RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-01-2019, 10:12 AM   #1
Member
 
Mr Mustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 43
Angry Load humming from power distribution cabinet

Hi all, we have a 2014 Montana 5th wheel (38' front living) there is a humming sound that seems to be getting louder over the years, coming from the power distribution cabinet, any ideas what that is and how to correct? I removed the access panel in the basement and saw nothing loose! Humming only happens when plugged into shore power!
__________________

__________________
2014 F 350 SD 4 wheel drive
2014 38' Montana 5 th wheel
Mr Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2019, 10:17 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: In the boonies outside Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 133
Likely the cooling fan is getting noisy bearings
Try pulling the cover off on interior side. Fan should be visible.
Sometimes you can remove fan pull sticker off the hub and add a few drops of oil.

RoadrunnerII
__________________

__________________
TV: 2016 F250 Lariat Screw 6.7 PSD
Trailer:2012 Jayco Eagle Superlite 315RLDS
RoadrunnerII is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:29 AM   #3
Member
 
Mr Mustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadrunnerII View Post
Likely the cooling fan is getting noisy bearings
Try pulling the cover off on interior side. Fan should be visible.
Sometimes you can remove fan pull sticker off the hub and add a few drops of oil.

RoadrunnerII
Maybe I didn't explain properly, it's the cabinet that houses the switches for lights and tank monitoring system, no fan visible from basement all I see when panel removed is main power in and out!
__________________
2014 F 350 SD 4 wheel drive
2014 38' Montana 5 th wheel
Mr Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:34 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: In the boonies outside Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 133
Have you tried removing pedistal 120 Volt AC power and disconnecting battery and tightening all connections?
Could be a loose connection on anything from a breaker to a buse bar

RoadrunnerII
__________________
TV: 2016 F250 Lariat Screw 6.7 PSD
Trailer:2012 Jayco Eagle Superlite 315RLDS
RoadrunnerII is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 11:24 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 10,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mustang View Post
Hi all, we have a 2014 Montana 5th wheel (38' front living) there is a humming sound that seems to be getting louder over the years, coming from the power distribution cabinet, any ideas what that is and how to correct? I removed the access panel in the basement and saw nothing loose! Humming only happens when plugged into shore power!



Converter......


What brand/model is yours?
__________________
Is it time for YOUR medication or MINE
2007 Dodge 3500 w/Tractor Motor & NUWA 5vr
US NAVY---USS Decatur DDG-31
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 12:31 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 115
It's likely coming from your converter. It's taking 120V AC and converting it to 12V DC. It requires a transformer to step the voltage down from 120 to 12, and a rectifier to switch from AC to DC.

Depending on how bad it is, it could be normal. Transformers make some hum in operation. It's just the layers of the laminated iron core vibrating together. They get noisier when they wear out.
__________________
John Morgan
1996 Western RV Alpenlite 31RL Augusta
1999 Ford F-350 XLT Crew 7.3 Powerstroke, ATS torque converter, Edge Products Juice Box
AKFlyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 01:39 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 18,051
If its the converter, it may be working harder, and getting louder, if your batteries are aging.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 01:49 PM   #8
Member
 
Mr Mustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 43
Thanks everyone for your support! Will try things later! Will post with results ✌��️
__________________
2014 F 350 SD 4 wheel drive
2014 38' Montana 5 th wheel
Mr Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:19 PM   #9
Member
 
Mr Mustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 43
All better!

Thanks everyone for jumping right in to help. It turned out to be my transfer switch was vibrating against the outer wall, put some foam weather strip on the back and it's better than it was when new. ( it always made some noise )
__________________
2014 F 350 SD 4 wheel drive
2014 38' Montana 5 th wheel
Mr Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:37 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mustang View Post
Thanks everyone for jumping right in to help. It turned out to be my transfer switch was vibrating against the outer wall, put some foam weather strip on the back and it's better than it was when new. ( it always made some noise )
Had a transfer switch start increasing in hum noise on a KZ toy hauler a few years back. Had it looked at and was told ďitís normalĒ. A few weeks later smelled smoke in the coach, tracked it down to...the transfer switch. Cooked one of the connections inside. Just mentioning for you to keep an eye on it.
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:17 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Nine Mile Falls WA / Arizona City AZ
Posts: 941
Power that runs through switches create a magnetic field... to the 60 cycle sine wave... the same way some light flicker... this field can make the breaker vibrate thus the sound...



The important issue... is that the panel shouldn't be warm or hot... a warm or hot panel means a bad connection, that heat is a resistance and later a fire.... if its warmer than the rest of the panel or hot.... FIX IT NOW
__________________
Retired Business Owner, Re-manufacturing HD Clutches, Brake Shoes, Air Compressors, Sales & Installation of PacBrake and other Industrial Friction
jelag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 08:19 AM   #12
Member
 
Mr Mustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhooker View Post
Had a transfer switch start increasing in hum noise on a KZ toy hauler a few years back. Had it looked at and was told ďitís normalĒ. A few weeks later smelled smoke in the coach, tracked it down to...the transfer switch. Cooked one of the connections inside. Just mentioning for you to keep an eye on it.
Thank you for the response, will keep an eye on it.
__________________
2014 F 350 SD 4 wheel drive
2014 38' Montana 5 th wheel
Mr Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 08:23 AM   #13
Member
 
Mr Mustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelag View Post
Power that runs through switches create a magnetic field... to the 60 cycle sine wave... the same way some light flicker... this field can make the breaker vibrate thus the sound...



The important issue... is that the panel shouldn't be warm or hot... a warm or hot panel means a bad connection, that heat is a resistance and later a fire.... if its warmer than the rest of the panel or hot.... FIX IT NOW
Wow! What is this panel you speak of? Thanks for the response!
__________________
2014 F 350 SD 4 wheel drive
2014 38' Montana 5 th wheel
Mr Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 11:17 PM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 21
Sounds like the convertor, I had the same problem it got louder over a couple months and then went out completely.
__________________

BriarPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
power



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Load Distribution Hitch FTWLino Travel Trailer Discussion 10 08-22-2017 08:45 PM
2017 Creekside 20FQ, Tongue Weight, and Load Distribution OregonPerson Outdoors RV Owner's Forum 14 04-24-2017 07:28 AM
Load Leveling Suspension - Instl Weight Distribution Hitch gbqbar12 Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion 1 09-02-2016 08:18 AM
Load distribution balancing to achieve tongue weight kenn_chan Travel Trailer Discussion 17 01-20-2014 07:30 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.