Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2019, 09:29 AM   #15

It's expensive but look at the new Beacon 5th wheel. It's the big brother of the Vilano from the Tiffin family. Double pain windows, and real thick exterior walls.

But does it have to be a 5th wheel? If it were me I'd be looking at a Class A motorhome, about 35 feet, and it doesn't have to be an expensive diesel. Lots of storage inside and lots more storage outside. Better chance of maneuvering in Nat'l Parks. Many have floor plans that you wouldn't have to change for an office area. You wouldn't have to drive a dually everywhere you visit. And dare I say better built than a trailer?
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2019, 10:39 AM   #16

Do you ever use a kitchen table? Some do not. You could buy a model with a large slide that has a table in it and convert the whole space to an office.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:33 AM   #17

I have a Montana HC 370BR. The heavier Montana also has a BR floor plan ~~ BR for Bonus Room. I was going to remove 2 large drawers and have a large desk. My wife decided to leave the drawers and now has a craft room for painting, sewing, and more. When we evacuated for the hurricane my daughter used it as her private bedroom. Almost 43' long, 4 slide outs. Pulling with an F350 SRW.
Captn John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 12:02 PM   #18

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisavaet View Post
I just bought a new Duramax CC 4x4 dually a few months ago and am now planning to get into a new fiver before the summer hits here in Vegas.

I live full time in my fiver and still work as a software contractor so my next job might be in Dallas, Miami, Seattle, etc. I also can sometimes work remote. I need an office space big enough for a large monitor.

My current fiver is a 2011 Jayco Eagle 30 foot single slide narrow body rear kitchen. There is not a single drawer in the bedroom, there is almost no room for hanging clothes, not enough counter space for a coffee maker, etc. I want something more residential. I’d also like something I can easily boondock and work in.

My kids and granddaughter are in the Portland Seattle area so I travel there three to four times per year, so this isn’t a “park model”. I’m a small 59 year old woman and I travel solo... well... with a six pound chihuahua!

I’ve been looking at GD Solitude 375RES and Jayco Seismic 4212. The GD I could replace one of the two sofas with a desk. The Seismic I could use the garage and put in a desk and daybed. I’m looking at similar models too, but those are indicative. I’ve looked at things like 35 footers but would end up with no sofa or working on my dining table again I’m afraid.

With a big fiver I’ve got room for an office, generator prep, wardrobe, nice kitchen etc. but I’m looking at 41 to 45 feet! I don’t “need” that much space, but I want the amenities.

Can you guys with big fivers speak to living and traveled with them?

I’m not concerned about being too big for national parks. I don’t think anything I’ll get will be less than 35 feet. But I am concerned about getting around, boondocking at places like Quartzsite, etc.

Thanks!

Kate

We too are two fulltime IT workers who live in a Big 5er fulltime. We purchased a Grand Design Momentum 376th and removed one of the couches in the slide to make a dedicated office space.
We've been traveling around the Pacific Northwest for about 18 months now without many issues, but I'll list some of the less spoken about aspects about this lifestyle.

Keeping connected via Cellular in order to perform our jobs has been the biggest limiting factor. We simply just can't go where ever we want. We use tools to keep connected like a Cradlepoint WiFi/Cellular router, but I can't simply boondock in the bottom of a canyon along a river if I'd like.

We also can't fit into small campsites having a 41' trailer, so there is a little planning that goes with a larger unit.

We do take a 2nd vehicle with us for running around vs driving the dually truck everyplace.

We outfitted our trailer with 1800w of solar, 600ah of LiFePo4 batteries, and inverters to keep the generator runtime limited.

You may consider a model that uses Gasoline vs Propane for your generator (like the GD Momentum 376th.) That way in the wintertime you aren't competing for resources.

Here is our 'office'

At Holter Lake Montana;
Old 02-04-2019, 03:38 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natebert View Post
We too are two fulltime IT workers who live in a Big 5er fulltime. We purchased a Grand Design Momentum 376th and removed one of the couches in the slide to make a dedicated office space.
We've been traveling around the Pacific Northwest for about 18 months now without many issues, but I'll list some of the less spoken about aspects about this lifestyle.

