Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2009, 12:20 PM   #1

I don't get it. I recently purchased a Valley 25 k 5er hitch. The release handle is not lockable. In my 10 year old 20K Reese the handle was lockable. I contacted the company and asked if they sold a retrofit kit and further inquired as to why they didn't include this feature. Technical services said they have never had a request for it. I requested that in light of recent punks pulling the handles on parked hitched 5th wheel hitches and the damage caused, why they wouldn't consider adding it. I requested the customer agent go to engineering and ask and call me back. So far, I have heard zip. I work at U C Berkeley in Civil and Environmental Engineering.
While I know as a driver it's my responsibility to check before pulling away from a stop but why not add a feature so you can prevent the problem to start with? IMHO, it's just poor engineering not to sell hitches that can not be locked. While we are at it, why do hitch manufacturers sell 1000$ hitches and fail to provide a security system to prevent hitch theft like lockable hitch pins for the rails? Why should we, as consumers, accept such a disgrace. I can't believe that Valley hitch has never before had this request!
Opinions??

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2009, 01:26 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
No Lock!

Better get used to dropping the front jacks, manually locking the trailer brakes and step on the accelerator after each and every stop when you leave your rig unattended. Never know when someone will mess with your hitch like pulling the latch and watching to see what happens.

Did you, by any chance, buy the hitch sight unseen? If so ask the dealer for a refund if he didn't show it to you first.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 02:06 PM   #3

That is scary. And, Im with you - Im not too sure I would believe they have never had a request for a lockable handle. It seems their competitors do have them.

I use the padlock hasp to hold the halyard for the breakaway cable and it assures me the handle isnt going to slip out which might allow the hitch jaws to open.

There is nothing else to prevent the jaws from opening when the handle hasp is not in place.

I would make something or have something fabricated - but wouldnt be without it.

Thanks for the warning on Valley hitches. Arent they now sold under the name of Husky? I know the Valley web site still exists, but I dont know if they are still doing business as Valley.

email: bruce.wittmeier@cox.net
wittmeba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 06:29 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally posted by K-Star:

Did you, by any chance, buy the hitch sight unseen? If so ask the dealer for a refund if he didn't show it to you first.
Paul

I hope you don't take offense to my comment. It was not made with that in mind. It does happen. I have known people who buy a trailer where a hitch is included and the dealer installs one sight unseen.

I too am surprised to hear a 5th wheel hitch not having some sort of locking mechanism.

2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
Old 02-11-2009, 07:26 AM   #5

Yes, when I bought the truck I bought it from 300 miles away from home. I sent up 1000$ and asked them to send out the truck and install the largest 5er hitch by a known manufacturer they could find, a brake controller, an extension for the electrical in the bed of the truck, and a spray in bedliner and sidesteps before I took delivery. I never saw what they were putting in.I just took the salespersons word on everything. This is the 3rd truck I have bought from them and had no reason to suspect the hitch didn't have a lock. No K-star, I take no offense at the question.
-Paul R. Haller-
Old 02-11-2009, 08:05 AM   #6

I placed another call to customer service and spoke to Ken about this issue and asked to speak to someone who was in a position to correct this oversight. I was told that the vice president was in a meeting until Monday and that Ken had left both an email and a note on his desk to please call me. I'll keep you posted.
-Paul R. Haller-
Old 02-11-2009, 09:53 AM   #7

Sorry you have this problem with Valley. We were newbies when we purchased our Valley power pull 15k hitch and since it had no side to side movement ability it developed cracks that scared the c*** out of us. We purchased a Reese on the road and were able to take it back to the shop where purchased and he shipped it back to the factory. They instructed him to refund our $$. Due to that experience we wouldn't buy another of their products. Keep after them, you shouldn't settle for a poor design.
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:06 AM   #8

I, too, am a bit surprised that there isn't a provision to put a lock on it.

The B&W I have comes with a pin that can either hold the jaws in the open position, or put them in the locked position, and I've been meaning to put a padlock in place of that pin.

I'm not too familiar with the Valley/Husky 5th wheel hitch, but I wouldn't think it could be too hard to maybe weld something up?

I totally agree, though, lockable is IMHO an important feature you shouldn't have to add yourself.
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:11 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
don't know the price off the top of my head, but Reese makes a 24K hitch. If you are lucky, maybe the mounting rails are the same as another brand and you can at least use that as a bargaining tool.

You would be surprised how many RV dealers and salespeople never RV'ed. They probably don't even understand the importance of being able to lock the hitch. I worked at a dealership for a short period of time and of 8 salespeople and 3 managers, NONE had ever RV'ed.

2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
Old 02-12-2009, 12:32 PM   #10

I've noticed that at some dealers, too.

These days, I'd bet a lot of RV sales people couldn't afford to own an RV...
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:33 PM   #11

My hitch did not have a lock so I made one. The bole holding the arm on was replaces with an eyebolt. Several chain liks installed to reach the eye were crimped in place. A padlocl completed the setup. I use it although it is difficule to unlick my hitch if it has a pulling strain on it. I even have to back into it to unlock when parking.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:04 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally posted by Richard M. Clark:
My hitch did not have a lock so I made one. The bole holding the arm on was replaces with an eyebolt. Several chain liks installed to reach the eye were crimped in place. A padlocl completed the setup. I use it although it is difficule to unlick my hitch if it has a pulling strain on it. I even have to back into it to unlock when parking.
Good ole American ingenuity!

2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
Old 03-14-2009, 05:42 PM   #13

Send a message via ICQ to Steve Rankin
We've never had anyone mess with our hitch set up, but then we always put padlocks on it. IMHO, customer service agents are trained to say "We've never had that problem before." So is management. See, as soon as they admit that other folks have had the same problem they look bad for not dealing with it. Don't think this is true? Just look at the record for the cigarette and auto companies.

Steve Rankin is offline   Reply With Quote