Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2011, 07:20 PM   #15

There are USA tire manufacturing facilities .
Another link that might be useful: tire plant codes.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2011, 07:26 PM   #16

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Due to the amount of tire distortion that a trailer tire goes through when turning sharp corners (like backing into a space) ST (Special Trailer) tires are recommended on trailers. The LT's are Light Truck tires and aren't rated for trailers.
Yes, I know, some people use them (against the advice of the trailer and tire manufacturers).
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:52 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Due to the amount of tire distortion that a trailer tire goes through when turning sharp corners (like backing into a space) ST (Special Trailer) tires are recommended on trailers. The LT's are Light Truck tires and aren't rated for trailers.
Yes, I know, some people use them (against the advice of the trailer and tire manufacturers).
Actually the ST is a compromise in sidewall stiffnes between a P tire and a LT tire according to one ST tire manufacturer.

A LT is rated for a trailer/drive and steer position. In fact Michelin says there XPS Ribs are recommended for commercial trailer service.

Some of the higher end RV and commercial trailers come from the manufacturer with LT tires or are a upgrade option.
LTs and P were used for years on all trailers before the tire industry gave us the infamous ST tire.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:05 PM   #18

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
The LT's are Light Truck tires and aren't rated for trailers.
The Goodyear G614 RST is a trailer-specific tire. It only comes as an LT235/85R-16 LRG. Don't believe me? Check it out HERE for yourself.

As was previously stated, the LT Michelin XPS Ribs are recommended for commercial trailer service as well.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:08 AM   #19

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMNLIN View Post
Actually the ST is a compromise in sidewall stiffnes between a P tire and a LT tire according to one ST tire manufacturer.

A LT is rated for a trailer/drive and steer position. In fact Michelin says there XPS Ribs are recommended for commercial trailer service.

Some of the higher end RV and commercial trailers come from the manufacturer with LT tires or are a upgrade option.
LTs and P were used for years on all trailers before the tire industry gave us the infamous ST tire.
ST type tires have been around for over 30 years so I'm not sure what you intended to communicate with your comment considering that "P" type tires are about the same age. In 1977 we still had "Alpha" tire sizes like GR70-15 with "P" type being a relatively new introduction.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:58 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
ST type tires have been around for over 30 years so I'm not sure what you intended to communicate with your comment considering that "P" type tires are about the same age. In 1977 we still had "Alpha" tire sizes like GR70-15 with "P" type being a relatively new introduction.
Your correct. However why clutter up/hyjack and confuse a tire thread with describing the tires Alpha name. Those old E/F/G/H 78 or 70 or 60 or 50 series -13" or 14" or 15" were still a P as in passenger car tire regardless. ST tires of that era also used the letter designations such as a H78-15 6 ply for example

Same with the 14/15/16" truck tires with the old 6.70-15 or the 7.50-16/etc number designations which is still light truck tire (LT).

The trailer industry was here many many years before the tire industry gave us the ST tire and we used car and truck tires of that era or a P /LT as we call them today.
IMO the OP would have a safer tire by using the D tire at max pressures than derate a E (80 psi) tire on a 65 psi wheel for a tire on a trailer.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:43 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by royjeri View Post
I have 235/80R16 Load Range D on my 5th wheel now but am thinking about upgrading rims and tires to Load Range E 235/80R16. Is there any differences in the outside measurements between the load ranges? I don't have a lot of fender skirt clearance on my Jayco Eagle and only 2 inches between the tires.
In the reference you will find the specs for both of the sized tires you have mentioned here. As you can see they are nearly identical. The LRE might be slightly heavier.

IMO any rim rated for 3000# will also be rated for 80 psi. But to be safe you should check with the rim manufacturer.

Trailer

FastEagle
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:52 PM   #22

[QUOTE=Tireman9;912508]There are a number of points I don't see mentioned in the thread.
To start with, you didn't provide the complete tire size as molded on your original tires. A complete size might be "LT215/85R16 115R Load Range E"

I have seen no mention of your actual individual axle by axle, side to side loads. While most TT have at least a 5% variation, I have seen a few at more than 18% load variation. [QUOTE]

The tires in question really don’t need the ST prefix as the numbers are for ST tires ONLY.

Yes, it's nice to know the loads on each end of all your trailer's axles. It tells you two major things. When added together you get your total GAW. Next it assists you in understanding your loads and if they need adjustment to even things out.

FastEagle
Old 07-27-2011, 01:11 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
The Goodyear G614 RST is a trailer-specific tire. It only comes as an LT235/85R-16 LRG. Don't believe me? Check it out HERE for yourself.

As was previously stated, the LT Michelin XPS Ribs are recommended for commercial trailer service as well.

Rusty
Michelin no longer recommends the XPS Rib for trailer service in any of their publications. In the reference below you will find their Truck Tire Service Manual and Truck Tire Data Books to both be 2011 editions. If you do take the time to browse through them take a look at their icon presentations. RV trailers of any sort will not be found there either.

Michelin Americas Truck Tires Reference Materials Page

FastEagle
Old 07-27-2011, 01:35 PM   #24

Texas Boomers Club
Try contacting Michelin directly, as I took the trouble to do. Their response follows:

Quote:
August 06, 2010

Hi Rusty;

Thank you for your email. We welcome the opportunity to serve you.

