure, and I'm assuming the screws go into the 1 x 1" wood inserts that must sit on top of the LCI hydraulic support. (I'll get pics of the underside next week)

Anyone run into this issue and maybe know where I could get some extra lag screws? The end that is sheared is pointed for going into the wood floor. (so how do I get the screw heads out also?)

Thanks,
Gene
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide pin.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	229004   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide Wall.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	229005  

gford10480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2018, 02:26 PM   #2

Home Depot or Lowes, or Ace hardware .......
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 08:46 AM   #3

Just spitballing here but it sounds like something may be hanging up somewhere (the hesitation) then the power of the hydraulic ram overcomes the hang up to bring the slide in. The force to overcome the hangup could be causing the screws to shear.

If it s a flush floor design, does it look like the slide box has at least a little wobble coming in or out? Mine wobble slightly on the way out then just before it’s fully extended, the top “drops” out followed by the bottom to sit flush and make a seal.
Joe11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 09:45 AM   #4

yeah, the important thing is to figure out WHY the screws are shearing. Stuff like that isn't high quality from a fastener standpoint. There could be flaws from forming the thread, or they could be going not an unseen piece of metal and over tightened.

But properly designed, a joint should always load the fasteners in shear and they should not fail, so this indicates bad parts, a bad design, or both.

If you have access, the good news is they should not be hard to remove. I'd think a left hand drill bit of about 50% of the remaining diameter should do it. You'll need a really hard bit - cobalt, and it will be difficult to start, but the remaining part of the fastener shouldn't have a lot of torque left on it.

Post a high magnification picture of the end of the bolts - the shape of the fracture surface tells a lot.

Then you have to figure out how to take load off the joint, or it will just keep happening, unless the parts were simply over tightened into a piece of metal.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 07:24 PM   #5

My thought is leave the broken lag screws alone and redrill for new locations. Then find out why the excessive stress.

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 07:14 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
I would venture to guess the factory installers didn't get them screw in all the way and they caught on something and sheared off. Pictures of the broken fasteners and there locations would assist in our couch based counselling.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scr, slide