Keeping connected via Cellular in order to perform our jobs has been the biggest limiting factor. We simply just can't go where ever we want. We use tools to keep connected like a Cradlepoint WiFi/Cellular router, but I can't simply boondock in the bottom of a canyon along a river if I'd like.

We also can't fit into small campsites having a 41' trailer, so there is a little planning that goes with a larger unit.

We do take a 2nd vehicle with us for running around vs driving the dually truck everyplace.

We outfitted our trailer with 1800w of solar, 600ah of LiFePo4 batteries, and inverters to keep the generator runtime limited.

You may consider a model that uses Gasoline vs Propane for your generator (like the GD Momentum 376th.) That way in the wintertime you aren't competing for resources.

Here is our 'office'

At Holter Lake Montana;
Now thats 'Livin the Dream'
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 05:24 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
Go on the Forest River Forum and see the response from their customers.
I would agree with this statement, we had a Cedar Creek before our River Stone Legacy and have received excellent help from both factories when needed, both on large or small issues.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 07:39 AM   #21

Thanks for all the input guys!
Old 02-06-2019, 04:49 PM   #22

I have a Northpoint 377rlbh. It has a rear living area and a mid-bunk house. The Bunk house is a separate room (slide out) with a desk and TV (could be a large monitor) with its own stereo, couch etc. I lived full time in it for a couple years and it was great. I think its perfect for what you are looking for and its got all the bells and whistles that make RVing a breeze, especially for one person. I recommend taking a look at it. I also added an Onan 5500 to the front storage for boondocking and I also have just a little 1K quite honda that will run the unit when A/C is not needed. Its big at nearly 43ft, but it pulls nicely.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:31 AM   #23

We also have the mid-bunk configuration and we LOVE it. We have 2 daughters and one daughter uses the mid-bunk room as her bedroom and the other has her room in the loft over the mid-bunk room. When they leave for college, we will use the mid-bunk as a den/study and the loft as storage.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 09:36 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrykalia View Post
We also have the mid-bunk configuration and we LOVE it. We have 2 daughters and one daughter uses the mid-bunk room as her bedroom and the other has her room in the loft over the mid-bunk room. When they leave for college, we will use the mid-bunk as a den/study and the loft as storage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceM. View Post
I have a Northpoint 377rlbh. It has a rear living area and a mid-bunk house. The Bunk house is a separate room (slide out) with a desk and TV (could be a large monitor) with its own stereo, couch etc. I lived full time in it for a couple years and it was great. I think its perfect for what you are looking for and its got all the bells and whistles that make RVing a breeze, especially for one person. I recommend taking a look at it. I also added an Onan 5500 to the front storage for boondocking and I also have just a little 1K quite honda that will run the unit when A/C is not needed. Its big at nearly 43ft, but it pulls nicely.
The bunk house models do seem popular for use as an office/study, but I've been concerned about how the closed space will do in the 120deg F temperatures we see here for several months at a time in LV. I'm not so concerned about cold as I LIKE it cold in the winter. But I can't deal with hot and stuffy.

Have you guys used the bunk room during extended high temp periods??

Thanks!
Kate
Old 02-08-2019, 09:50 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natebert View Post

Thanks for the information! I have a couple of questions if you don't mind
  1. Connectivity - I need to RDP into several servers across a VPN much of the day and have found that limiting even when in the city aggregating a Sprint and TMobile cell phone USB tether AND a Sprint Cell hotspot with Speedify WITH a WeBoost RV in metro Las Vegas. The cradlepoint doesn't look like a booster... maybe I'm just doing something wrong. Thoughts?
  2. Maneuvering for "gasoline" fill - How much of a challenge is it to fill up that gas tank on the toy hauler? I try to fill up my truck BEFORE I hook up, and am planning on a 70 gal aux tank to minimize the times needed to get fuel while connected and that's with my 30 footer! With a 42 to 45 footer the thought of finding "gasoline" is daunting!
  3. Slide office vs garage? Why did you put your office in a slide rather than in the garage? Does the garage stay cool enough with the AC?
  4. Patio use - Do you use the patio a lot? I've read that you can't leave them out in the rain as they often are not sealed well and the wood will swell, and with the "three season" doors you can't heat and cool them well. Do you like the patio? Would you recommend it? I'm considering one of the units with the side patio as well so if the patio isn't really useful it would be a waste.

