RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2019, 03:01 PM   #29

Going from what you have to a 32-34' 3 slide will seem huge. Before plonking the money down on a 38' plus monster take a look at some of the <36'ers. You might be pleasantly surprised. The big ones have the same appliances, the same furniture, some more storage & much more floor space. Who needs floor space?

Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2019, 03:31 PM   #30

If you live by yourself do you need a separate room for your office or will a designated office area do?

Old 02-10-2019, 08:16 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisavaet View Post
The bunk house models do seem popular for use as an office/study, but I've been concerned about how the closed space will do in the 120deg F temperatures we see here for several months at a time in LV. I'm not so concerned about cold as I LIKE it cold in the winter. But I can't deal with hot and stuffy.

Have you guys used the bunk room during extended high temp periods??

Thanks!
Kate
We live in the mountains of SW Virginia, but we do have hot weather in the summer. We get hot/humid - think 90s with 90% humidity, sometimes 100%. We camp-host during the month of August, so we are in it for 30 days at a time and have never had a problem with the room getting too hot. We had a problem when we first got it, but the ducting was not hooked up correctly. DH fixed it with some duct tape and it's been chugging along great.

Our daughter likes it VERY cool and she runs a small fan, also.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:49 PM   #32

Thanks for the comments on the cooling and size all.

Mostly I want to have a separate work area so I still have a dining area. I donít like clutter. A wide body two or three slide 35 footer might be great.

I do like the new Jayco North Points with the triple AC options. They have a 120 gal propane package w the generator prep as well.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:52 PM   #33

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks for the comments on the cooling and size all.

Mostly I want to have a separate work area so I still have a dining area. I donít like clutter. A wide body two or three slide 35 footer might be great.

I do like the new Jayco North Points with the triple AC options. They have a 120 gal propane package w the generator prep as well.

You might want to double check the literature, 120 gallon or 120 pound -
There is a significant difference. A 4" tall, 100# propane tank holds roughly 25g.

Also, you might want to check on consumption as I believe that most on-board 5kw propane generators operate at near 1 gal of propane used per hour when under load (like AC).

If it were 120 pounds of propane and not 120g, your generator run time might be near to approx. 25-30 hours.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:15 AM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Dry camping in places like quartzite are pretty much zero problem for a rig of any size...
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:36 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natebert View Post
You might want to double check the literature, 120 gallon or 120 pound -
There is a significant difference. A 4" tall, 100# propane tank holds roughly 25g.

Also, you might want to check on consumption as I believe that most on-board 5kw propane generators operate at near 1 gal of propane used per hour when under load (like AC).

If it were 120 pounds of propane and not 120g, your generator run time might be near to approx. 25-30 hours.
You are correct, my brain fade! It is three forty pound tanks!
Old 02-14-2019, 06:16 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
I remember you from your truck thread last summer when you were shopping trucks. I just sold a 2018 GMC Denali 3500 DRW. But not because I didn't like it but because wife and I decided to go with smaller 5th wheel over next few years and to do full-time traveling.

We winter in Havasu. We currently have a 2016 Northwood Arctic Fox 35-5Z (39') in like new condition. We are completely bias toward the AF line-up because we've had 3 NW products over the years and think they are some of the best built units out there. In fact, we just ordered a 2020 model!

We absolutely love the 39' but want to go smaller for more frequent travel (every few days on the move). We have had ZERO problems with our 2016 since new. How many can say that these days.? While we haven't advertised it yet we may sell before we head back N at the end of April.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Kxk2tasF8AdELa7FA
tophog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 07:21 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophog View Post
I remember you from your truck thread last summer when you were shopping trucks. I just sold a 2018 GMC Denali 3500 DRW. But not because I didn't like it but because wife and I decided to go with smaller 5th wheel over next few years and to do full-time traveling.

We winter in Havasu. We currently have a 2016 Northwood Arctic Fox 35-5Z (39') in like new condition. We are completely bias toward the AF line-up because we've had 3 NW products over the years and think they are some of the best built units out there. In fact, we just ordered a 2020 model!

We absolutely love the 39' but want to go smaller for more frequent travel (every few days on the move). We have had ZERO problems with our 2016 since new. How many can say that these days.? While we haven't advertised it yet we may sell before we head back N at the end of April.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Kxk2tasF8AdELa7FA
We love our Arctic Fox truck camper. Been contemplating purchase of a fiver for a future home base. Would definitely consider Arctic Fox as a premium over most other brands. However be aware that the Arctic Fox brands are heavier than other brands of similar size. A penalty to pay for quality construction.
Chriswar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 09:59 AM   #38

Perfect 5er for you

This one has everything you're looking for. It was listed on RVtrader.

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2016-Lifestyle+Luxury+Rv-ALFA+GOLD+3405RK-5005496497/?zmc=leadReceipts-adDetail
dlgriffin11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 03:41 PM   #39

Palimono Sabre 31rets

Quote:
Those are pretty nice! I'll admit I've not even looked at Forest River due to horror stories I've heard on quality and poor customer service. But I do like those floor plans!
Love this unit, a 2011 model. Has table 4 chairs across from kitchen and two recliners and loveseat in entertainment area. Just take out the recliners and your set. No washer or dryer though. I also like that you can get to the bathroom and refer with slides in. Dana
Dana Anderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 04:18 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriswar View Post
We love our Arctic Fox truck camper. Been contemplating purchase of a fiver for a future home base. Would definitely consider Arctic Fox as a premium over most other brands. However be aware that the Arctic Fox brands are heavier than other brands of similar size. A penalty to pay for quality construction.
Yes indeed. Pin weight on our current 5th wheel is 3650 lbs and that's with empty tanks, and we travel very light in terms of what we load/take.
tophog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 05:59 PM   #41

We full-timed in a 37' Montana, with 4 slides. We had a desk on one slide, where I did my work, and the unit had plenty of room for sofa, 2 recliners and kitchen table with 4 chairs. The fridge and stove were on a slide, so we had a "big" kitchen (not quite a 2-butt kitchen though), with plenty of counter space. We never felt like we were cramped in our unit, because there were 3 slides in the kitchen/living area. I think 3 or 4 slides is better than 40+ foot length.
OlJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 11:27 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlJB View Post
We full-timed in a 37' Montana, with 4 slides. We had a desk on one slide, where I did my work, and the unit had plenty of room for sofa, 2 recliners and kitchen table with 4 chairs. The fridge and stove were on a slide, so we had a "big" kitchen (not quite a 2-butt kitchen though), with plenty of counter space. We never felt like we were cramped in our unit, because there were 3 slides in the kitchen/living area. I think 3 or 4 slides is better than 40+ foot length.
" I think 3 or 4 slides is better than 40+ foot length." ~~ I think 4 slides in 43' is even better!

Captn John is offline   Reply With Quote