Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2016, 09:28 AM   #1

Living without slide toppers

I am curious how the folks without slide toppers deal with it? With the 5vr I was looking at a topper install would be difficult as there wasn't sufficient room for mounting (Grand Design Reflection series). So (newbee here, I have no RV) when I look way up at the slides, how do you easily clean debris from the slide tops before retracting to prevent seal damage? One night at many state parks will yield some sticks and such. I don't want to drag a ladder out and check every time we want to bring in the slides?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2016, 09:35 AM   #2

I would not buy a camper that has slides without slide toppers installed by the factory. Now I have seen people who have campers without slide toppers on the roof and sweeping off the roof of the slides to eliminate debris and water from the top.

I would ask the dealer who you are thinking of buying from if the trailer is offered with slide toppers.

Old 06-09-2016, 09:51 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It really depends on where you camp. I went 15 years without them on 3 different 5th wheels and never gave it a second thought. I can count on my hand how many times I actually had to get on the roof and sweep the leaves off the slides. Most of my experience with them is watching people adding gadgets to make them stop slapping the roof in the wind, or sometimes even helping them retract them after a big wind storm.

This rig has them, but we've only had it a month so I have no experience with them yet.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:20 AM   #4

Elks, you are very correct being concerned with slide seal damage. We are new to the 5th wheel scene as our older mh didn't have slides. I now use the rear ladder to check for sticks, leaves, etc.... (no toppers yet) ...
Monkey

PS, although toppers would keep sticks and such off the slides, seems to me leaves and smaller things could gang up under them,,, just wondering.... ? I never really worry about it unless we are parked under trees...
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:32 AM   #5

How do you get the caulk seams with toppers on?
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:43 AM   #6

Contrary to popular belief, a broom works on many surfaces besides the floor. This includes the top of a slide. A broom will even work to clear debris from the bed of a pick-up! It's a very versatile tool.

I've seen so many ragged-looking slide toppers on full-time rigs that we decided against them. The wind can apparently wreak havoc on them.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBurg View Post
Contrary to popular belief, a broom works on many surfaces besides the floor. This includes the top of a slide. A broom will even work to clear debris from the bed of a pick-up! It's a very versatile tool.

I've seen so many ragged-looking slide toppers on full-time rigs that we decided against them. The wind can apparently wreak havoc on them.
LOL, X2, need to get up there and have a LOOK anyway!
Old 06-09-2016, 10:52 AM   #8

No toppers here and I haven't missed them. I do carry a ladder but many times I can just get fast enough back to view the roof for problems. While wintering in Fla, I had a neighbor who had a squirrel building a nest under the topper. Also they make a lot of racket when the wind kicks up. I suppose if you spend a lot of time where it is real hot, they might help but I think I'll live without them. Jmo
Old 06-09-2016, 11:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
LOL, X2, need to get up there and have a LOOK anyway!

Right?

Our rig has a ladder mounted on the back though, so it is pretty easy for us. The only time I need the super-foldy-extenda-ladder is when it's time to wax the paint.
Old 06-09-2016, 12:21 PM   #10

I had to get a stick off the top of a slide...once. really not a big issue
Old 06-09-2016, 01:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBurg View Post
Right?

Our rig has a ladder mounted on the back though, so it is pretty easy for us. The only time I need the super-foldy-extenda-ladder is when it's time to wax the paint.
Ladder on the back also, when it gets windy, I can bring in the awning and shades when flapping....
Old 06-09-2016, 02:06 PM   #12

No topper here. Thought about one. I've only had to clean my slide top a time or two in 10 years maybe. I cn think of one maybe two times we've had enough leaves to warrant sweeping. One time an acorn got under the seal and it leaked. Took one small thump to clear it. Remember when the wind starts beating them up there's only 1 way to protect them. Slide in.

I've seen kick balls and footballs under them to help stop flapping. And i've seen kickballs and footballs all wound up in them when they we're forgotten that they were up there. Plus, Ive seen there's no way to get up there to deploy and retrieve kickballs and footballs unless you carry a tall ladder with you.

We'll probably never get one.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:08 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
4 or 5 RVs. No toppers. Not a big deal. Never had a leak, although if the weather is really bad, may pull the slides in.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:21 PM   #14

3 slides....no toppers
7 yrs full timing and I would go up ladder and peek
If needed I would use that aforementioned device (broom) and sweep them off

My slides have 'seals' on outside wall of 5vr that slides press against when retracted
My slides have 'seals' on inside wall of 5vr that slides press against when extended
My slides have 'WIPERS' (top/sides) that wipe debris/moisture etc off of slides as they are being moved.

Tags
slide