Thanks!
Kate
Old 02-08-2019, 06:30 PM   #26

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks for the information! I have a couple of questions if you don't mind
  1. Connectivity - I need to RDP into several servers across a VPN much of the day and have found that limiting even when in the city aggregating a Sprint and TMobile cell phone USB tether AND a Sprint Cell hotspot with Speedify WITH a WeBoost RV in metro Las Vegas. The cradlepoint doesn't look like a booster... maybe I'm just doing something wrong. Thoughts?
  2. Maneuvering for "gasoline" fill - How much of a challenge is it to fill up that gas tank on the toy hauler? I try to fill up my truck BEFORE I hook up, and am planning on a 70 gal aux tank to minimize the times needed to get fuel while connected and that's with my 30 footer! With a 42 to 45 footer the thought of finding "gasoline" is daunting!
  3. Slide office vs garage? Why did you put your office in a slide rather than in the garage? Does the garage stay cool enough with the AC?
  4. Patio use - Do you use the patio a lot? I've read that you can't leave them out in the rain as they often are not sealed well and the wood will swell, and with the "three season" doors you can't heat and cool them well. Do you like the patio? Would you recommend it? I'm considering one of the units with the side patio as well so if the patio isn't really useful it would be a waste.

Thanks!
Kate
Hey Kate,

Connectivity: Do some reading on using a MiMo antenna vs a boosted signal. You may find that you'll end up pitching the WeBoost into the drawer of other totally useless electronics you've acquired over the years. We only use the WeBoost when we simply don't get ANY signal on MiMo. We've found that even a weak MiMo signal can offer much better bandwidth over a boosted signal with a Surecall/Weboost.

Bottom line, get a good external MiMo antenna on your rig and you'll be much better off for bandwidth. We're using a Cradlepoint 9-in-1 antenna and have a RFI LVPA Dual MiMo antenna from AU (it looks like it belongs on the DeathStar) on order for those occasions when you really need to reach out there.

Maneuvering for gasoline typically isn't a problem. I've learned to drag the 42' trailer through parking lots with confidence. I stay attached when I refill the 100g in-bed fuel tank on the truck, then pull forward and fill the fuel center at the rear of the trailer. If you've got a large 5th wheel trailer, you just learn that you aren't getting into most small stations without being in some peoples way.

Garage/Patio: Our trailer has a garage that is not accessible from the living space. Its a pretty new/unique floorplan that is quickly becoming more popular. (look up Grand Designs Momentum 376th) No patio like a traditional toy hauler. This maximizes living space in the rig as the bedroom is basically above the garage AND then you've got ample storage for all of those housewares to make it your home.

The garage full of solar parts ready to install.

Here is our garage with e-track installed, bicycles and a huge toolbox.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:51 PM   #27

Quote:
The bunk house models do seem popular for use as an office/study, but I've been concerned about how the closed space will do in the 120deg F temperatures we see here for several months at a time in LV. I'm not so concerned about cold as I LIKE it cold in the winter. But I can't deal with hot and stuffy.

Have you guys used the bunk room during extended high temp periods??

Thanks!
Kate
I don’t live far from Vegas myself and do a lot of trips to the damn, havasu etc every summer. I must admit, the A/C (2x15,000 btu) struggles to keep the unit comfortable during the really hot days. I have friends that employ a third A/C inside the coach which vents out a window and their 5er stays nice. But 115F is hard to do much with, regardless of the trailer you get and I’ve tried all the tricks. Best I can manage at extrem heat is about 88F. But honestly, I’m on the boat when it’s in the middle of the day!!!
LanceM. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:29 AM   #28

With two 15K units there is no problem now with AC to about 94 degrees. Cannot let the heat build, start cooling in the morning. I changed AC vents in the bathroom plus one in the bedroom and living room to adjustable. I partially restricted those 3. With the heat pump that is not a problem either. I changed the furnace duct in the bathroom to adjustable as it would get too warm in there. I only use the furnace at temps below 38.
We looked at several THs before finding the bonus room model ~ best choice ever.
Captn John is offline   Reply With Quote