Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2007, 05:44 PM   #1

New Horizons Owners Club
I've got my first major repair problem. When opening my living room slide for the first time this season a big section of the seal of one of the vertical flanges pulled completely loose.

The adhesive failed and the metal "tines" pulled completely out of the rubber. There was no getting it back in place.

So it appears that I will have to replace the whole seal but as best I can tell that means pulling the slide completely out.

Anybody been down this road and know of a better way that does not include a trip to the factory?

jperry29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2007, 05:44 PM   #2

New Horizons Owners Club
I've got my first major repair problem. When opening my living room slide for the first time this season a big section of the seal of one of the vertical flanges pulled completely loose.

The adhesive failed and the metal "tines" pulled completely out of the rubber. There was no getting it back in place.

So it appears that I will have to replace the whole seal but as best I can tell that means pulling the slide completely out.

Anybody been down this road and know of a better way that does not include a trip to the factory?

Old 04-05-2007, 07:55 PM   #3

I had the seal fail on the bedroom slide. I decided I could fix it, and took the trim loose. It was not a huge job, but took some time to figure it out. I have a different unit than you do, so how exactly your seal is installed might be different. If you took it into a dealer they will know for sure. If you want to do it yourself, you might ask them exactly what is involved and then decide if you think you can do it. Mine took me about 2 hours, and I never did one before.

1999 International 4700 Low pro
weighit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 05:22 PM   #4

I had the same problem with my 10' long living room slide out. In my case, I was able to pull the rubber seal off the metal trim, and install the new seal (which just pushes back onto the trim) without pulling the slide completely out. I pulled the slide out about 12" and used a "super wonderbar" to press the seal back on to the trim since my fingers weren't strong enough by themselves. The hardest job was in cleaning the old adhesive off the trim after pulling the old seal off.

Sheff

2012 3500 Dodge dually
sheff69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 05:31 PM   #5

I should have looked before I answered, I just noticed, you have a Newmar too. My new seal cost me $185 ordered directly from Newmar.

My guess is, your seal will be the same as mine. It installs (just pushes) onto a flat thin metal trim installed along the edge of the hole in the side of the trailer, that the slide moves in and out of.

The whole job took me about 4 hours.

Sheff

2012 3500 Dodge dually
Old 04-10-2007, 04:42 PM   #6

New Horizons Owners Club
Thanks Sheff,

I wrote Newmar and after 10 days still no answer.

Went to a local authorized Newmar dealer, he called his parts hot line number right then and got a quote for the seal for me, about $10/ft.

However, this seal has a heat activated adhesive. I will have to do a bang-up job of cleaning the seal seat and then figure out how to work it on and get the right amount of heat for the right amount of time on it. The dealer says it can be done without pulling the slide. Like you, he said it was about a 4 hour job.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:35 PM   #7
North Central Texas Area Leader

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
I had the same problem on one of the horizontal seals on my rig. Went to the dealer and purchase a replacement seal which come on a long roll for about $6 a foot. Put the slide out about 12 inches, cleaned the old trim with alcohol, sprayed the new seal along the opening and down into the metal spring inbedded in the seal with silcone spray, started at one end and popped it on just using my hands to push it onto the trim. Was not too difficult at all.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:38 PM   #8

That's odd. The rubber seal on mine had a flap that was coated with a plain old adhesive covered by a vinyl tape. I installed the rubber seal, then lifted the flap and pulled the tape off, and pressed the flap back down. Did that last year and I think it's still working. I say think, because it is still too cold to go out and look.

One other thing to keep in mind, is to make sure you know how the corner goes together. You have to cut the seal at an angle to get it to turn the corner. Make sure you examine how yours is cut before you take the seal off. I would recommend taking measurements and possibly a photo of what it looks like.

Sheff.

2012 3500 Dodge dually