Obviously the utilization of the XPS Rib tires are limited, as they are only manufactured in 16" sizes, LRE (10 ply) versions.

It is an all steel radial casing design and strength, making it long lasting, durable and also retreadable.
In its class nothing better, excellent for a commercial trailer tire.

Only draw back (we see you are in Houston) it is NOT an all season tire.

Highly recommended for your application!

Mike T.
Michelin North America
Consumer Care Department
Certified Michelin Product Expert
I've used the XPS Ribs successfully on previous 5th wheels where other tires have failed, as have many others. These tires are also commonly used among oil field hot-shotters as trailer tires on heavily-loaded gooseneck trailers.

Rusty
Old 07-27-2011, 04:09 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by royjeri View Post
I have 235/80R16 Load Range D on my 5th wheel now but am thinking about upgrading rims and tires to Load Range E 235/80R16. Is there any differences in the outside measurements between the load ranges? I don't have a lot of fender skirt clearance on my Jayco Eagle and only 2 inches between the tires.

Two inches is about the min, give or take a half for spring movement.

I have done the ST 15" to LT 16" tire on my holiday Rambler and my Dads 5th wheel. Both of them pull straiter , and are better in high cross winds. I dont see any draw backs to the tire upgrade. Both of ours have BFG comercial TA tires on them. I have never seen the tire temps more then 15* above air temp. For tose that may be giving this some though the sell 16" rims that have 6 lugs so those camper that have 5,000 lb rated axels can do the upgrade to a 225/75/16E and have a LT tire rated to hold max weight + and still have basicly the same size tire that was on it. I found the tire was about 1/2" wider , all I had to do was trim a 1/4" off the plastic fenders to clear all the time.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:54 PM   #26

Heres another email response from Michelin customer service and the XPS Ribs that FastEagle has been shown several times on other web sites;

Quote:
MICHELINS XPS RIBS RESPONCE
"OK this is not to stir things up, and most people on here already know the XPS Rib is a great tire. It was brougt up in a thread that the XPS Rib is not for use on trailers so I emailed Michelin to get a response to this matter.
Email response was:

Quote:
Thank you for your email. We welcome the opportunity to serve you.
Joe,
The Michelin XPS Rib can be used for recreational vehicles, trailer
travelers and pick up trucks. This is an all around tire for many different applications. I hope this answer your question. Again, thank you for being a Michelin consumer.
It is our goal to ensure that your issue has been resolved or your question answered to your satisfaction. If we can assist you further, please respond to this email or call us at 1-800-847-3435 (toll free) between 8:00AM and 8:00PM Eastern Time Monday through Friday or between 9:00AM and 5:00PM Eastern Time on Saturday.

Michelin North America
Consumer Care Department
Old 07-28-2011, 07:51 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMNLIN View Post
Heres another email response from Michelin customer service and the XPS Ribs that FastEagle has been shown several times on other web sites;

You know just as well as I do that LT tires can be used on the RV trailer axles. And when Michelin reps are called they will tell you the same thing. That doesn’t make it an endorsement. The post that started this insinuated that Michelin does endorse and advertise their XPS Ribs for trailers when in fact they do not. (They are not an all season tires and a flat out company endorsement would be misleading). I posted both of Michelins references where such endorsement might be found and there is none there. Both references are 2011 Michelin documents.

Here is what was said in post # 17 -- “ A LT is rated for a trailer/drive and steer position. In fact Michelin says there XPS Ribs are recommended for commercial trailer service.”

According to their publications that’s not a true statement.

Here is what I said that has and always does get your ire up -- “Michelin no longer recommends the XPS Rib for trailer service in any of their publications. In the reference below you will find their Truck Tire Service Manual and Truck Tire Data Books to both be 2011 editions. If you do take the time to browse through them take a look at their icon presentations. RV trailers of any sort will not be found there either.”

Notice that I said “no longer”. That’s a pretty good indication that once they did and now they don’t.

That in no way implies the brand or more specifically the XPS Rib cannot be used on RV trailer axles as long as they meet the load capacities depicted on the individual trailer’s tire placard.

There is a more important standard that has been skirted here - what does the vehicle manufacturer recommend for replacements?

FastEagle

RV Trailer Tires
Old 07-28-2011, 08:03 PM   #28

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle View Post
There is a more important standard that has been skirted here - what does the vehicle manufacturer recommend for replacements?
Ummmm.....you mean the same vehicle manufacturer who put the OEM China Bomb ST tires on the RV in the first place??? I believe I'll take the Michelin rep's recommendation regarding tire applications over theirs, thank you very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle View Post
And when Michelin reps are called they will tell you the same thing. That doesn’t make it an endorsement.
I really don't understand what your problem is with the XPS Rib. They have been proven over time to solve repetitive failures where their limited sizing and load range availability allows them to be applied.

As far as endorsements go:

Quote:
In its class nothing better, excellent for a commercial trailer tire.

Highly recommended for your application!
That's enough of an endorsement for me. Others can decide for themselves - it's their money, their rigs and their decisions.

Rusty