Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2017, 08:59 AM   #15
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknavy View Post
These are what I run on my fiver, and they are great. They even survived a suspension failure at one tire, putting nearly all that sides weight on the other tire with no blow out or tire issue.

Same here. Used on 2 different 5ers now without a problem. They are built like a tank and US made.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2017, 04:08 PM   #16

Well, I went to check on my 5vr that is in for warranty work so I stopped by Sams Club on my way back to try one more location with them for tires. They carry Goodyear Endurance up to load range E so Sams/Wallyworld are out.

Stopped in to America’s Tire/Discount Tire and they have the Goodyear load range G, Provider, Hartland and another I cannot remember. The Goodyear has a capacity of 3,750lbs per tire at $299ea. I have three 8,000lb axles for a GAWR OF 24,000 whereas the trailer only has a 21,000 GVWR so they would work. The Provider tires by Taskmaster has a tire capacity of 4080lb per tire at $185 ea. The Hartland is also a 4080lb capacith all steel as mentioned in a previous post. Hartland is another tire I have not heard of but it’s heavy.

Went to Tire Pros and they suggested Hi-Line or Highline tires (not sure of spelling). 4080lb capacity per tire about same price as the Providers. I’ve never heard of them but apparently it is a Tire Pros tire.

I found that in So Cal, Midas carries the Saliun tire brand so I will check with them to see if they can get the tires to equal or be a little better than the axle capacity.

I have the Providers on my 5vr now and the trailer is coming up on one year old but the tires are coming up on being 5 years old with a date stamp of 1013. Manufacturer cutting corners and getting cheap using old tires in their factory direct business model.
Joe11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 04:33 PM   #17

Mid Atlantic Campers
Name brand tires

I have always been one to stay with top of the line name brand tires. I have Michelin on both my truck and trailer.
It is a piece of mind thing -- I guess.

Don
Old 11-16-2017, 06:13 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don & Pat View Post
I have always been one to stay with top of the line name brand tires. I have Michelin on both my truck and trailer.
It is a piece of mind thing -- I guess.

Don
I checked out the Michelin XPS Rib and the listed weight capacity was 3048lb per tire which is not enough for my 5vr.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:06 PM   #19

Quote:
The Provider tires by Taskmaster has a tire capacity of 4080lb per tire at $185 ea. The Hartland is also a 4080lb capacith all steel as mentioned in a previous post.
The Providers come OEM on several heavy equipment trailers (Starlite/PJ) with 6k and 7k axles.
I have a set of Provider ST235/80-16 E 3520 lb capacity with 6k axles on a 12k car hauler. The Providers are one of the new gen M speed rated (81 mph) ST tire.
Their dot dated to '11 and with around 28k miles no issues. They carry a 2900/6000 lb per tire load at 75 mph all day long.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:55 PM   #20

Sams Club and Cosco as you have found will do anything NOT to take care of anything related to an RV. IE tires and house 6V batteries.

If you have a Les Schwab tire store near you they sell a “GeoStar” brand G rated all steel tire in your size. Chinese of course like the Sailun. I understand that some other tire stores also sell GeoStar tires.

I put 4 on my 5W 5 years ago and they have been OK, very seldom do I even have to add air to them.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:43 AM   #21

Costco. They're nationwide, and most have a well stocked tire shop, with knowledgeable staff.
jim.osborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 08:26 AM   #22

Man that is good news to my ears. Just put four on my Columbus fifth wheel. Good to see real life numbers for these tires. Thanks. 😸
Corky1009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 07:30 AM   #23

I was in the same spot looking for a tire with nation wide service. ended up at discount tire America putting on the good year "G" . we have local dealership that quoted me a great price out the door on the Goodyear and discount matched it saving me couple hundred dollars. along with 12 months no interest. although the heartland brand (private label)looked real good and has a higher speed rating considerably less expensive. its a tough decision good luck.
Old 11-23-2017, 09:22 AM   #24

Sailuns 14 ply side wall. Order on line at simpletire.com they will ship to your tire shop. Best 16" RV tire made. Watch the on line price, they change up $ down weekly. I bought 4 delivered to Big-O tires cost was $545 delivered, six months ago.
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 09:38 AM   #25

We ran Goodyear G 614's on two different Montana fivers while full timing. I never worried about traveling across country and needing a repair shop that sold them every 50 miles because in over 45,000 miles we never had an issue. If you want a bullet proof set up for you tires on a heavy fiver then get the 614's and a good TPMS and forget about it.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 11:41 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe11 View Post
Am I just talking to the wrong people? I went to Sams Club and Walmart (only because they are in almost every town) looking for tires. 235/85/16 load G range. Both places came up with nothing. I could probably go to my local tire shop but I figured if I had a tire problem on the road, there is generally a Walmart or Sams somewhere nearby.
What size tires were on the trailer as Original Equipment? I know you've said your total GAWR is 24000# but is it really that high? Is that figure from the three axles listed on the certification label? It would be very unusual for any trailer manufacturer to set total GAWR above GVWR on any RV trailer. It would just be begging the owner to overload GVWR, which is the ultimate limiting factor.

OE tires MUST have a load capacity - via inflation - that will support the vehicle manufacturer's certified GAWRs. (MINIMUM!). Tire industry standards unanimously support the vehicle manufacturer's minimum tire load capacity. Retailers are supposed to only recommend replacement tires that equal or exceed the load capacity of the OE tires. (Design is a toss-up).

With new sizes and increased load capacities being introduced by the ST tire manufacturer's almost monthly it's going to be very hard to switch designs by saying there is no load capacity available with the ST tires.

Goodyear has introduced a new size, ST255/85R16E with a load capacity of 4080# @ 80 PSI and it has a "N" speed rating.

The "off shore" manufacturers have introduced the ST235/80R16F With a load capacity of 3630# @ 95 PSI with a "L" speed letter. There are others with LRG having 3750#, 4080# & 4400# ratings, all above the old 65 MPH speed rating.

p.s. If the OE tires do not provide enough load capacity to support the certified individual GAWRs it's a safety violation, when/if reported, would prompt a recall for a certification label change or tire replacement/upgrade by the vehicle manufacturer. (My bet would be on certification label modification).
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 01:19 PM   #27

Fast Eagle - My GVWR is #21,000 but I have three #8,000 axles for a GAWR of The original tires are Providers with #4,080 capacity at 110psi on 16” rims. The regional sales rep for Saliun was supposed to contact me this week but that didn’t happen.
Old 11-23-2017, 04:23 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe11 View Post
Fast Eagle - My GVWR is #21,000 but I have three #8,000 axles for a GAWR of The original tires are Providers with #4,080 capacity at 110psi on 16” rims. The regional sales rep for Saliun was supposed to contact me this week but that didn’t happen.
All I was saying about the axles is that it's very unusual for them to be set above the trailer's GVWR. The individual axle certification of 8000# does not have to be used by the vehicle manufacturer. The vehicle manufacturer sets GAWRs. Normally they would set the axles GAWRs by subtracting the hitch weight from the projected GVWR and dividing by 3. Does the trailer's certification label depict the axle's GAWRs as 8000# ea.?

I'm not questioning the validity of having 8000# axles. I'm just questioning the GAWR certification.
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires